Welcome Home! | FerrariChat

Welcome Home!

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by PineChris, Oct 20, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. PineChris

PineChris Formula 3

Apr 17, 2013
    California
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Just delivered today. I need to address a few issues, but overall in very good shape. Does anyone know where to buy the engine deck lid sound and heat insulation? Mine is looking ragged, and I want to replace it. I think alot of people remove it all together? Recommendations on exhaust? Currently all stock setup with cats. Want to remove it all. I dont want a Capristo or anything like that, I want to make it sound like a Testarossa should sound , not like an F1 car. So I've been looking at Tubi, or Ansa. Saw a vid with the ansa system on and it sounded really good, but I'm not to fond of the look of the look and quality. Just getting acquainted with the car right now .
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

VColin, sixcarbs and djs308 like this.
  2. xplodee

xplodee Formula 3

Jan 3, 2017
    Allentown, PA
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Looks great! would love to know more information such as year, mileage and if you're willing to disclose, the price.

Could you provide a picture of the ragged engine cover insulation? Mine doesn't have any. I have had a hard time finding any car that shows the insulation.

3. vincenzo

vincenzo F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2003
    that car looks great - but then again, I’m biased.

My fav is xost with precats gone and hyperflow main cats.

4. PineChris

PineChris Formula 3

Apr 17, 2013
    California
    Full Name:
    Chris
    That sounds great! I will look up Xost

5. PineChris

PineChris Formula 3

Apr 17, 2013
    California
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Ive noticed alot of people simply removed the shield, and then painted it black to match the rest. My car is a 91 with 11k miles. One thing I noticed also is that the throttle is a bit stiff, and that you can get the car going in first gear without giving any gas. Is that normal?

6. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

I had an ansa...its okay but the order should be capristo>tubi>ansa as far as sound quality

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. Natkingcolebasket69

Image Unavailable, Please Login
    To give u an idea, Parnelli tried to get this one but they wouldn’t want any penny less than 110k i believe and the car basically had done 500 miles in 15 years before its major.

8. sherrillt

sherrillt Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 1, 2009
    Northern Virginia
    There is thread on replacing the insulation. Melvok fabricated a nice custom solution about 5-6 years ago and provided plenty of pics.

9. Testarossa Sean

Testarossa Sean Karting

May 13, 2018
    California
    Full Name:
    Sean
    Capristo exhaust. Warning... throbbing headache when idle...chrome ages better too. Image Unavailable, Please Login

https://instagram.com/p/BkOtXQuBklo/

Attached Files:

10. blkdiablo33

blkdiablo33 F1 Rookie

Jul 12, 2004
    Beautiful example sold to cheap imo

11. Veedub00

Veedub00 F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2006
    Troy, Michigan
    Full Name:
    James
    That's my car!

here's another video. I have since decatted the precats so its sounds better now.

vincenzo and blkdiablo33 like this.
  12. PineChris

PineChris Formula 3

Apr 17, 2013
    California
    Full Name:
    Chris
    They would not take 110k for the car. I tried for a long time. For the most part it is in better shape than any Testarossa Ive seen forsale. It has had almost $20k in service including major since end of 2016. It drives very well, very tight. No shakes, squeaks or rattles. It has a few small cosmetic flaws that I will attend to.

xplodee likes this.
  13. PineChris

PineChris Formula 3

Apr 17, 2013
    California
    Full Name:
    Chris
  14. PineChris

PineChris Formula 3

Apr 17, 2013
    California
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Love the sound but cant seem to find the system for sale?

15. JLF

JLF Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 8, 2009
    Man that’s beautiful! Congrats.

16. 302Tim

302Tim Formula 3

Jul 2, 2011
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Throttle really shouldn't be stiff--may need to pull the airbox to disconnect and determine if it's linkage or cable. Normal to be able to get rolling in 1st without accelerating. In many cases you can accelerate from a stop in 2nd gear as well. As far as insulation the original turns to foam dust after many years exposure to heat. The last NOS pad I saw was 3-4 years ago and ~$350.00. The judges have told us here they don't take off points if the foam isn't there as many cars did not come from the factory with it. I installed a Tubi on mine with cat delete pipes--the pre-cats are in-tact. Great sound, not obnoxious, loud if you want it to be. You car looks great, congratulations!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

xplodee and Natkingcolebasket69 like this.
  17. Natkingcolebasket69

Well having seen the record on that car i would have been hesitant since it was barely driven for years. I have seen them from the shop.The $ receipts on tr is one thing but usually its better that it is consistent throughout its life as opposed to a one shot as they dont like sitting too much.
    This used to be a consignment at JM Legend which wanted 150k for it and then unloaded it to them.
    Parnelli was able to have an offer accepted so when he comes back on the forum he will share. I do know there were not that flexible though .
    That being said it is a great purchase and a great addition to your wonderful collection!

18. Natkingcolebasket69

I seen ur videos online! Insane sound!
    The precat delete is underestimated in my opinion, i never liked the cat delete because of the smell. Very nice set up.

19. Natkingcolebasket69

Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Just to be sure this is the car right?
    They seemed to have done an extensive job and hopefully the fact that it sat for many years is all addressed. Let us know. Im always curious how those turnout.

20. PineChris

PineChris Formula 3

Apr 17, 2013
    California
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Yes... Thats it. Ive worked on this car since JM had it, and wanted far to much for it. Seeing as what other cars with similar miles and condition are selling for, I feel this car was a good purchase in the color combo I wanted.

Natkingcolebasket69 likes this.
  21. Natkingcolebasket69

Enjoy!
    JM’s inventory is dwindling by the day- i wonder if they are going out of business!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk.

22. PineChris

PineChris Formula 3

Apr 17, 2013
    California
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Anyone have a used exhaust they want to sell? :)

23. Parnelli

Parnelli Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 30, 2013
    Milwaukee, WI
    Full Name:
    Greg P
    Congrats Chris! Nice looking car. I spent a lot of time looking at pics of it and talking to Eric at Top Gear. I also talked to the guy at JM when he had it on consignment (at a crazy high price).

I just couldn't get past the fact that it had sat for 12 years. I saw all of the service records but don't know enough about these cars to know what else it was going to need. So I decided to take a pass.

You have some other great 80's cars in your garage so it will fit your collection well!

As for me, I'm officially out of the TR market. Couldn't find anybody that I really trusted who was selling one (with the exception of StarDoc...I shoulda bought his car!).

All the other sellers were ridiculous. I've seen everything from vague pricing/history, to cars that had MAJOR title issues, to hearing things like "free gas for a year if you buy this Ferrari". I just needed to step away and go to the sidelines for awhile.

I realize many sellers of other cars are like that as well but for some reason I really came across it hard while looking at TR's.

I live in the Midwest and, for that kind of money, want a car where the roof comes off :) Thinking of a 458 eventually. Would LOVE a 575 Superamerica……..but out of my price range.

Congrats once again and please post some more pics/videos !!

24. xplodee

xplodee Formula 3

Jan 3, 2017
    Allentown, PA
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Guess the $80-90k white TR in great shape may not exist after all ;) FWIW though I hear where you're coming from on shiesty dealers over-representing cars. Did you see the one in the classifieds now (albeit a red TR) where he had the price down to $88k but then raised it to $102k saying "the market has changed." You get free gas for a year with that one too. Oh boy.

25. Parnelli

Parnelli Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 30, 2013
    Milwaukee, WI
    Full Name:
    Greg P
    No white ones for $80-90K. Plenty of red ones in that range, though !