Waves from Corvette owners? | FerrariChat

Waves from Corvette owners?

Discussion in 'FF/Lusso' started by JasonN, Jul 6, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. JasonN

JasonN Formula Junior

Sep 24, 2017
    Full Name:
    Jason
    I drive a black 812 and am constantly getting waves from Corvette owners. I have a couple of Corvettes also and understand the wave and it’s tradition. However, I get a little miffed that they think my 812 is a Vette! Do others experience this as well? I joke that I have the best looking Corvette in town!

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

Wikdstrate likes this.
  2. gliazzurri

gliazzurri Formula Junior

Jun 11, 2016
    Maryland
    I’ve gotten waves from pickup drivers in my Lamborghini.
    It’s all good and take the praise.

LARRYH, Boomhauer, Jordan68 and 3 others like this.
  3. klinkman

klinkman Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 29, 2018
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Hell NO!
    Sure hope you don't wave back or flash the lights. ;)
    Your front end (as mine) is completely and uniquely distinct.
    (hood profile is a different story)

I'd chalk it up to: they want to be your friend!

4. gliazzurri

Jun 11, 2016
    Maryland
    Oh and I forgot.

5. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    True car enthusiasts don't typically limit themselves to one marque. I wave to anyone I think is driving something cool - old American iron, German, Italian, low riders, donks, etc ; if it's cool a little wave and a nod of respect is in order...T

johnr265, LARRYH, Boomhauer and 10 others like this.
  6. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    I get waves from vettes all the time..in my F12, 812, Speciale, 458 Spider, and 16M. I always wave back. Often, I am the first to wave. They are car enthusiasts, who cares if their budget is different?
    BTW...I never wave to 911 drivers. Generally I find them to be self-absorbed pricks on the road (except GT cars).

ait_z28, Wikdstrate, LARRYH and 4 others like this.
  7. Napoli

Napoli Formula Junior

Nov 18, 2017
    Full Name:
    NOYB, Ray!
    I get those Vette waves, too, when I’m in my 488.

8. JasonN

JasonN Formula Junior

Sep 24, 2017
    Full Name:
    Jason
    It's only in my 812 that I get waves from Corvettes. In the 458 I don't that I remember. Don't get me wrong, I get waves, beeps and thumps up from many car enthusiasts. But it seems that 4 out of 5 Corvette owners wave just at the 812. I know this sounds pretentious and I don't mean to come off like that. Like I said, I have Corvettes too and I wave because of the tradition when I'm driving one. When driving the 65 Coupe, I think about all the young men in the 1960's that died in Vietnam that had dreams of returning home and buying their dream car. I'm grateful for my freedom and that car reminds me of it.

So I'll just continue to go with it and wave back like I do and not think my 812 looks like a Corvette. Oh, and I'll ignore Porsche owners. To be honest, I don't think any Porsche owners ever wave at me. I have have friends that have them and constantly try to talk me into getting one. Never owned one, only drove 2 and won't be buying one anytime soon. Just not my thing.

9. gliazzurri

Jun 11, 2016
    Maryland
    I was going to even propose what you just mentioned in your last message. Perhaps some of them also own a Ferrari--just like you. I wouldn't have thought you had one until you posted that but that's an incorrect bias.

10. JasonN

JasonN Formula Junior

Sep 24, 2017
    Full Name:
    Jason
    I don’t know what you mean.

11. gliazzurri

Jun 11, 2016
    Maryland
    What I mean is that you said you have Corvettes too, thus a Ferrari owner with an appreciation for other makes and ownership even of a Corvette. Just as you have a broad interest, so likely do they. And that until you mentioned that you owned one I would not have imagined most Ferrari owners necessarily have a Corvette as well.

