Weird sunroof or hack? | FerrariChat

Weird sunroof or hack?

Discussion in '308/328' started by dino1971, Feb 4, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. dino1971

dino1971 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 24, 2013
    Bordeaux, France
    Full Name:
    Dario
    Hi Group,

I have a question, but first an introduction: I currently have a Dino, but with the other badge on it (F**T). I love the engine and am thinking about taking the plunge to upgrade to the other F brand! :D

I have seen this strange 1977 308 GT4, and would welcome any opinions on how and where these things happened: Is it an aftermarket sunroof, or someone's idea of making a Targa out of a GT4? Has anyone else seen this before?

I have learned a lot reading this forum and it is an invaluable source of info, thank you!

Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. 19633500GT

19633500GT F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 9, 2010
    Blueberry
    Full Name:
    Muffin-Tops
    Hack, sadly. The sunroof would be body colored and 'flush' with the roofline on a factory sunroof car

*MANY more experts on here than my crumbs of knowledge, so please correct my above description if it is incorrect*

mwr4440 likes this.
  3. Brian Harper

Brian Harper F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 17, 2006
    San Jose area
    Full Name:
    Brian Harper
    I have seen this sunroof on another car I think. I believe I saw at Bruce Canepa Cars in Scotts Valley many years ago and I don't think I've seen that car or this kind of sunroof since.

**Edit - Wow, I can't believe I found this needle in a haystack of my pictures so quickly. Yes, I saw this in 2015.**

Attached Files:

4. dino1971

dino1971 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 24, 2013
    Bordeaux, France
    Full Name:
    Dario
    Thank you both for your replies! Brian, that is incredible that you found the exact same thing! This makes me think that it was some aftermarket modification available at the time. Perhaps dealer installed? Otherwise, it's curious that it is found on both sides of the Atlantic. I've been sifting through google images of 308's, with no luck. I wonder who would know?

I'm also glad to see that I'm not the only one that has a collection of random car pictures on my computer!

5. Rosey

Rosey F1 Rookie

Nov 5, 2015
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Mark R
    What type of seats are in the black version?
    They look like corduroy, not sure of the logo on the upper backrests.

6. miketuason

miketuason F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Looks like Recaro seats

Rosey likes this.
  7. miked

miked Formula Junior

Feb 7, 2001
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    My GT4 has a factory sunroof, it fits flush with the rest of the roof with just a small (2-3mm) gap all the way around. The headliner/roof structure is about 2" lower than a non sunroof car, enough that there is no room above the rear window for an interior light.

8. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Dr Tommy Cosgrove Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    People did this type of thing back in the 70's and 80's

I had a friend who's dad opened a car stereo business back in the mid 80's and besides radios amps and speakers, they sold "moon roofs". They would cut a hole in your roof and pop in one of those glass things you could tilt open or just remove completely.

Lot of people got them for their VW Beetles and Toyota Celicas

tomberlin likes this.
  9. Rosey

Rosey F1 Rookie

Nov 5, 2015
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Mark R
    The very same people that drilled holes into fresh bodywork and trim for cell phone aerials, alarm sirens, keypads and now obsolete cell phone holders.

10. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    ONly the very last Series of GT4s had Factory sunroofs and as noted they were painted body color, and brought with them all the normal "hole in your roof" problems..

My car does indeed have a hole drilled right in the engine deck lid for a "mobil phone antenna".....gonna fix that, one of these days...

11. Portofino

Portofino Formula Junior

Sep 17, 2011
    Yorkshire UK / Switzerland/ Liguria ( Italy )
    Full Name:
    Portofino
    Those cloth recaros are lifted from a Lancia .