Water/oil pump replacement | FerrariChat

Water/oil pump replacement

Discussion in '360/430' started by azzurribaggio, Aug 25, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. azzurribaggio

azzurribaggio Formula Junior

When it comes time to replace this, due to leaking, how many have opted to just get the pump repaired ( o-ring gaskets replaced, which I heard is all that is needed ) vs getting a new one?
    Will most Indy mechanics repair these if requested will most just say get a new one.

There is a significant price difference between repair and getting a new one.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using FerrariChat.com mobile app

2. 24000rpm

24000rpm F1 Rookie

are you talking bout the f430 whose pump sits outside the engine?

3. APA#1

APA#1 Formula 3

Nov 5, 2003
    Central Florida
    Here you go, this should help. Dan just did a great video on this exact subject.

4. azzurribaggio

Yes this thread is based on seeing Dan's video....I asked Josh if most Indy mechanics would repair this pump or just say I need a new one and charge me $4000?

5. kiryu

kiryu Formula Junior

Mar 28, 2016
    Los Angeles
    from the mechanic's perspective, I assume it's easier for them to replace the pump. Waiting for the pump to be rebuilt with the car on the lift takes up shop space, unless the mechanic himself knows how to rebuild one like Josh. To save money you probably need to remove the pump yourself and ship it to Josh for the rebuild. Or buy a pump that's already rebuilt and simply do the swap, then i am sure all mechanics are ok doing that

6. Flyingbrick242

Flyingbrick242 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 26, 2017
    Northern AZ.
    I am 100% certain if I encounter any leakage from the water/oil pump assy I will be addressing it with the opportunity of resealing.
    Any Indy who does not give the client at least that opportunity [providing the unit meets reseal criteria] is not being conscience's of the wallet.
    Dan/Josh thanks for sharing this bit of information..!

7. azzurribaggio

I totally agree and can also see this from the shop's perspective. But I wouldn't be comfortable removing that pump myself then installing it back in.

8. azzurribaggio

I've yet to take my car to a local shop, I just bought it back in June, but I have one earmarked that my buddy who has a F430 as well takes his to. I'm guessing my first service will be the yearly one I'll do next year then I'll have to address the leak. OR if it still seems I can go another year wait.
    During the PPI the leak was brought up but at the time the mechanic said look into it on the next oil change.

9. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    From a mechanic's perspective:

1. Rebuilding a customer's water pump saves "some money" but not much. It does cost $100-$200 in parts, and an hour in time ($150-$200) for a total of $400.
    2. A rebuilt pump takes some level of secret sauce so that it does not leak. If it leaks (because he did it, or a rebuilder did it), the job is done all over again under warranty and that would be a money losing proposition for the mechanic.
    3. Ferrari water pump replacement for 348/355/360/430 is very involved and it's not worth the risk of having to do the job again due to a poorly rebuilt pump.

So for most professional mechanic whose reputation is on the line, they prefer to just flat out replace the water pump and have a factory warranty that the new pump works as new. Yes, it is sometimes more expensive but you drive Ferraris and nobody ever promised that driving a Ferrari was going to be cheap.

If you work on your own car and your labor is free to you, then by all means you should rebuild your own water pump.

10. ridege55

ridege55 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 9, 2017
    Manhattan Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    John
    I had my water/oil pump replaced about 2 years ago. I was given the option of new or rebuild. I optioned for new based on timing and some peace of mind. I didn't know if the rebuild was going to be sent out of house and how long it would take. The bill for just a new oil/water pump was $3,400. Add in the labor and there is your $4k. I subsequently had an Fchatter reach out to me saying that he sold a rebuild kit for $360. Since I don't trust my own mechanical ability, I would have still needed someone to do the rebuild. Anyways, I have my old pump in the garage as a souvenir.

11. sakodik

sakodik Karting

Jun 2, 2016
    Santa Clara
    Full Name:
    Dan
    Example: I had a bad f1 accumulator that I replaced with a used one (a few hundred miles on it, unknown life). It went bad after 2 months. Now I have to buy a new one with the same labor cost. Could've been avoided had I just bought a new one to begin with. Oh well, I made that choice because the parts wasn't that expensive new/used compared to the water/oil pump. Just waste of time.

12. azzurribaggio

Well said, painful to agree with but well said.

13. Jgivoo

Jgivoo Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 22, 2016
    New Jersey
    Just a quick comment from Dan's video.
    They call out Buna N orings for the oil pump when the OEM supplier OMP specifies V-75 brown Viton on their prints.

14. azzurribaggio

Here are pics of the leak from the PPI Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

15. Jgivoo

Jgivoo Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 22, 2016
    New Jersey
    Looks like both mechanical seals are slightly weeping coolant. (Green color). Are you seeing any wet spots or drips on the rear under tray directly under the water/oil pump? If me, I would clean up the areas and monitor.

16. azzurribaggio

The mechanic that did the PPI mentioned there were a few drops on the under tray.

17. jcurry

jcurry Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 16, 2012
    In the past
    Full Name:
    Jim
    My 360 as looked like the pics since I bought it (almost 5 yrs now). Everytime the dealer shop has seen it they comment on it, but have never said 'this has to be replaced right now'. They have said monitoring is ok.

18. RedTaxi

RedTaxi F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 1, 2012
    New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Glen
    "Some money but not much". $400 to $4k is quite "some money".
    The video is all about the oil pump leaking. Most have an issue with the waterpump leaking which can be an inexpensive rebuild.