Weight Lifting techniques and tips | Page 12 | FerrariChat

Weight Lifting techniques and tips

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by Skidkid, Nov 19, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. HotShoe

HotShoe F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2008
    Lake Worth, FL
    Full Name:
    Anthony Lauro
    If you guys really want to see your PR numbers go up you should take a hard look at Wendler's 5-3-1:

https://www.t-nation.com/workouts/5-3-1-how-to-build-pure-strength/

Everyone I recommended it to increased their lifts by a significant amount. At first it will feel light on volume but if you trust the process and are honest with your calculations it works.

Thecadster likes this.
  2. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    Yes, this process works. But many on here, including me, are not that young so safety takes top priority. We build a very wide/solid base and periodically push through the pyramid to drive a PR but that PR isn't really our max PR. It is a reasonable/safe PR with relatively low risk of injury. For example: I have sent a 135 skull crusher for 1. By contrast, I regularly send 115 x 5 and do weighted dips with 75 or 90 on the belt. It is obvious that I can do more for a single but until I build more the risk to elbows, etc. is just too great. It is also possible that my elbows will never be good enough to drive that number way up; I have dislocated both elbows at different times. Now, I injure myself and I lose all of the gains, potentially for a long time.

JJ likes this.
  3. JJ

JJ F1 World Champ

Jan 6, 2010
    PA
    Full Name:
    Random... If you haven't run into it, there's an amateur documentary called "I Want to Look Like That Guy" that follows an ordinary guy through the same process you're going through, culminating in a bodybuilding contest. I don't think it's on any of the platforms, but it's definitely worth an hour of your time if you can find it.

Skidkid and Scott98 like this.
  4. HotShoe

HotShoe F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2008
    Lake Worth, FL
    Full Name:
    Anthony Lauro
    At 52 I'm no spring chicken either. I agree with you that safety and good form should be a priority but just because we are getting older doesn't mean we can't keep reaching for the brass ring. When done properly training to increase strength and hit new PR's can be done at any age IMO. It's all about putting in the work to get there injury free whether you're 52 or 72. Another benefit of strength in the core lifts is to counter the decrease of bone density as we age.

That's the beauty of 5-3-1. It focus on creating a solid strength base and then improving it thru precise, mathematically driven gains.

Skidkid likes this.
  5. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    Agree 100%. I am always pushing for the brass ring. You can see many of my PRs on this thread. At 10 years older than you, I do it with more caution than I did when I was 20 (or even 50) but I lift hard at all times. As one of my first CEOs told me "Do it or don't do it, but don't apologize." To me that has always meant 'Commit to the goal or don't bother.' It has served me well over the years.

HotShoe likes this.
  6. HotShoe

HotShoe F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2008
    Lake Worth, FL
    Full Name:
    Anthony Lauro
    Went and deadlifted 405 x 2 last night. Feels good to lift heavy again :)

I'm trying to see if I can get to the 1,000lb club at my current weight and age. Should be doable if I put in some work on my back squat. That's my achilles heal.

Skidkid and Thecadster like this.
  7. rmlovett1

rmlovett1 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 27, 2011
    GA
    Full Name:
    RL
    I agree with you guys….in my mid 50’s, been lifting for 30+ yrs, always reaching for more and still love competition. I stopped for a few years, got completely out of shape in my late 20’s ….career, lifestyle, etc… Then made a decision to start a healthy lifestyle on my 31st bday and haven’t looked back. Was the “success story” in Men’s Fitness back in ‘04 , have completed many road races, cycling events, triathlons, etc…since then, and have stayed in the same shape for the last 20+ yrs. Body is aesthetically better now than when I was 20, but the aches, pains, and nagging little injuries come quicker now if not paying attention to form, breathing, etc….
    I work out every day, hopefully that won’t change…..can’t imagine living life any different.

Maximus1973, Scott98, Skidkid and 3 others like this.
  8. Maximus1973

Maximus1973 Formula 3

Oct 29, 2016
    Wight lifting is 100% a marathon; not a sprint.
    All these ‘ young’ kids going to the gym in their 20’s; loading up on steroids/sarms to achieve an Instagram worthy physique are train wrecks few years later.
    There is too much pressure on young men right now to look like Wolverine/Thor whilst doing it on “ chicken, rice and broccoli”.
    I have nothing against adults making their own choices; so I’m not ‘ anti drugs’. I am against young people slowly killing themselves.

