went to see the eye dr. need glasses recommendation | Page 2 | FerrariChat

went to see the eye dr. need glasses recommendation

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by thadbrown, Feb 5, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. PeterS

PeterS Four Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 24, 2003
    Goodyear, AZ
    Full Name:
    PeterS
    I have worn glasses for 22 years. I have bought both expensive and cheap frames. The cheap ones ($50-$75) have outlasted EVERY frame I purchased that cost over $150! The frame industry is an absolute scam for the average 'dumb' consumer that pays retail. Look at the cheap sunglasses off a rack in Walgreen's. The $15 sunglasses have frames that are comp in quality to a $75-$100 pair of Lenscrafters frames! Check it out for yourself!

When buying frames, make sure to beat the hell out of the dealer. A frame that sells for $75 carries a dealer cost of between $15 and $35. You can negotiate well if buying more than one pair. Buy one clear lense and have them tint you a sunglass. Your barganing power just doubled.

Stay away from the mall stores. They have less room to negotiate due to their high overhead. Find a store in a strip mall. If you have a friend that is going to China, have them fill your Rx if possible. I got my last two pairs in Kowloon at $35US!!! (each) with a decent frame.

Most important, get a good exam. I use to go to Lenscrafters for my exams. The typical cost was around $60. When I started to go to a very high-end doctor, the difference in equipment they use for testing is night and day. Pay an extra $50-$75 for an exam in an office that has 10X the $$$ in equipment.