Waterless coolent in Countach | FerrariChat

Waterless coolent in Countach

Discussion in 'LamborghiniChat.com' started by Spyder-Man, Jan 25, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Spyder-Man

Spyder-Man Formula 3

May 11, 2004
    UK
    Full Name:
    Rob
    Hi all, does anyone have experience of using waterless coolent in their car? On paper, it seems a smart choice if somewhat expensive choice.

The sales pitch is

No Water - No Overheating

Power Cool 180° has a boiling point of 180°C and will not boilover specifically designed for Modern engines

No Water - No Corrosion

Water contains oxygen, oxygen allows corrosion. Power Cool 180° eliminates corrosion.

No Water - No Pressure

Power Cool 180° allows your cooling system to run at a lower pressure, reducing the strain on engine components.

No Water - No Liner Pitting

Power Cool 180° generates significantly less pitting when compared with all water based coolants.

No Water - More BHP

Power Cool 180° eliminates premature detonation associated with overheating.

Rob

2. raymondQV

raymondQV F1 Rookie

Aug 22, 2007
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Raymond S.
    We are using since years with good success the coolant fluid VW/Audi is using in their Diesel engines, boiling Point is at 130° C.

It's also water free but in worst cases can be mixed with water.

3. Spyder-Man

Spyder-Man Formula 3

May 11, 2004
    UK
    Full Name:
    Rob
    Hi Raymond, sounds like it could be a good solution. Pity the cooling system holds 17 litres :)

4. raymondQV

raymondQV F1 Rookie

Aug 22, 2007
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Raymond S.
    The VW/Audi liquid you can also buy from retailers, it's not expensive at all.

5. Spyder-Man

Spyder-Man Formula 3

May 11, 2004
    UK
    Full Name:
    Rob
    Morning Raymond, scaning the web, looks like Audi G13 is the product. But for this, you have to mix it 50 / 50 with water.

???

Rob

6. raymondQV

raymondQV F1 Rookie

Aug 22, 2007
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Raymond S.
    I have a rest in a canister at home, let me check this evening.

7. Spyder-Man

Spyder-Man Formula 3

May 11, 2004
    UK
    Full Name:
    Rob
    Any joy Raymond?

Cheers
    Rob

8. raymondQV

raymondQV F1 Rookie

Aug 22, 2007
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Raymond S.
    VW-TL52176 (G13) to be mixed up with water.

9. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Manufacturers of very expensive industrial engines still recommend water antifreeze as the best. The key is to use the right water and the right antifreeze for a motor with wet liners. Not all water and all antifreeze is the same, there are many formulas of antifreeze. Those manufacturers also agree that mileage does not really matter but time does. They strongly suggest either changing annually or replace the additive package.

As far as water, they are unanimous, either distilled or reverse osmosis. As far as antifreeze the only over the counter brand I was able to find in the US that really has the correct additive package for wet liner engines is Zerex GO5. Liner pitting is often caused by cavitation which is quite common in wet liner engines and is caused by water impurities, insufficient quantities of the correct additives and insufficient coolant pressure. Keep those in line, change annually with the correct stuff and your cooling system will stay in good condition till long after you and I are dead of old age.

10. hashiriya

hashiriya Formula Junior

Feb 26, 2010
    I've never saw any kind of aluminum corrosion or oxidizing in Toyota V8s, if it was the question, I'd look at Toyota's long life stuff. I don't know about wet liners, but it should be neutral to that as well. Toyota makes great engines, but no more fun or attractive cars. :p

11. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Great engines but very different engines with very different needs. The long life antifreezes do not have the additives needed.

12. JohnMH

JohnMH Formula 3

Jan 28, 2004
    Dubai / Bologna
    I run it in my TR, LP400S and will run it in my BB512 when the engine goes back together. Years of experience without any issues.

I pulled the liners out of my resto project LP5000S after years of running water. Not pretty. I only run the Evans NPG now.

I also live in Dubai and run it in a few track motorcycles (R1, YZ450F) without any heat issues when it is really hot outside.

The Evans stuff will not boil and does not act under pressure, so it also reduces stress on water pump seals. It also does not need to be changed every 2 years.

It can be a pain to install though as you need to drain everything (block plugs), refill with the prep fluid and then run it before draining it again. Messy.

13. hashiriya

hashiriya Formula Junior

Feb 26, 2010
    #14 hashiriya, Feb 1, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 1, 2016
    Once, I was deep into Evans NPG stuff, trying to figure out how it works and what's the exact formula. And I've figured, there's nothing fancy about it. The key is the additive package that's neutral to parts for over 3-5 years.

What I mean is that I wouldn't keep VW's G13+ for the same period as Evans coolant. The additives are different, G13 has got biodegradable additives.

14. mikael82

mikael82 Formula Junior

Nov 18, 2007
    Finland
    Full Name:
    Mikael
    Remember all that modern coolants are only for iron/aluminium parts, but old cars like Countach has brass radiator and organic coolants eat lead from solder.

15. Chadbourn Bolles

Chadbourn Bolles Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 5, 2005
    Leesville, SC USA
    Full Name:
    Chadbourn Bolles

16. hashiriya

hashiriya Formula Junior

Feb 26, 2010
    What do you mean by an organic coolant? Most of the automotive coolants are simply Ethylene Glycol + additives. Only the additives differ and the way ethylene glycol is produced.
    Industrial coolants are based on Propylene Glycols.

17. mikael82

mikael82 Formula Junior

Nov 18, 2007
    Finland
    Full Name:
    Mikael
    Originally brass radiators and brass heater element in countach. Diablo is all aluminium.

Inorganic Acid Technology (IAT)

Organic Acid Technology (OAT)

Hybrid Organic Acid Technology (HOAT)

18. Any updates or preferences on coolant?

19. JohnMH

JohnMH Formula 3

Jan 28, 2004
    Dubai / Bologna
    I still run Evans NPG in my TR, BB512 and LP400S as well as a few motorcycles. Have been using it since 2004 with no issues (even in Dubai heat). I originally started using the stuff in a Ducati with magnesium outer cases - water would erode the case around the water pump impeller. A byproduct seems to be less stress on water pump seals as the system does not operate under very much pressure.

20. randomlambo

randomlambo Formula Junior

Feb 3, 2013
    RI & MA border
    Full Name:
    DT
    Guys what about the Zerex G05 or Rotella Ultra Extended Life in the classic cars (Countach in this case)?