Weight Lifting used to be about being healthy and staying healthy. It is the fountain of youth. Every year more and more correctly done studies prove time after time again that there is almost nothing healthier for humans to do weight lifting.
    In fact, squats have proven to be the number one exercise to keep our brain healthy. Beating all those fancy brain puzzles ‘ the elderly’ like to do to remain sharp.

Massive respect Richris1 for sticking with this lifestyle. It’s one with up’s and down’s, but the end result is quality of life and that simply is priceless!

9. Focus less on the results and focus more on enjoying the process.

More people should remember that when it comes to diets and fitness.

It will make for better adherence, and ironically better results in the long term.

10. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    Hadn't hit arms in a while. Today sent standing curl 90x8 with reps in reserve, body perfectly still no swing (IE: cheating). Triceps weren't the main focus today so some easy 80 lb skull crushers (sets of 10) dropping into a dip machine with 180 on it; nothing too exotic. Also did pullovers at 80x8 but had a lot of reps in reserve, even combined with the skull crushers and all. Hadn't done pullovers in a while but will post up some 100 lb pullovers soon; they really require a strong core so are pretty fun.

Maximus1973 and George Vosburgh like this.
  11. George Vosburgh

George Vosburgh F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Funny you should post this today. I've just decided to leave the preacher curls and go back to standing straight bar curls. For me it's back and biceps, chest and triceps, legs - squats or press, curls, extensions. I do dips on the parallel bars which I like.

Maximus1973 and Skidkid like this.
  12. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    I use an easy curl bar most of the time. A straight bar aggravates the tendonitis in my elbows. When the weights get heavier (standing curls), I always put on my weight belt as a precaution. We mix up the exercises a lot so the workouts don't get boring.

George Vosburgh likes this.
  13. Maximus1973

Maximus1973 Formula 3

Oct 29, 2016
    Try to mix up your arms a bit. They are very sensitive when it comes to switching exercises. Focus a bit more on higher reps/pump versus chest and back for example.
    Try also to do biceps after chest (triceps after back) as you'll have more strength left in them. But do warm them up a bit more.

I love preacher curls. Very few exercises give me a better pump. But I always, always do them last.
    A buddy of mine tore his bicep muscle when doping these heavy and not well warmed up. He's never fully recovered and his torn bicep still looks like crap.

14. Maximus1973

Maximus1973 Formula 3

Oct 29, 2016
    Easy curl bars for the wins!
    I'm never able to do curls with straight bars as they too aggrivate my tendonitis way too much.
    If you feel like body momentum is an issue for you, try doing these against the wall.
    Drop the weight (as you'll be less strong), but the enhanced connection and pump are worth it.
    Or try drag cruls once as they also eliminate any kind of momentum.

15. Thecadster

Thecadster F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 27, 2017
  16. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    Yep, that is a great bar. I either use those at the rack or a low, bar rack by the dumbbells. Sometimes I use the preacher curl as the bar rack, they aren't use too often by others.

17. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    And no, momentum isn't an issue for me; I purposely do not swing my body or weights. Keep the core tight, back pulled down and tight, chest up, head up (don't look down), glutes tight, extend arms on the down, and don't lean back. It is shocking how many people do not extend their arms. They keep them bent at maybe 45 degrees and move the body all over.

Standing curls are pretty easy to fully extend my arms. I have to be careful on a preacher, dumbbells or a bar. I have had too many injuries and normal working weight is dangerous fully extended but still under load.

18. Maximus1973

Maximus1973 Formula 3

Oct 29, 2016
    Sorry, keep forgetting how tall you are and that leverage is for you a different issue then the 'average' lifter!

If you aren't extending your arms, you're simply doing a back exercise!
    But again (and again and again and again) 99% of all gym goers are more interested in lifting a ton of weight versus actually doing an exercise the proper way.... that leads to proper results.
    There are no trophies for having the biggest cheat curl in the gym.....
    Yet everyone knows who has the biggest guns in the gym!

Weight doesn't always correlate to bigger muscles.
    Meaning bigger weights don't always mean bigger muscles.

19. Maximus1973

Maximus1973 Formula 3

Oct 29, 2016
    The grips are more a nice twist to training your arms as you are forced to grip the bar tighter.
    If you want to purchase them to soften the load on your elbows you (if available) are better of switching to dumbells.
    With dumbells you are in charge of the way you hold and twist your arms.

That curlbar however is awesome!

