What a difference a tune up makes! | FerrariChat

What a difference a tune up makes!

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by jordan747_400, Nov 18, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jordan747_400

jordan747_400 F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 9, 2002
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Jordan
    I haven't had my car relatively that long and lately its been sputtering around, having trouble starting, and so on...So I figure its about time to do some work to it!

So, 6 spark plugs, a new battery, oil change, new air filter, and new wiring later, my car is awesome! It was never this fast and powerful even when we bought it. Ive had some fun cruising around today! The car accelerates like a 308 it seems. Too bad Mustangs cant corner though :)

I figured the car would drive more smoothly, but never expected this much performance increase.

Just thought I would share! Driving is fun again :)

2. Nibblesworth

Nibblesworth Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 29, 2002
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    BillyBoy
    Correction - too bad 6-cyl mustangs can't corner. ;)

My 99 Cobra cornered fairly well for a 25 year old chassis.

It is amazing what a tune up will do. I was the recipient of a free 1994 Geo Prism with 176,000 miles this summer. It was free because it ran like donkey-balls. I honestly think it was only running on one cylinder. The PO wanted nothing more to do with it. It also ran like it only had one tire, in the middle of the car, when on the freeway. It wobbled and vibrated and pulled to the right and left. A real dog over 60mph.

I took it to Pepboys and got an alignment. Bought four plugs and new wires, and two new tires.

The thing drives straight as an arrow and smooth as can be now, with the new alignment and tires. And while the engine is no race engine, it's got good power, and I get about 34mpg on the freeway.

How's that for an outlay of 180 bux? Not bad....

3. jordan747_400

jordan747_400 F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 9, 2002
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Jordan
    Hah, good point :) I guess the cornering isnt that bad really (when not comparing to a Ferrari). A lot better than my minivan anyway!

4. FerrariFrank1

FerrariFrank1 F1 Rookie

Aug 15, 2003
    Chicago-Phoenix-L.A.
    Full Name:
    Frank
    Did you ever hear of an "Italian tune-up?" Seriously. I heard this a long time ago. (old timers will know what I'm talking about) You just put the car in 1st.,or,"low" if it's an automatic. Take off,go fast,get the R's up,then take your foot off of the gas. And let the engine just slow it down. Like a "Jake Brake" on a Semi. Supposedly,to "blow out" the Carbon on the Spark Plugs and engine. I'm sure that originally it was some kind of a joke or something,but,I heard it many years ago,and always thought it was funny. I have no idea where it came from,or,how it started. Maybe someone older than me will know.

5. JaguarXJ6

JaguarXJ6 F1 Veteran

Feb 12, 2003
    Black Hawk, CO
    Full Name:
    Sunny
    Its no joke. I had to do it on my car because of build-up. Premium fuels and the additive packages at the pump cause more build-up, slight build-up, but more nonetheless. It works better if your using treated fuel to help dissolve these deposits in a couple tanks of gas back to back. I had this problem because I was driving my car too gently the first year. Now? I just wish for a bigger redline. :)

6. jordan747_400

jordan747_400 F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 9, 2002
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Jordan
    So what exactly should I do? Get my car close to redline in 1st and engine brake for a while? My car has a 5,500rpm limiter and I usually shift at 3,000-3,500 rpm for normal driving (4,500 for when im pushing), but I havent redlined my car yet. I dont know how well a Mustang can handle driving like that. Anyone with Mustang experience know? I dont want to do an "italian tune up" if my detroit iron cant take it lol.

7. Amir

Amir Formula Junior

Feb 15, 2003
    TX
    You do it to blow out coke deposits on your valves. Doesn't sound like you have this problem.

8. jordan747_400

jordan747_400 F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 9, 2002
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Jordan
    What would the symptoms be for having deposits on the valves?

9. FerrariFrank1

FerrariFrank1 F1 Rookie

Aug 15, 2003
    Chicago-Phoenix-L.A.
    Full Name:
    Frank
    If it had"Coke" deposits,it would want to stay out and party all night,and be very "wired".:)))

10. Amir

Amir Formula Junior

Feb 15, 2003
    TX
    Lol! Poor, jerky throttle response due to uneven and restricted air/fuel mixture and possibly also poor exhaust scavenging, although I don't think those valves are usually to blame. If you drive in low gear for a while and notice the car suddenly become more responsive, it's because the valves have cleared up ie. you just completed an Italian tune-up.

Or maybe the cop you were following turned a corner!

11. jordan747_400

jordan747_400 F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 9, 2002
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Jordan
    Yea I have felt that feeling before, but my main reason for bringing it in was because it would stutter every time I try and engage a new gear...regardless of rpm. Even after the car stopped stuttering in gear and I even put a little bit more of pressure on the gas, it would do it again. No longer a problem though :)