Weight Lifting techniques and tips | Page 5 | FerrariChat

Weight Lifting techniques and tips

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by Skidkid, Nov 19, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    Yes, I generally finish with a drop set or series of drops (go to fail, drop, fail, drop, fail, drop, .... stupidly low weight to fail). We had already pushed VERY hard so we quit there and skipped the drop set we were planning.

2. Maximus1973

Maximus1973 Formula 3

Oct 29, 2016
    monitoring recovery rate is the ebst way to judge if next workout you could and/or should do more.
    A more advanced strategy would be to start working in wave cycles where you ramp up the volume/intensity each week only to take a big dive down in the last week of that cycle to allow overcompensation and thus more progress and growth.
    So you slowly work towards overtraining only to back off at the right moment.

3. Brian Show

Brian Show Rookie

Apr 13, 2020
    Full Name:
    Brian Show
    I personally mix up my strength and conditioning days. Strength days usually consist of either deadlifts or squats with 3-5 sets and 3-8 reps depending on the weight. I recommend you to focus on core strength and proper execution of the lift. I like to think the strength days help out when standing up with a heavy pack or loading coolers in and out of trucks.

Conditioning days, I lower the weight and do lots of reps and keep my heart rate elevated and maximize work capacity with as little rest as possible.

My conditioning work out today consisted of the following:
    10 rounds of:
    5 strict pullups with 45# chains around shoulders
    10 squats with 45# chains
    10 push ups with 45# chains
    10 step ups on bench with 45# chains for each leg
    200m jog/spring (jog out to mailbox/sprint back to garage)

I want to take a week off from lifting as recommended by https://betterme.world/articles/taking-a-week-off-from-lifting/ . Will share my experience.

4. Maximus1973

Maximus1973 Formula 3

Oct 29, 2016
    A de-load week is often recommended when you feel tired, lacking focus or progress is stale. It refreshes your central nervous system whilst giving your joints a break. The scientific data on it is; that the data is inconclusive. Meaning there is no guideline here. if you think you need one, take one. Sometimes a week of doing nothing will refresh you and yield better results in the week after.
    Often advanced lifters will feel like they "loose muscle or strength" when doing nothing for an entire week. This is virtuually impossible as the only thing that will happen is that the central nervous system will fire less intense so one 'feels' a bit weaker the week after, only to fully regainn strength the following week. Musclke atrophy only occurs in a slow manner after doing nothing for 2 weeks. Simply doing a few push ups that week combats that atrophy.

In fact, for most lifters, simply reducing volume and intensity by 50% during a deload week is enough to yield the recovery effects yet combat the atrophy and CNS loss.

If you do happen to plan a deload week, I would increase volume/intensity the week before a deload/rest week with aprox 10% to really make the best of rest period.

Great conditioning stretegy btw. Sprinting is one of the most underrated exercises one can do that has an immediatecarry over effect to daily life. It's a true CNS stimulance that primes your system.

JJ and italiafan like this.
  5. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    Nice post and welcome to the chat. I was traveling this week so had a few days off. Will hit it today but not too hard, than back full speed by Monday. And yes, I tend to work longer circuits so I get a lot of cardio when I lift. I will try to track what we do in detail a few days and share with everyone. NOTE: we do track weight and reps but it only shows the major forms. There is a TON of volume and work in the other exercises so to give the picture I need to make a more detailed list for you guys.

Not sure I posted but I sent up the 135 OHP for 2 singles last week and I am confident I could have done a 3rd single. We will work this weight for a while then jump the PR up again.

And yes, I agree with everything about form. As they say "No one cares how much you can lift with terrible form." Form is 100% about protecting yourself from injury. We work form 100% of the time and lately we have been working on tiny changes in grip, position, bar path, etc. They all make a big difference but you have to lift enough to even understand/feel the differences.

6. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    My friend (he is a trainer) had his gear bag stolen at the gym. He doesn't have that much $ so I replaced several things for him. One was a new weight belt. I REALLY love my Pioneer Power Lifting belt so I got him one and had it customized with his logo. it is a 13mm lever belt and thought you would like to see it.

The lead time for these belts is pretty long, 6-8 weeks. They are full custom make and it is a pretty amazing belt. Sorry for the shameless plug but the belts are that good. And mods, feel free to remove the plug if you so desire.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

7. Maximus1973

Maximus1973 Formula 3

Oct 29, 2016
    That looks like one bad ass belt!

8. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    Thanks. When I bought my belt I put it on and it was SOOOOO comfortable. It did break in a bit but it felt like my old friend from the very first moment. AND the difference in cost between a cheap piece of junk and a custom belt is small. That belt all in, including the custom embroidery, was like $230. A simple one from them is about $100 less. A cheap junk belt is still $50. I can't imagine why someone would buy one of the cheap belts to save maybe $70.

9. Maximus1973

Maximus1973 Formula 3

Oct 29, 2016
    It's the wrong kind of saving....
    Then again, I do keep my lifting belt alwayys in my gym bag, but can't remember when I last really used it. Besides one set with a heavy set of trap bar deadlifts.

10. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    Agreed. But I wear my bel often. I have injured my back so many times over the years I am highly motivated to add the protection early. I use for things like deadlifts, squats, pendlay row, and OHP. Sometimes on heavy zig-zag bar curls as well. Maybe a few others but mostly anything that exposes my lower back to high torque.