20. Thecadster

Thecadster F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 27, 2017
    I love that bar. I’m a total bar nerd. In fact, specialty bars is one of the big reasons why I can’t work out in a conventional gym. I have had my home set up for 15 years and have built it out to my liking. I’ve never seem a Marrs Bar in a gym (https://www.marrs-bar.com/products/marrs-bar). Never seen any Kabuki Bars like these:

https://store.kabukistrength.net/collections/bars/products/the-kadillac-bar-blemish

https://store.kabukistrength.net/products/the-trap-bar

https://store.kabukistrength.net/products/duffalo-performance-squat-bar

The other big reason I can’t go to a gym, is I am also a dumbbell nerd. I have Ivanko pro-style dumbbells that go from 20-140lbs with Plate Mates that allow adjustments of 2.5lbs to 5lbs per dumbbell (https://theplatemate.com/). I’ve seen gyms go to 150lbs dumbbells, but no gym has 117.5lbs dumbbells, or 92.5lbs dumbbells.

And don’t get my started on cable attachments. I must have a hundred of those including an ENTIRE set of Maximum Advantage Grips (https://www.maxagrip.com/products/). Cable attachment nerd too.

Skidkid likes this.
  21. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    I hate trap bars and never use them. I am the same height as you cadster but I find they hit my knees. We used to take that Rouge bar to the gym with us but gym management told us we couldn't bring it any more; I assume it is related to insurance. I bring several of my own cable attachments, clips, pushup handles, etc. I could bring platemates but so far I am ok with the 5 lb jumps available in my gym. The dumbbell set goes up to 130 or 140, I haven't used anything over 120 so I don't remember for certain.

I bring and occasionally use fat grips. It definitely changes the lift because of the grip strength required. I also use them on some of the dip stations that have small handles. The small handles hurt when doing weighted dips and the fat grips spread the load a lot.

Thecadster likes this.
  22. Thecadster

Thecadster F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 27, 2017
    I agree with you on conventional trap bars hitting the knees on tall guys. But the Kabuki trap bar has 2 handle settings, and the raised setting is absolutely perfect. Plus the grip sizes can we changed out too. It also has a built in “jack” for changing the weights which is absolute game changer.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

For conventional deadlifts, I found that I need a couple inches, so I have a couple stacks of these. Each are 2”, so I can customize the exact height I need for safety and comfort. I use to sumo deadlift, but it puts to much sheer pressure on my hip joint.

https://www.roguefitness.com/the-ultimate-dc-blocks

23. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    I am strong off the ground. My slow spot is just below the knees. Once it clears the knees the lift is as good as done. I have started doing pause reps and negatives through the slow/weakest area. I just started doing them so I will report back how it goes. If you want to get stronger off the ground do lifts from a deficit. IE: stand on a plate and pull the bar from lower. Like negatives & pause reps you will be working with a lower weight so the risk is minimal. I also ALWAYS wear a belt, knee sleeves, and I use straps because of tendonitis.

I too did sumo for a long time. I switched to a more conventional stance and my power went up a lot. We spent a LOT of time fine tuning the stance and motion. For me: Grip is about 1.25" onto the knurling, legs just inside the knurling, toes slightly out. I don't go quite as low with the rear. Before I lift off I pull the back super tight taking the slack out. In fact, that part will almost lift the bar off the ground. THEN, I lean back some and lift with a focus on keeping the triangle solid. To find the strongest foot spacing I would tell someone to stand there and set up like they are going to do a box jump. You will naturally put your feet at the spacing that generates the most upward force. Start at that spacing.

I think I posted my 275 earlier in the thread. That was before we finally tuned in the stance. Last week I ripped 245 for 2, I have never done anything over 225 for more than 1. And yes, my legs are my weakest point.

Maximus1973 and Thecadster like this.
  24. Maximus1973

Maximus1973 Formula 3

Oct 29, 2016
    Ah man, you had me already at the first kabuki bar you posted!
    These are serious gym crushes for me.
    Got to love those Kabuki products!

Have the Mars Bar (safety Bar) myself but somehow I can't really connect with it. Feels like I want to tip over under heavy load. I prefer a regular bar.

I'm a spolied brat... my dumbells go to 80kg (176pounds)

Thecadster likes this.
  25. Thecadster

Thecadster F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 27, 2017
    80kg dumbbells are no joke. I remember when I first got my set over a decade ago, I thought I would be repping 140’s. Well…it didn’t happen, and now that I am in my 50’s, I doubt that I will ever get there. The most I ever used was low rep dumbbell rows with the Plate Mates taking the final weight to 147.5lbs. Most push days, I just stare at them between sets and dream.

Skidkid likes this.