Watches, Robberies and Fakes | FerrariChat

Watches, Robberies and Fakes

Discussion in 'Fine Watches, Jewelry, & Clothes' started by poljav, Aug 4, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. poljav

poljav F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 2, 2014
    SF Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Pol J.
    I had a discussion with a bunch of watch guys and the subject of rash robberies came-up. There seems to be a new(?) trend (at least here in the East Bay) when people are followed to their car, home or most recently into a restaurant/bar to be robbed/beaten. The common theme, someone is spotted wearing an expensive watch, usually a Rolex, is followed then robbed/beaten at knife/gunpoint. After some back and forth, more than one guy voiced how they've thought about buying fakes, thought was, I can still sport a "Rolex, AP, RM, etc" without worrying about it if I do get robbed. Some guys did mention they already do this when they travel, especially abroad. I was actually taken aback, since I know some of these guys collections are 7 figures. To be clear, we're not talking about wearing fakes because you're going to sketchy places, guys are talking about wearing them at upscale mostly deemed "safe" neighborhoods/establishments.

What are you guys thoughts on this? Does anyone here already do this?

I will say, I did get a sense if asked, some would just admit the watch is fake and wouldn't try to pass it off as real, but some, don't ask don't tell. Also, I make no judgements one way or another about people wearing or wanting to wear fakes.

2. JSBMD

JSBMD Formula Junior

Mar 17, 2007
    The OC
    Full Name:
    John
    I'm in OC, have heard about these robberies also. Though these stories seem to be LA related, I can't help but think this is a problem I don't want or need.

So I have been wearing a modded Seiko for the past few months, looks like a Rolex Yachtmaster, though it clearly says Seiko. I have a real Yachtmaster, but haven't been wearing it lately for this exact reason. Neither have I worn any of my other good stuff, which begs the question of "why have it?"

Maybe I'm being paranoid, who knows?

JDZNate likes this.
  3. Dbacr

Dbacr Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 1, 2015
    Ft lauderdale, FL
    Full Name:
    Dan
    I shelved the Rolex’s for other watches. Still nice but not usually a target. IWC, Grand Seiko, Tudor…..
    Wearing a fake may still get you pistol whipped. I do still wear the really nice stuff to work. I guess I feel safer during the day.

JDZNate likes this.
  4. Brian A

Brian A F1 Rookie

Dec 21, 2012
    SanFrancisco BayArea
    Full Name:
    1983 US 308 GTS QV
    I wear watches proportional to the risk. Then again, I don’t like being conspicuous at the best of times. I wouldn’t wear a fake for “safety” purposes. Loss of property can be the smallest consequence of robbery and a fake watch doesn’t repel thieves.

I used to travel around the world to many sketchy places. For Rio de Janeiro, a notorious place for petty theft, I bought a smart looking $35 Timex Expedition, which, frankly, I have grown quite fond of.

Boomhauer and poljav like this.
  5. bart12

bart12 Formula 3

Nov 6, 2008
    The River runs through it
    Full Name:
    MD Leo
    Visiting family in LA the past 2 weeks, me and my wifey left our watches. Usually I bring one or two in a roll besides what I wear when I travel. I am not used too not wearing any watch but I dont want to be a statistic.
    Nobody will care if you are getting mugged in the street.
    You get some withdrawal not wearing one for a long time.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

6. Jdubbya

Jdubbya The $10 Trillion Man
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2003
    PNW
    Full Name:
    John
    So they're still willing to take a beating or possibly get killed but will feel better if they don't lose money over it all? If they're gonna mug you for what they think is an expensive watch, it being a fake ain't gonna stop 'em. I'd say if they're that worried about it either wear a cheap watch or hire a bodyguard maybe? It's not right but I guess a sign of the times?

I have to say it's sad that it would come to this and any further comment on this would be going into P&R territory.

spike308, Ultralab and poljav like this.
  7. poljav

poljav F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 2, 2014
    SF Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Pol J.
    I guess I could have expanded on my OP. Although not explicitly said, I interpreted the line of thought as - I'm going to a fairly nice safe event/place, I still want to sport a nice watch but just in case I do get robbed, I'll just hand over the watch, no muss no fuss its fake anyway. Obviously a lot things can go sideways while being robbed, but the discussion focused solely of being robbed of just the watch.

I agree any further comment to "it has come to this" would be P&R territory, which may be hard to avoid given the topic.

Jdubbya likes this.
  8. Jdubbya

Jdubbya The $10 Trillion Man
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2003
    PNW
    Full Name:
    John
    Yeah, I just never got fakes. I get they aren't talking about buying a fake because they don't want to or can't afford the real deal though. I just don't trust that someone willing to simply mug me for a nice watch won't also resort to violence.

9. JAM1

JAM1 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 22, 2004
    FL, NY, and MA
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Imagine getting robbed (potentially injured or killed) for a fake. No thanks. If it’s an area you aren’t comfortable wearing a real one don’t invite trouble. And, as long as you’re properly insured just give the watch up anyhow. Who cares. Not worth dying over.

