Was this Euro spec Ferrari 348 supplied new in Japan? | FerrariChat

Was this Euro spec Ferrari 348 supplied new in Japan?

Discussion in 'Asia' started by Davsk1, Apr 22, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Davsk1

Davsk1 Karting

May 10, 2016
    Lincolnshire UK
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Could anyone shed any light as to the origin of this car? It was imported to the UK from Japan in 2015 but I'm wondering if it was supplied into Japan from new.

It has various Japanese stickers around the car however the chassis number decodes as an original European spec:

The 1st digit
    Z = Italy
    The 2nd digit identifies the badge.
    F = Ferrari
    The 3rd digit identifies the manufacturer.
    F = Ferrari
    The 4th digit identifies the engine.
    K = 348 Euro early
    The 5th digit is used for seatbelts/airbag system
    A = 3-point inertia belts with auto retractors for front
    The 6th & 7th digit identify to specific model
    35 = 348 TB, GTB & GTC
    The 8th digit is for the market the car was manufactured for
    B = LHD European

I would have expected the 8th digit to be J = LHD Japan (also JAP or JPN) if it was supplied there but I believe it is desirable in Japan to specify cars identical to their country of origin ie. left hand drive, but maybe this one was one step further and ordered as Italian spec.

It's possible it was originally supplied into Europe but later imported into Japan as a used car, would it be normal for the stickers to be applied in that case ?

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. tantumaude

tantumaude Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 3, 2016
    Burlington, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mat
    I seem to recall reading that the VINs started showing J or JPN around 1989 or 90. What year is the car?

3. Davsk1

Davsk1 Karting

May 10, 2016
    Lincolnshire UK
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Thanks for info, the car is registered as 1990 and I believe the build date will have been late 89 so it's possible the car came before the J part came in.

4. martinperry

martinperry Karting

Jun 4, 2008
    Sawbridgeworth, UK
    Full Name:
    Martin Perry
    As I understand it, Japan had lots of "Grey" imports around this time. I have a 1991 Testarossa that was supplied by Maranello in Egham to Middle east spec straight to Japan. Not sure why this was exactly - presumably supply and demand.
    Pretty sure the stickers you have shown relate to an aftermarket Cat setup to meet Japanese emission regs.

5. Davsk1

Davsk1 Karting

May 10, 2016
    Lincolnshire UK
    Full Name:
    Dave
    I did a translate on the emissions sticker and it does seem that way, it says something about FY 1999 so maybe the car was imported to Japan as a 9 or 10 year old car.

How did you find out the origin of your car was it in the history with the car ? I have nothing that goes that far back . Image Unavailable, Please Login

6. martinperry

martinperry Karting

Jun 4, 2008
    Sawbridgeworth, UK
    Full Name:
    Martin Perry
    I was lucky enough to get the original Japanese Deregistration document (which shows original Jap registration date) Along with confirmation from Maranello. Also, it has a "T" code and an Arabic build plate!!
    I would say 100% that yours is euro spec - JPN was in use from 1980 or so in Jap spec cars - see

https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/how-to-read-ferrari-vin-vehicle-identification-number.318113/

If you want to give Ferrari about £700 they will confirm build spec for you.

Enjoy the car - these Japanese maintained cars are amazing - So good I've made a hobby of importing them!