Watch Service Question on different calibers | FerrariChat

Watch Service Question on different calibers

Discussion in 'Fine Watches, Jewelry, & Clothes' started by DoubleD33, Apr 8, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. DoubleD33

DoubleD33 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

May 2, 2012
    Pasadena, CA / Oahu, HI
    Full Name:
    Dan D
    Forgive me if this I am not describing this well as I know nothing about how a watch works.

The wife has a speedmaster chrono. It is about 4 years old. It has had a few problems with time accuracy. When taking it in for service I was told that the adjustments on this caliber are not that easy to make regarding the way the hair spring adjust. Not impossible but just not easy.

I am looking to buy two more watches and I don’t want to buy something that has the same issue or what I perceive to be an issue.

I am looking at a men’s seamaster PO chrono, Rolex deep sea, and a women’s Rolex date just.

My question is are the above three watches similar to the speedmaster under the hood? Are they more user friendly when servicing?

2. flat_plane_eddie

flat_plane_eddie F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 30, 2013
    NE FL
    Full Name:
    Eddie
    Chronograph movements have additional parts and are more complicated so they always require a bit more work. Omegas are fairly reliable and well made, not sure if yours is just an anomaly or the way that specific model is.

The ladies Rolex Datejust is a Honda Civic as far as reliabilty goes. Each generation has its own small issues but overall they’re fairly solid. My watchmaker actually prefers the 80s and 90s 2135 caliber more since the 2000s 2235 caliber has one expensive issue with a pinion or axle (don’t remember exactly).

The DEEPSEA has the 3135 movement which is pretty much bulletproof.

3. DoubleD33

DoubleD33 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

May 2, 2012
    Pasadena, CA / Oahu, HI
    Full Name:
    Dan D
    Some good info and exactly what I was looking for. Thanks

4. Fiat2Ferrari

Fiat2Ferrari Karting

Nov 2, 2013
    Chicago
    I will add to the perception that Omegas are normally bullet-proof. I can still pick up my grandfather's gold retirement watch and it works.

I have owned just about every iteration of the Speedmaster and can say the men's size movements (321, 861, 1860, 1040, 1045, 1150, etc.) are all bullet proof. I have zero experience with the women's version (I would imagine the caliber is different.) The SeaMasters are all bullet-proof in my opinion.

Have you thought about buying her a Speedmaster Reduced? Or a full-sized model? I bought my wife a Sothis Spirit of the Moon (larger watch) and she loves it. I have the twin, of course.

5. Shaun Oriold1

Shaun Oriold1 Karting

Mar 21, 2008
    Burlington, Ontario. Canada
    Full Name:
    shaun
    Dan,

I see you're in Pasadena. The guys at LA watchworks are awesome, and can help service any watch you might get. I just bought something from HQ Milton, and they shipped it to the guys in Pasadena to pick up in person. They were super friendly, open, and accommodating. I'll happily ship my watches to them from Canada for service opposed to going to a AD.

6. DoubleD33

DoubleD33 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

May 2, 2012
    Pasadena, CA / Oahu, HI
    Full Name:
    Dan D
    I probably should start a thread on these guys. We had a falling out. I have a great letter (sacarsm) from Eric the part owner I should post.

I think the other guy there that is a partner somehow is a stand up guy. Sad he got mixed up with Eric.

I know a few people use them but I have since switched to ABC in downtown LA.

7. DoubleD33

DoubleD33 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

May 2, 2012
    Pasadena, CA / Oahu, HI
    Full Name:
    Dan D
    Thanks I like the Moon. Have never seen one before. That may be the ticket for her.