Well, I finally got a taste of a race track! | FerrariChat

Well, I finally got a taste of a race track!

Discussion in 'Tracking & Driver Education' started by PeterS, Apr 10, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. PeterS

PeterS Four Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 24, 2003
    Goodyear, AZ
    Full Name:
    PeterS
    What a hoot this was, a charity event for local kids at the Phoenix Speedway in Avondale. $30 donation for five laps. There were 15 cars in each 5 lap session following a pace car that was driving around 55-60. You could give yourself some lag and punch it for a short distance at 80-85MPH and that was a lot of fun.

I did not brake all that much but I can see where track days can go through brakes pretty fast. In short, it was a great opportunity at this big oval and for a few seconds, you do feel like Ricky Road Race. The experience gave me a great deal of respect for experienced / pro drivers on these tracks who are driving at 3X the speed. Its not for me but the taste of it sure was a lot of fun!

Image Unavailable, Please Login

VAF84 likes this.
  2. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    Don't you want to do it again soon? It kind of grows on you. There are most likely local track groups in your area. An easy way to find out who is running is the race track's calendar. You can then look up that group's webpage and see what it takes to sign up. Yes you can go to HPDE school but you can also do what you did today and go a little faster next time and then faster still and figure it out. It isn't rocket science. I started driving my Ferrari around a track on a similar to you "lunchtime drive around" with the AlfaRomeo club and ended up SCCA clubracing all around the Country with sites on Europe next and a number of racecars later.

3. PeterS

Silver Subscribed

Jan 24, 2003
    Goodyear, AZ
    Full Name:
    PeterS
    I'd sure like to but only at the extent of last night. It would be fun to get out on a more complex track but that is something I'd not entertain for a few reasons: 1) If I resell the car, I'd like to say it's not been tracked (last night was like an average night on the freeway so I don't think it counts), 2) Extra maintenance expenses on a car that has been driven harder. I kinda 'grandma' my 360, 3) The possibility of getting in a wreck and 4) The insurance thing.

I think though that I would have a lot of fun getting into tracking and racing but I know myself better than not get too close to that particular syringe of heroin!

fatbillybob likes this.
  4. 360Tom

360Tom Formula 3

May 9, 2013
    Burbank, CA
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Track days are so addictive. Once you do it, you’ll be looking for excuses to get out there again.

davem likes this.
  5. plastique999

plastique999 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2008
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Edward
    Agree, racing creates the fondest memories

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LVP488 likes this.
  6. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    The only way to limit the urge for track days is probably to race...

360Tom likes this.
  7. PeterS

Silver Subscribed

Jan 24, 2003
    Goodyear, AZ
    Full Name:
    PeterS
    I'll never get into racing but the 5 laps I did sure gave me some great memories for my lifetime. It was great seeing everything from hopped up Mustang GT's to classic 60's drop-tops to soccer moms in their mini vans full of kids. I would guess that charity events such as this one will be a thing of the past soon due to lawyers and insurance costs.

8. jcurry

jcurry Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 16, 2012
    In the past
    Full Name:
    Jim
    One of our local track day outfits does a charity event every summer for kids with cancer. Its basically a normal track day, with 3 classes of cars, but you get to take a kid (or parent) along during your session. So no limits, although you drive maybe a notch lower than normal. But that still means the top run group is busting 140-150 on the straight. The kids hop out of one car and get in line for the next ride. All day long. Big smiles on everyone.

tritone and LVP488 like this.
  9. PeterS

Silver Subscribed

Jan 24, 2003
    Goodyear, AZ
    Full Name:
    PeterS
    Do you need track insurance for such an charity event? I thought about that when I was on the Phoenix track. What if somebody without insurance hit my car? Would I be SOL?

10. jcurry

jcurry Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 16, 2012
    In the past
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Generally you are SOL without track insurance. What you were doing was not really a track event, IMO, although your insurance company may have a different opinion. Its sort of a gray area even for HPDE, since they are neither a race or timed event. I have not read about anyone's experience who has had to debate that with their carrier.

11. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    In my experience, always assume the worst with insurance companies. They'll do their very best not paying out by whichever measure they can. If the event is a grey area, you can be damn sure they'll treat it as a trackday...

jcurry likes this.