WEEKEND AT PAP'S | Page 472 | FerrariChat

WEEKEND AT PAP'S

Discussion in 'Australia' started by PAP 348, Apr 21, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. IanB

IanB F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 15, 2006
    Sydney
    You would, instantly, the tone and musicality are very apparent. Cheap guitars are good to practice on and especially to travel with, but if you love the music, you appreciate the quality of a fine instrument.

knocker likes this.
  2. PAP 348

PAP 348 Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap
    Thanks for sharing man, that's cool. Which movie does he play this in?? I remember the 'Johnny B Goode' guitar playing scene, but I don't remember this guitar at all.

$50 is a nice buy for any Ibanez guitar, this one being extra special if you're a Back To The Future fan.

I have a friend that is a huge Steve Vai fan. He collects *and plays* the Steve Vai Ibanez Jem guitars and owns six of them in all different colours and specs.

They are quite colourful guitars and some of them are very rare and expensive. I think his most special one sells for around $6000, he might have two of them in different colours from memory.

knocker likes this.
  3. PAP 348

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap
    +1

Totally agree with everything you have said IanB.

You would also feel the sustain resonate a lot more through the guitar, the feel and quality of the guitar will also be very superior to a cheap guitar.

I believe that if you want to start playing guitar, spend at least $1500 to $2000 minimum on the guitar that you like, and then go from there. Wanna spend $5000 straight up?? No worries, that's even better.

If you start to learn to play the guitar and give up, no worries. Just put it back in the case and slip it under your bed or put it away in your cupboard.

If you decide you want to take up playing guitar again 5 years down the road or whatever, at least you will have a quality instrument already sitting at home ready to go.

These guitars are not getting cheaper over time, so buy something decent now and you can keep it forever knowing that it will survive, will sound great and you will always be able to re-sell a quality name brand guitar quickly and recover the majority of your money also, compared to buying cheap **** which may never stay in tune, sound like **** and you will end up giving it away to your mates son who wants to learn to play guitar.

knocker and Its328 like this.
  4. knocker

knocker F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 10, 2017
    Sydney Aus
    Full Name:
    Adrian
  5. PAP 348

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap
    You would have to play them both to really appreciate the difference man.

Classic example right here-

Guitar on the left is a 2001 ESP KH2 guitar. I purchased it brand new in 2001 for AU $4650. It's a great guitar, still love it after all these years. :)

Guitar on the right is a 2003 ESP KH2 Custom Shop guitar. Hand made in Japan by one luthier at the ESP factory to a standard that is absolutely second to none!! This guitar retailed for AU $7500 in 2003. :)

Can you spot the difference between the two?? Nope, very hard to tell isn't it? The Custom Shop guitar tone, finish and feel is absolutely amazing and blows the standard KH2 guitar away. :)

But you would never know this without playing them both. The sustain on the Custom Shop guitar goes for daaaaaaaaaaaaays! It really is a killer guitar. I am fortunate to own a few ESP KH2 Custom Shop guitars, they are simply the best rock/heavy metal guitars money can buy. :D

Image Unavailable, Please Login

6. MonsterCro

MonsterCro Formula Junior

Mar 4, 2014
    Sydney Australia
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Hi Pap

Its in the beginning of the first movie were his band is auditioning for the school dance band and they play the song the power of love. Its when he's told they are to damn loud from hughie lewis himself. You will see he is playing the exact ibanez. I also have the signed pic guard by MJF but I have taken it off and replaced with a new one
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

knocker likes this.
  7. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    Pappy - Do you know any songs, or are you still working on intro to Smoke On The Water?

I used to live a reasonable distance from what I called L.A.'s Guitar District just before Sunset Strip. Guitar Center had a Vintage Room with a vast array & tested many old and new here and there, not settling. One fine day, a guitar really stood out for me above all with its tone. An ancient, extremely light Kalamazoo I'd seen over the years hanging near the Byrdlands. I gave it a whirl with fingerstyle & slide, noticed an employee checking on an old Fender Tweed looking up & did what I preferred, which was sleep on it. Went back next day & price had trebled overnight. No Sale. Thanks, *******.

On it went until I found a resonator guitar that had that which I wanted at Freedom Guitars on corner opposite GC. Though there were 3 of same new manufacture, only that one had "it." Too bad I can't play worth a damn, eh?

