Weight Lifting techniques and tips | Page 14 | FerrariChat

Weight Lifting techniques and tips

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by Skidkid, Nov 19, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Maximus1973

Maximus1973 Formula 3

Oct 29, 2016
    Still waiting on progress pics.....
    How do you feel / is the weight loss going at this stage?
    You should be nearly at the point where you want to be.

2. Maximus1973

Maximus1973 Formula 3

Oct 29, 2016
    it's always you vs you.
    Not versus some genetic freak.

You are very tall, so you are in a natural disposition to pick up heavy stuff. Simple leverage.

Would you say you have trouble locking out of pulling from the hole?
    If it's locking out you could switch to partial deadlifts where you pull from about mid shin height to place more focus on your back versus hips.

If it's the initial pull, it's more hip work you should focus on.

3. Thecadster

Thecadster F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 27, 2017
    I tend to think he might need more volume? 3 x 12 followed up with 3 sets reverse hypers. Do that once a week. The 2nd week, go up 5lbs for 11 reps. The 3rd week, use that same weight (+5), but do 12 reps. Repeat this pattern until you plateau, then go up weight to 10 reps. I really think deadlifts require significant volume to master the nuances of the form. I bet he could do 300+ for 6-8 reps in a years time.

4. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    This could be true. I am strong off the ground and once I am above the knees the lift is as good as done. My back is very strong so I never crown over but there is room to pull a bit tighter there and it does help. My slow (weakest) spot is from about 3" below until I clear the kneecaps. We have been adding in pause reps and very slow negatives. The negatives really help with muscle memory so you stay in form, it also shows me where the form could be better. The differences in form are small but significant.

5. Maximus1973

Maximus1973 Formula 3

Oct 29, 2016
    Could very well be. The deadlift is a very technical lift.So practice will make perfect.
    You also should ask yourself why you want to do deadlifts.
    Do you want to strengthen your spinal muscles or perhaps because its an exercise you simply want to master.
    Both are fine reasons, but they can help you push into a certain direction.
    If the bottom top part is your weakest area, you could try for a number of weeks Rack Pulls aka partial deadlifts.
    Or indeed simply decrease the weight and focus on form.

6. Indeed.

That's why we aim for PR's when weight training and not a WR.

Yurtsy and Skidkid like this.
  7. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    Arms last night. They are getting strong enough I need to rethink the workout. Bicep we did standing curls with the peak at 100x6 then 110x6, still plenty of reps in reserve. We dropped those into dumbbell curls but don't know if there is a name for the specific movement. Curl both arms 1/2 way (parallel to the ground), hold them there when not working that arm, one arm at a time (switching with each different motion) work: 7 on the lower half, 7 upper half, 7 full motion. Then I continue to pump them out AMRAP. Time under tension is huge and you get a great pump. I went 15x41 and still could have gone more. Of course we do isolation curls and many other things but heavier than maybe 120 doesn't look like the best option. I can increase reps a lot, vary angles of attack/use, increase time under tension, more spider curls and things that alter the loading over range of motion. Other than that I am not sure what to change up.

Triceps we were were skull crushers again but we do many different things on various days: weighted dips, single arm (dumbbell) extensions, kickbacks, dumbbell pull overs, etc. Cru8shers we peaked out at 105x8 then 115x6 but like bicep, there were a lot of reps in reserve. And yes, I move my arms to where the elbows are above my head so the entire working session is time under tension. We dropped that into 100x25 on a machine that really lets me squeeze at full extension, a great fitting machine for me. Here too I think I am going to mix it up. I have done 135 on a crusher but that has clear risk to the elbows and heavier just sounds like a bad/dangerous idea. I am thinking I will hunt for new angles of attack next.

If there are exercises I should consider or other suggestions I am open to hear them. And yes, even the built guys notice when I am curling. Form is tight, no swinging, no lifting the elbows forward, no leaning back, just commitment and pull to make it go up.

8. Maximus1973

Maximus1973 Formula 3

Oct 29, 2016
    For biceps you could consider drag curls as they are easier on your wrists.
    I would realy reconsider dropping tose partial holds of the resting arm. Plenty of videos on why that is a not optimal way of training arms. Your get too much junk volume.
    If you want to have a similar style pump, I would strongly consider Myo-reps for your biceps:
    Curl 15-25 reps. Put the bar down and rest 5-10 seonds. You should be able to get 4-5 reps. Repeat another 4 times (5-10 seconds rest and 4-5 reps).
    Similar pump buty you don't get any prefatigue so all reps are actual working sets and volume.

