Buy

Weight Lifting techniques and tips

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by Skidkid, Nov 19, 2021.

1. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed Owner

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    OK, I am making great advances. At this point, the focus on form and mind-body connection is critical to my lifts. I can activate specific muscles with what could be easy exercises if I let them be and make them very hard. The back has done great. Legs are coming along. Bicep is now 18" so very good. Shoulders have gained a lot and they are ripped but what are you doing that helps build more volume?

I have been doing overhead press, standing with an Olympic bar, seated military press, and a variety of other things. OHP is on the brink of 135.

We are now including more frequent recovery periods. BUT during the recovery we doing volume so they aren't easy, even if the weight isn't near max. Maybe that isn't perfect so please feel free to comment.

What are you working on? What are your goals? Let's share ideas, routines, exercises, etc.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    All you can do is eat more protein, vary your lifts, recover and back it. Theres always HGH for more volume as well. :) Personally my shoulders have responded well to heavy dumbbell presses - much better than barbell. My shoulders are relatively weak (70lb dumbbells) is as high as I go but Ill max out with 5 to 6 reps every 2nd shoulder workout. When I say weak, this is in comparison to my other body parts.

Skidkid likes this.
  4. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed Owner

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    I do eat pretty well. I don't use HGH or anything else in that vein. I do db press, often single arm. I am tall and thin so I have never had the big boxy lock. I am long & thin so I get very ripped/defined; bulk is hard on my frame.

Gh21631 likes this.
  5. ipsedixit

ipsedixit Formula Junior

I think one thing to keep in mind, esp. with shoulders, is not to overwork them.

Basic laws of biology and physiology tells us that hypertrophy is required to build muscle. And in order for hypertrophy to work you need to allow for sufficient recovery and rest.

With the shoulder muscles, it is a complex that is involved in almost every other upper body movement one does, from pull ups, rows, push ups, bench presses, etc.

So then focusing on a targeted shoulder complex increases the risk of overtraining them, which minimizes the possibility of hypertrophy and growth in the shoulder.

One thing you might think about trying is not to have a specific "shoulder" workout (or shoulder workout day); instead to simply incorporate shoulder finishing exercises on your other body part days.

One finishing shoulder exercise I really like, as it's very different from most popular shoulder routines (presses, raises, etc.) is the shoulder "uppercut" exercise, which you can see from the video below. The video uses a barbell plate, but I prefer using a kettlebell.

TL;DR Don't overwork the shoulder, less is more, try the shoulder "uppercut" exercise below

Good luck, hope that helps.

Skidkid and Gh21631 like this.
  6. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed Owner

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    Great advice and thank you. I haven't done that exercise so will give it a try. And yes, I have strained a shoulder a bit doing bicep curls with a curl bar. You aren't exactly using the shoulder but it is in tension and when curling heavy ... well, you get the point. I will also change up, reduce/remove, shoulder specific days so they get a bit more recovery and report back on that.

7. To remove this ad click here.