Later found a Washburn J6 which was one of many thin & thick hollowbodies I auditioned & enjoyed, and eventually sold to a friend at same sale price when moving out of L.A., which could deliver promises aside from what his beloved Les Paul Goldtop did. Besides, it turned out the wide hollowbody was.not.helping my right shoulder at.all.

/TLDR

"I am weak-ish on snatch" ~ joker57676

knocker likes this.
  8. Steve355F1

Steve355F1 F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 26, 2011
    Adelaide, South Aust
    Full Name:
    Steve
    This is very interesting and cool stuff.
    I’ve been - what could be laughably referred to as - “playing” the guitar for 30 years.
    I can play a couple of songs quite well, and I have a few mates who are genuinely good.

All I can add to this is say that I totally agree that the difference between a cheap, ****e guitar and a decent one is huge.
    Even at my level of playing.
    However, I don’t think you need to spend thousands to get a nice sound.
    Unless you are at a really good standard of playing, that is.

knocker likes this.
  9. knocker

knocker F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 10, 2017
    Sydney Aus
    Full Name:
    Adrian
    I’ve just started taking an interest in guitars.. this morning very cool subject I never really thought about them as a hobby before but it’s very interesting indeed the more I read the more I like good stuff thanks fellas

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

10. PAP 348

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap
    Great, thanks mate. It's been many many years since I have watched any of those movies and I didn't remember that scene. Thanks again. :)

11. PAP 348

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap
    Hi mate,

Still working on learning to play the into to Smoke On The Water. ;)

Thanks for sharing your story mate, what a **** they tripled the price over night on that guitar!

Good times but eh? Life is good Wax, rock on brother! :D

12. PAP 348

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap
    I have been playing for 18 years this year and I can't play for ****. :p

Steve355F1 likes this.
  13. PAP 348

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap
    Guitars are a lot of fun. I wish I had enough room and money to buy another 30 of them that I want. lol. Ain't gunna happen in this lifetime though. Too much money for this broken down old mechanic. ;)

14. knocker

knocker F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 10, 2017
    Sydney Aus
    Full Name:
    Adrian
    There a cool thing indeed,my brother has been a mechanic for 40 years and my son is an apprentice mechanic I’m very proud,he wanted to get into tv but I took him on a couple of rough long night shoots in the rain that did it,so he went and got a real job

15. PAP 348

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap
    That's great to hear about your boy. I love fixing cars, still do it on my days off to make some extra pocket money. ;)

But the Monday to Friday gig fixing cars doesn't pay well unfortunately which is why I quit working on cars full time back in 2004.

Tell your son to finish his apprenticeship and get into hard rock mining. ;)

knocker likes this.
  16. ferrari 512 tr

ferrari 512 tr F1 Rookie

Nov 16, 2008
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Paolo
    What's been happening at Mr Papsters place!
    Honestly, if you haven't met this guy - introduce yourself to him cause he is the best guy ever!! Even if he is Greek haha

17. FazzerPorscheman

FazzerPorscheman F1 World Champ

Jul 28, 2010
    Piz Gloria
    Full Name:
    EnzoFerdinand
    Must be about due for a visit to The Creek PAP? :)

ferrari 512 tr likes this.
  18. knocker

knocker F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 10, 2017
    Sydney Aus
    Full Name:
    Adrian
    Haha yep probably easier,well once he’s done the mechanics apprenticeship he will go on to do engineering as he is very interested in the construction and design of vehicles so we will see as long as he’s having fun,so far so good (my other son Leo is an apprentice chef ,they must like hard work )

19. PAP 348

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap
    Hello my friend!! Mate, life is crazy here! Extremely busy! :D

But life is good, that's the main thing. I hope all has been well with you and your wonderful family.

Thanks for the kind words, you're quite a good man yourself! :)

20. PAP 348

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap
    It's been a while hasn't it!! I would love to mate, will definitely let you guys know when I come down next time. :)

21. PAP 348

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap
    Hard work?? Yeah, bugger that! :p

knocker likes this.
  22. ferrari 512 tr

ferrari 512 tr F1 Rookie

Nov 16, 2008
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Paolo
    When is the papster coming to Canberra.
    I will have a big party at my restaurant for you

23. PAP 348

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap
    No idea buddy, but that does sound great! :D

24. ferrari 512 tr

ferrari 512 tr F1 Rookie

Nov 16, 2008
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Paolo
  25. PAP 348

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap
    Yep, they fit man. The rears would have to be machined down to fit inside the rear guards but that's not a problem. :)