For triceps:
    Triceps pushdowns with dual ropes are very nice; do these bent over behind your body.
    Triceps extension ; do these with the rope in front of your buody.
    Tricep seated extension
    Diamond/ close grip pushups

Kickbacks realy have a much too short tension trajectory. You hardly flex and thus use them. You'll see les and less people do them for obvious reasons.
    Pull overs are more upper back oriented but use a bit of tricep involvement as well.

9. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    I already do most of these or very similar variations. I will look at incorporating a few variations. I should note: the high rep count you advocated first is in direct opposition to your next comments about TUT.

As for holding weight under tension (TUT): Yes, there are many studies and just slowing down reps doesn't make you stronger, generally the opposite. In this case the TUT was after the muscle was fatigued and had lifted heavy, it is a finisher. AND the same studies show that TUT does improve endurance. Also if you work for more than 70 sec and drive the muscles to failure there are basically similar gains in size (but not max weight). I didn't see a study mixing the two and there likely isn't one.

Kickbacks work very well but you have to control the weight and you have to squeeze the triceps at the top. If you are just launching the weight up and letting it come down, no squeeze at the top, you will not see any gains. Honestly, if you aren't flexing the tri during a kickback you are doing it very wrong. And yes, there is a TON of bad form in the gym. Most do everything wrong.

10. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    @Thecadster I tried out some reverse hypers last night, have never done them before. The flat bench was WAY too easy but that was early in my warmup sets. Deadlifts I pulled 233 x3, x3, x2 then did 155 pause reps (at my slowest point) and did a slow negative to finish each rep. Did that x6 but was definitely done after, back wasn't injured but very tired from the workout, so didn't do extras at the end. A bit slow to get moving this morning but feel fine now. I will give reverse hypers another shot, I can see the potential benefit. Maybe do a few today even though it isn't legs day, I will work some core so that is a good offset.

11. Maximus1973

Maximus1973 Formula 3

Oct 29, 2016
    There is some very neat research on Myo-reps. If you google it, you will find a link towards the Norwegian trainer that more or less created and molded it.
    The 15-20 reps for just 1 set isn’t basically that much high volume work as it’s just pre fatigue work. The actual growth happens in the sets afterwards. With one doing very low sets but you completely do all reps close to failure.
    Meaning the ‘ junk’ volume just happens on the first set and I would debate anymore that 15-20 reps for biceps/triceps isn’t really high volume.

TUT is an important growth factor indeed, just like you mentioned. However there is also TUT and junk volume combined. One could simply flex a 1 pound dumbell and hold it for an hour. Incredible TUT, but no growth stimulus as it’s all junk volume.
    There are a ton of videos explaining why holding and flexing unilateral dumbells don’t do so much…..
    But heck if you feel like it’s a great finisher and works for you, who am I to say “ don’t do them”!
    All I’m saying research doesn’t favor it, but in the greater picture we’re probably talking about minor differences here.

Yes, I know kickbacks need to be squeezed. However the muscle load drops very, very fast once you move past a few inches of that squeeze/tension position.
    Gravity takes over and decreases the load of these.
    Again, if you feel these work for you and you don’t feel a strain, keep on doing them.
    All I’m saying from a bio-mechanical standpoint there are beter alternatives.

When I’m chatting with current top trainers no one does them anymore……

12. Maximus1973

Maximus1973 Formula 3

Oct 29, 2016
    The elite lifters at Westside Barbell do a lot of reverse hypers, especially after legs and most several times per week to offset the spinal strain from heavy deadlifting/squats.
    Perhaps incorporating the (reverse) hypers is the missing link for your deadlifts.

13. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    A few from last night. Arm day and the back shot is from last night too. I leaned back a bit on the last couple of curls but I didn't whip my body around or cheat with momentum so I am happy with that. It is those last couple of reps that win the gains. THEN, we did a drop set into 30x10 dumbbell isolation curls. That was a fierce pump.

This set of dips was #2 at +75lb, the sets were x5. The last couple of dips were not quite deep enough. Easy to see on video but not always easy to feel. Next time. I felt I could get a 3rd set like the one I posted if I took a couple of minutes (definitely reserves) so I will make sure I am deep enough next time.