11. Maximus1973

Maximus1973 Formula 3

Oct 29, 2016
    I actually decided to skip deadlifts and squas alltogether. the risk vs reward was out of sync for me. I have found better alternatives that get the same job done with minimal risk. Being belt squats, hack squat and trap bar deads.

12. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    I get that. Trap bar doesn't work very well for me, I am 6'6" tall. That is a lift were it wall about proper form. If you do it wrong you can definitely hurt yourself. Of course beginner lifters haven't gotten over just dropping the weights. I am perfectly fine with that and don't care how much noise it makes.

Today was arms. Worked my way up on weighted dips. Sent 3 (full 90 at the elbow or a bit ore) with 90 lb on the belt. Bicep I worked up to 80 lb on a spider curl (curl bar) for 8 and drop set into spider curls with 25 lb dumbbells for 12. Got a great pump out of that. Tomorrow is legs again.

13. Maximus1973

Maximus1973 Formula 3

Oct 29, 2016
    Impressive weights…!

14. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    Thank you. Time, commitment, and consistency really drives my results. I undoubtedly have some genetics on my side too; at 60 I have no regular medications. I also have a body builders physique, not a power lifters physique, so it shows off the muscles well.

15. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    Here are the dips from the other night. I knew #3 was going to be tough before I went for it and while it was close, I did pull up just before I finished the last one because I didn't want sudden failure and a fall. NOTE: WOW, the embed sure strips the quality down a lot.

Maximus1973 and Scott98 like this.
  16. Maximus1973

Maximus1973 Formula 3

Oct 29, 2016
    Niceeeee!
    The Form Police approves this message ;)

Skidkid likes this.
  17. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
  18. Maximus1973

Maximus1973 Formula 3

Oct 29, 2016
    Great job and indeed again nice form!

Skidkid likes this.
  19. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
  20. Maximus1973

Maximus1973 Formula 3

Oct 29, 2016
  21. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    This is from last night. We had already done a lot of volume at 70 and 90 (drop setting into 25lb hammers each time) but went for the 110 anyway. The 3rd may not be as clean as the first two but went up. All I can say is commit and never give up.

22. Maximus1973

Maximus1973 Formula 3

Oct 29, 2016
    Pretty darn good!
    You have a lot of (upper body) strength compared to your build!

Would love to get a workout together, but alas there is an ocean between us.....

Skidkid likes this.
  23. Maximus1973

Maximus1973 Formula 3

Oct 29, 2016
    Curently on a 5 days a week split.
    Monday : chest - back - shoulders
    Tuesday: (30 min interval cardio + abs
    Wednesday: legs (quad dominant) + calves
    Thursday: rest
    Friday: back - chest - shoulders
    Saturday: biceps - triceps - abs
    Sunday legs (hamstring dominant) + calves

Recovery on my biceps partial teat has been excellent so I'm able to ramp up volume on it; except staying safe away from 120pound+ heavy barbell curls.
    Loving the results so far.

In fact, training most muscle 2x a week feels so much better. I get more overall volume, but less per session so I don't run myself into the ground.
    Especialy for the non PED lifters working out the same muscle several times a week makes more sense from a muscle building perspective.

I tend to keep a close eye on my recovery levels as my sleep remains an issue(getting only 5 hours in per night).
    What has been a true game changer for me is a heavy serving of EAA's (20gram) + 25 gram of higly branched cyclic dextrin.
    I always thought that the science wasn't clear on this matter and that carbs are not pivital for recovery. So I genreally staying with a propytein shake after my workout and be done with it.
    Now consuming just a tiny bit of carbs during my workout has made a tremendous difference. I hardly ever get sore, despite my Monday session taking 2 hours!
    Have to say that the Cyclic Dextrin (if you get the real stuff!) is just amazing. No stomach issues and instant results.

I you do al ot of volume/workouts, I can not emphaisze this stack enough.
    It's a not a supp regimen beginners will need nor feel, yet if you are advanced you will feel it right away!

italiafan likes this.
  24. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith

Few questions if you don’t mind.
    1. You reversed order of chest and back on the second day of that grouping in the week. Is there a physiologic reason for that, like hitting the muscle group as a priority first, or just a typo?
    2. Is hitting biceps and triceps the day after the second round of chest and back hurting your joints at all? Any concerns about recovery on those smaller muscle groups with no rest day in between?
    3. General question about deload weeks. If I normally do 6 sets of 12, adjusting the weights so that 12 reps is indeed failure, on the deload week do I do the same weight to failure for 3 sets (50%), or do I drop the weight 50% and do 6 sets of 12? It would seem doing 50% weight for same sets and reps would be so easy peasy it would seem like “just going through the motions.”

Thanks!
    Always appreciate the help!

25. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    I tend to use circuits so I get through a LOT of stuff in an hour.
    Your observation about deload being easy peasy is exactly why I struggle with deload periods. I always want to push so holding back is tough; for me it is almost easier to go on vacation and not work out that week. But yes, drop the weight down. You can increase reps with the lower weight but the point is to avoid taking muscles to failure during the deload. Let them rest and recover. I often treat it as volume to build the base for further gains; at least that mindset helps me.