12. JasonN

JasonN Formula Junior

Sep 24, 2017
    Full Name:
    Jason
    Oh I see. I have a broad interest in cars. I’ve had corvettes since I was 29 and am now 50. I’ve always loved Ferrari’s as well and am fortunate to own 2. Also an AMG C63s Cabriolet which I love and drive the most. I don’t look down my nose at less expensive cars. My comment about Porsche’s was in jest. Never had a Lambo but I do like the new EVO Spider. I do think that the 812 looks like a C7 corvette at a quick glance but I have never passed an 812 to know. Only a couple in the Pittsburgh area that I know of.

13. jdlegg

jdlegg Karting

Dec 22, 2009
    Bryan
    Full Name:
    James D
    My former 360 used to get Vette waves all the time. Even get it now in my 488. Figure they're just fellow gear heads.

LARRYH and JasonN like this.
  14. mkraft3003

mkraft3003 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 20, 2016
    Tampa, Fl
    When I had my 812 I had the same thing. I also had lots of “is that the new vette” (this was last year before the new vette was out). From certain angles it looks very similar, however as soon as you start it up and drive away there is NO confusing them.

15. HBstig

HBstig Karting

Nov 3, 2019
    Full Name:
    HBstig
    Don't be a ****** and wave back. ;):p
    All car people should respect their respective toys.

Il Tifoso and Boomhauer like this.
  16. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Tom my man, as a US citizen you should have learned by now, that Corvette owners can be anything but open minded. On one hand you're right about car enthusiasts, but "Vette" guys are weird:D They are often "Vette" enthusiasts, not car enthusiasts;D

Haven't they told ya? A Corvette, sorry, a "Vette" is as good or better than a Ferrari, just cheaper, and faster, and prettier, and handles as well, and sounds better, and it's Made in 'MURICA by good o'le patriotic hard workin' men and women. Can't you just hear the Springsteen soundtrack in the background as you read this? Lol:D

Sorry couldn't resist. Had a bit of a fun interaction with the quintesential stereotype Corvette owner and it was pretty funny - especially because the guy was Swedish:D

Sent from my SM-G930F using FerrariChat.com mobile app

tomc likes this.
  17. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    What exactly is a "Vette wave"?

I think they wave because that's just something owners of exotic supercars do towards one another right?;)

18. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    So if you met me and I was in the 488 you'd wave, but if you then saw me in the GT3RS later in the day, you wouldn't? I'm the same guy, just different cars.
    Would you wave at me if I was in the GT4?:D

gliazzurri likes this.
  19. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    You missed the bit at the end where I said “except GT cars.” :)

I was mostly joking of course, but I have found that of the friendly car enthusiasts out on US roads (vettes, Camaro, mustangs, British sports cars, other Italian marques, JDM and othe Japanese) that the “average” 911 driver is the most disinterested (unless vintage).
    I suspect many are dentists too stressed thinking about their hygenists extorting them. :D

Il Co-Pilota likes this.
  20. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    I know:) Just poki g a bit of fun:)

But when I read GT I though actual GT, so basically Panamera etc.:D

21. JasonN

JasonN Formula Junior

Sep 24, 2017
    Full Name:
    Jason
    Il Co-Pilota likes this.
  22. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
  23. Wikdstrate

Wikdstrate Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2013
    New York
    Full Name:
    Alec
    I waved to Ferrari's when I drove the Vette and vice versa.

It is definitely possible to own and enjoy both at the same time.

Attached Files:

Boomhauer likes this.
  24. otakki

otakki Formula 3

Mar 24, 2016
    I remember well-known enthusiast Rowan Atkinson, aka Mr. Beans, mentioned he would never own a Porsche due to not finding much commonalities with owners of Porsche. I wonder what exactly is it with owners of non-GT Porsche.

italiafan and Il Co-Pilota like this.
  25. SeattleStew

SeattleStew Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 10, 2020
    In the rain
    Full Name:
    Stew
    I spec'd my 812 hoping people would confuse it with a corvette :D. So hopefully I get lots of corvette waves lol.

I also will wave at anything I think is cool, even when I'm in my hoopties. Just fellow enthusiasts out there on the road

LARRYH and italiafan like this.