Not bad considering I was over 50lb heavier and out of shape at the end of 2017. I will find one of the pics my wife took back then and post it for you. BUT I wasn't in shape at 56 (2017) and now I will be 62 in July. You can definitely put on muscle and get ripped at any age. It just takes big commitment and care not to get hurt.

https://www.facebook.com/photo/?fbid=6166553863382977

ryalex, Scott98 and Maximus1973 like this.
  14. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    I always struggle with getting the post or video to embed properly. The bars URL doesn't work. What am I missing here?

15. Maximus1973

Maximus1973 Formula 3

Oct 29, 2016
    That’s pretty d@mn strong on dips! Respect
    Got to love that ‘ functional’ body weight strength.
    It carries more over into the real world.

Skidkid likes this.
  16. Scott98

Scott98 F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2004
    Weston, FL
    Full Name:
    Scott
    #341 Scott98, Apr 8, 2023
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2023
    About to start peak week on Monday. Down 22lbs since January 6th. I’m absolutely miserable, irritable and have no energy. Tonight, I’m cheating slightly to get some additional calories and have some semblance of a life. Don’t care. I’m lean enough. If you have a family, they will unfortunately suffer with you. That’s just the way it is. It definitely takes a toll.

Increased water consumption to two gallons a day which will continue through the week. Will also start slowly cutting sodium and adding in carbs. Purchased some herbal diuretics and a glucose disposal agent for later in the week (all legal). What a journey. Going to finish strong though. FWIW, I will be turning 47 less than a month from the contest. As @Skidkid has indicated, it’s never too late to get into shape!

Thecadster and Skidkid like this.
  17. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    Serious Respect. Cutting for a show is VERY hard. Most people have no idea what is involved. Looking forward to a few pics of the results.

And yes, there are plenty of guys at my gym that win competitions but most are not natty. Most are pretty well juiced. Doesn't matter if we win or lose, doing natty is the way to go at this for a long time.

Scott98 likes this.
  18. Maximus1973

Maximus1973 Formula 3

Oct 29, 2016
    Keep going at it Scott, finishline is in sight.
    You can perfectly fine use a Glucose disposal agent, I use a natural one each and every day before any meals with carbs.
    I trust your coach has a plan on how to deal with the water loss/management.
    It’s a bit tricky to time; especially for the first time.
    A general protocol is to increase water and sodium up to 2 weeks before the show.
    Lats 2 days you eliminate both completely and you’ll pee out whatever water you have left as your body is accustomed to the high water intake.
    But again, I’m sure your coach has you set up.

Once the show is over, try (TRY) to not eat everything in sight for the upcoming days as you’ll gain fat at a alarming rate, but try (try!) to slowy increase calories.

Thecadster and Scott98 like this.
  19. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
  20. Maximus1973

Maximus1973 Formula 3

Oct 29, 2016
  21. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    Thank you. I am stronger narrow grip. Wide grip tends to aggravate my tendonitis so I don't do it too often and not as heavy.

What people don't know about those shrugs is that I did 270x6 and 360x6 as part of that same set. We only paused long enough to add more weights so that 450x8 is at the end of a 20 rep set.

Maximus1973 likes this.
  22. Scott98

Scott98 F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2004
    Weston, FL
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Today was the day. I started this journey about 1.5 years ago and it didn’t even cross my mind to compete until about 6 or so months ago. And even then I was doing it more as a personal challenge/bucket list thing just to see if I could do it. Going in to this competition, a “win” for me was simply showing up in contest shape and hopefully not finishing dead last. Well………1.5 years of consistent training and eating along with 13 weeks of contest prep/suffering……..I got second place in the Men’s Physique 40+ category (one away from a pro card!!!) and third place in the Men’s Physique Debut category where I had to compete against some much younger people! Never in my wildest dreams did I think I would have done this well! The pics below were taken during the Debut class. I’m the tall guy in the red shorts. I’m either the oldest or second oldest guy in those pics, just a few weeks shy of turning 47 (guy in gray shorts to my left is someone I also beat in 40+, not sure how old he is).
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

italiafan, Skidkid and Thecadster like this.
  23. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    Wow, nicely done! The hard work paid off. Congratulations.

Scott98 likes this.
  24. Congrats Scott!

Well done sir.

But I can't be the only one thinking this, but who is the guy with the red hair? Went a bit too far on his cut ...
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

25. Scott98

Scott98 F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2004
    Weston, FL
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Lol. Guess he was just having a good time!

Skidkid likes this.