Watches for dummies. Questions on this.... | FerrariChat

Watches for dummies. Questions on this....

Discussion in 'Fine Watches, Jewelry, & Clothes' started by Island Time, Nov 17, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Island Time

Island Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 18, 2004
    E. TN
    Full Name:
    David
    I know nothing about watches. But if I were gonna buy one...I'd like one like this. Simple and traditional. What's the deal with this watch?

Is 1960's too old to buy for everyday use?
    Will this watch work? (all things being equal...meaning....if it's a good one...in spite of it's age)
    Will this watch need to be worked on much? (I'm not into sending jewelry off for repair)

What's it worth?

Is this a watch a man could buy, wear.....and it not break? Just curious.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-ROLEX-1570-AUTOMATIC-14K-YELLOW-SHELL-GOLD-MEN-S-WATCH-BOX/173544386157?epid=11007609727&hash=item28680d2e6d:g:Be8AAOSwzyBboofc

Thanks
    David

motts likes this.
  2. motts

motts Karting

Sep 1, 2015
    Denver
    Full Name:
    Alex
    Get one with a date.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. Island Time

Island Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 18, 2004
    E. TN
    Full Name:
    David
    #3 Island Time, Nov 17, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2018
    why? (that's one of the things I like about it....it's simple)

MK1044 and motts like this.
  4. motts

motts Karting

Sep 1, 2015
    Denver
    Full Name:
    Alex
    If you like it then get it. It’s watch that will last another 50 years. I personally like a watch with a date, although I hate the cyclops. So I polished it off.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

ScottS and Island Time like this.
  5. gh0st0

gh0st0 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 2, 2018
    Midwest
    Vintage watches tend to be more fragile and can be finicky. Any reason you’re using eBay to shop vintage watches? Will you have someone validate the watch?

Island Time likes this.
  6. cls

cls Formula 3

Jun 12, 2007
    Los Angeles/Montreal
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Yes and no. That's a 1570 movement, it has shock protection on the balance, it's tried and true, reliable, and parts are still available. It's a slower beat rate than most modern movements which can effect accuracy, but that's minor. From the looks of it, the movement is mostly unmolested, not a lot of scratches or damaged screws, the hairspring coils look concentric. It will wear small, but it's a classic solid piece.

7. motts

motts Karting

Sep 1, 2015
    Denver
    Full Name:
    Alex
    Looking closer and reading the description of the watch. I like it less and less first it’s not or nowhere near Art Deco period, second and I think most important is the case and how much of it has been polished off. Here is what a lug (where the strap is attached to) supposed to look like compare and see.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Island Time likes this.
  8. motts

motts Karting

Sep 1, 2015
    Denver
    Full Name:
    Alex
    Island Time likes this.
  9. flat_plane_eddie

flat_plane_eddie F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 30, 2013
    NE FL
    Full Name:
    Eddie
    Like Chris said, the 1570 caliber is pretty solid. The watch will wear small so keep that in mind cause it is a 34mm. The lugs are somewhat over polished on it so I would look for another. The price is also too high for that watch.

motts and Island Time like this.
  10. dstacy

dstacy F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2006
    GMT -5 & GMT +1
    Full Name:
    Dave
    I know I'm late to the party but here are a few notes.....

The 1570 movement is a tank! It was used in Date, DateJust, Submariner, GMT, etc. You can beat it and it still runs. With all due respect to the above poster who said vintage watches are finicky …..this ain't one of them.

A 1500 series watch is indeed a 34mm and does wear small. I wear one all the time and I'm a big guy. I think they look fine.

I don't think a 1960's watch is too old to wear. I wear one from the 60's 2 to 3 days a week.

If you get a Rolex serviced, $500 to $600, by a reputable shop (ABC or LA) you can count on a decade of trouble free wear.

And finally, yes the watch you listed is priced too high. But vintage Rolex prices have shot through the roof in the past 24 months so who knows? I'd keep looking.