10. Bamsefar

Bamsefar Formula Junior

Nov 26, 2012
    I sold my Rolex, got a Garmin training watch instead. It is not the same, but here in Stockholm Sweden we had the exact same robberies happening for the last 3 years or so... I loved my Rolex, but not at the price of getting robbed...

11. E60 M5

E60 M5 Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Jan 2, 2006
    Wash DC area
    Full Name:
    Robert
    Man, living in liberal big cities really must suck!
    Around my woods most, including myself, have concealed carry.
    Nor do many care if you wear a Rolex or not.

12. ronfrohock

ronfrohock F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 16, 2004
    MA
    Full Name:
    Ron Frohock
    Concealed carry only helps if your life is in danger.

My son was held up, they took his Sub.
    He was carrying at the time but couldn’t use it….

A shot out to LE’s. They found the guy and he went to prison for a number of years. (He had warrants).

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat.com mobile app

Boomhauer and JDZNate like this.
  13. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    So the fake still draws the attention of a would be robber and makes you a target of a potentially violent encounter...yet you know you are wearing a piece of junk fake and feel crappy about that. o_O I see zero upside for your risk, and all downside.
    If going to a dicey area or travel abroad I wouldn’t wear a watch at all. In a nice area I would just take my chances.
    I usually wear a Patek on a strap so that is pretty much invisible.
    I carry a gun always...a guy comes at me aggressively with a knife or club in his hand he’s getting shot. If he has a gun drawn then I guess I lose the watch.

GuyIncognito, ASK328, Robb and 2 others like this.
  14. WPOZZZ

WPOZZZ F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2012
    Honolulu, HI
    I'm the same. I'm semi-retired and have nowhere to go so I don't wear my nice watches. I wear a MoonSwatch these days, or Omegas. I watcha lot of YouTube these days and was shocked there were MoonSwatch fakes! I guess if there is something people covet, here will be a fake made.

15. bart12

bart12 Formula 3

Nov 6, 2008
    The River runs through it
    Full Name:
    MD Leo
    Before I had replicas to alternate with my real ones. But right now, you can get mugged or worse, get killed for replicas, so just dont wear one when you go to LA.

Where I live, i just wear my rolexes if I go to a place direct like into a restaurant, office etc. Of course, it helps to bring my Glock and being aware who is behind me.

poljav, italiafan, Robb and 1 other person like this.
  16. WPOZZZ

WPOZZZ F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2012
    Honolulu, HI
    Agreed, situational awareness is most important, along with common sense.

17. jimpo1

jimpo1 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 30, 2001
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Jim E
    You got a MoonSwatch???

18. JOEA2

JOEA2 Formula 3

Feb 2, 2006
    Staten Island, N.Y./ Sea Girt,N.J.
    Full Name:
    Joe A
    When we went to Africa, I bought a Breitling and left the good watches home.

Joe

19. WilyB

WilyB F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 23, 2007
    AZ
    Recently in Paris a guy was mugged for his look-alike Rolex. He was still trying to catch his breath (they half strangled him from behind) when the criminals realized it was a fake and came back to give him the beating of his life.

I travel with a Casio G-shock now and the AP stays home.

Boomhauer and Dbacr like this.
  20. WPOZZZ

WPOZZZ F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2012
    Honolulu, HI
    Yes. On a whim, I walked into the Swatch store and they had a few models in stock. I got Mercury, and brought the gf an hour later and she got the Saturn.

21. jimpo1

Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 30, 2001
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Jim E
    My sons fiance' has been trying to buy him one for months. Calling stores regularly, etc. No luck. I'd wear one!

22. JDZNate

JDZNate Formula Junior

May 14, 2007
    Portland, OR
    Full Name:
    Nate
    Cop here. Nice to see some of you guys being vigilant. I've been following this trend for the last 6 months. With Rolex's doubling, even tripling in price, they are an easy target for thieves. As for wearing a fake or counterfeit Rolex, I'm not sure a thief would be able to distinguish the difference without examining it up close. I've seen videos of grey market watch dealers needing to examine higher quality counterfeits using a watchmaker loupe to tell if it's fake or not.

Jdubbya, poljav and VAF84 like this.
  23. Cigarzman

Cigarzman F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nate , thank you for your service.

Jdubbya, poljav, JDZNate and 2 others like this.
  24. sugufish

sugufish Rookie

Mar 13, 2015
    Australia
    Full Name:
    K
    I’m planning to shelf my Rolexes and get an Apple Watch

25. jimpo1

Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 30, 2001
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Jim E
    I just can't. I have too much invested in my watches and I like them! the Apple Watch just feels like another step into a device quagmire.

Funny story, my sons and I all wear mechanical watches. At a recent family event, my brother wanted to show off his new watch, but couldn't part with his beloved Apple watch for even an evening. He showed up at dinner wearing the new watch on the other wrist with the Apple watch firmly in place. :D

VAF84 likes this.