News

What aftermarket avail for GranSport?

Discussion in 'MVPEurosports.com' started by rob lay, Oct 18, 2007.

1. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Owner Miami 2018

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    Hey Kevin, interested in what you offer for GranSports. Not that I have one, but thinking about one for next year. Baby needs a back seat. :)

2. RossoCorsaItaly

RossoCorsaItaly F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 9, 2004
    EU
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Rob,

Unfortunately not much, I've owned a couple of Maseratis, but the aftermarket on the cars is very selected.

The most popular modifications are ECU, Intake, and Exhaust. The ECU usually is Eurotek and typically add 15hp and Exhaust is generally Tubi, Mille Miglia, and Kreis-sieg and are more for sound, HP gains are minimal. The intake is a popular modification just because it's a $130 BMC unit and it adds very little horsepower but the sound of the intake is much more noticeable with it on there.

Then you also have aftermarket springs from Formula Dynamics or Leo Nardo to lower the car and improve handling, however if you are just looking to lower the car, you can lower it via the factory skyhook suspension. Wheels are also a popular modification as always :)

Wish I had a longer list, but that's really as far as it goes.

Regards,

Kevin

3. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    Thanks Kev, will keep that in mind. Which exhaust do you think sounds best? I like a low rumble at low rpm and then sound like F1 at high rpm. That isn't asking much is it? :)

4. RossoCorsaItaly

Rossa Subscribed

Jun 9, 2004
    EU
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    I highly recommend listening to the OEM exhaust, it is made by Tubi and most people are content with it as is, it's got a really nice rumble down low, it's not an F1 sound at high RPM's like an F355, but it does have a very nice tone to it.

5. dm_n_stuff

dm_n_stuff Global Moderator
    Global Moderator Owner Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    The Sunshine State
    Full Name:
    Dave
  6. maranello71

maranello71 Formula 3

Jan 23, 2004
    Chicagoland
    Full Name:
    Andre
    To Kevin:

It's very likely that I'll move to the USA early next year. I am planning to buy a Gransport (baby needs a seat... :) ) but I'd like it to be faster and meaner than stock. I've been mightily impressed by the new BMW M3's performance (1/4 mile in the mid-12s, 0-100 in less than 10s), a car that has only little more power than the GS and weighs about the same. My goal would be to extract as much HP from the GS as possible, to make it a match for the new M3. The Gransport looks so much nicer than the BMW, it just needs some "help" to become faster.

So, what can you (or other tuners) offer, and at what price? What's the MAX HP I can reliably get out of that engine?

Thanks
    Andrea

7. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    We're in the same boat, need a baby hauler, but something that hauls ass too! :) Sorry I'm too lazy to look myself, but you seem to be up on the new M3. What will the full price be? Will it be a 6 or 8? When will it be avail? I had a E36 for 120k miles and wife and I just loved it.

What will depreciate more? I think the GS has M3 beat there. Also more unique and rare. They will let you into Ferrari events too. :)

8. maranello71

maranello71 Formula 3

Jan 23, 2004
    Chicagoland
    Full Name:
    Andre
    Hi Rob,

I have seen (but not yet driven - that will come soon) the new M3. It's mighty impressive. The engine is only a 4-litre V8 but it is positively ferocious. It has almost no inertia, you touch the throttle and it bangs to 8300 rpm instantly. The test figures suggest that a 575 Maranello would have a hard time shaking a hard-driven M3 off. However, it also seems that the M3 engine is very peaky, it needs revs to deliver while a Ferrari V12 has much more punch down below. Catch an M3 off guard, and you'll blow it into the weeds with any Ferrari V12. I'm not sure a 360 Modena could do it, though... :(

The Maser GS has slightly less power but the same weight as the new M3. I think the monster acceleration figures of the M3 are due to faster gearchanges and to the higher redline. I also think that a GS tuned to 420-430 HP with the redline pushed up to 7500/7700 rpm should (and I quote "should") be as fast as an M3, at least in-gear (the Cambiocorsa cannot be made any faster, I guess).

In Europe you can get a kit from Modena Tec that costs about $8000, and delivers 432 HP. That should be enough, but can I get it in the States? MVP?

9. RossoCorsaItaly

Rossa Subscribed

Jun 9, 2004
    EU
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Andrea,

It depends on if you want to resort to forced induction or not, the aftermarket is really limited to German Tuners such as Leo Nardo or Modena Tec, both of which we can get. It's hard to say what the "max hp" you can get out of that engine reliably is because nobody has really gotten serious and done much on the Gransport.

I think there is quite a bit of potential in a header back exhaust sytem as the factory system is poorly designed and very restrictive.

The car stock dynos about 320-330 horsepower at the rear wheels depending on the brand of dyno you use, with proper bolt-on modifications I think 360rwhp is reasonable, which would be 450-460bhp.

Regards,

Kevin

10. maranello71

maranello71 Formula 3

Jan 23, 2004
    Chicagoland
    Full Name:
    Andre
    Hi Kevin,

thanks for the info! I am going to get "serious" with the Gransport. I know it has a huge potential and it remains (until now) the fastest and best handling road-going Maserati ever (except for the MC12). I think it deserves to unleash its potential, and 460+ HP would be perfect to keep up with most similar 4-seater supercars (Porsche 996TT, BMW M3 V8).

Question time:

1) I will be based in Illinois (Chicago) - where do you recommend I get the upgrade work done?

2) I think the weakest link is the gearbox - do you think it could compromise its reliability to run with 460 HP?

I will need you advice on the best mix of solutions (Modena Tec + further improvements to the header back exhaust system), but I wouldn't want to invest too much money - it must still make economic sense considering the value of the car itself.

Andrea

11. RossoCorsaItaly

Rossa Subscribed

Jun 9, 2004
    EU
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Andrea,

1. I'd recommend getting it shipped. The only two places in the U.S. I would recommend to do it is either Formula Dynamics in Nevada or us in Texas.

2. No sir, it's the 360 gearbox and the Novitec Rosso 360's have proven to hold over 600hp, 460bhp would be fine.

It's hard to say, we are a Modena-Tec dealer but don't sell much of their product and the header back exhaust system would be custom. If we were to do the job, we would rather do a one off custom set-up. We could set everything up to specifically meet your goals.

In terms of cost, the biggest thing is the exhaust manifolds, not only would fabrication be expensive $3,000 ( give or take a few hundred) however with the way it is set-up I do not think that we can properly design and install them without pulling the engine out and relocating some things to allow for proper fitment. This is the issue that made me scrap the MVP500 ( A 500hp Maserati without getting into internals) idea, selling a kit that forced customers to pull their engine out is not very reasonable.

This is just a rough quote and it really is hard to say but you'd be looking at the neighborhood of $9,000 + labor ( EST $2,000) without the exhaust manifolds and $12,000 + labor (EST $4,500). My quotes may be off by $1,000 either way but I am trying to give you a rough idea before you decide whether it is something you want to do.

Regards,

Kevin

12. absent

absent F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Nov 2, 2003
    illinois
    Full Name:
    mark k.
    I'm also in Chicago and thinking about getting Qp GT-S as daily driver.
    So,if I ship it to you ,you could get it to upper 300hp at the wheels for less then $20k total?

13. RossoCorsaItaly

Rossa Subscribed

Jun 9, 2004
    EU
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    I'd rather promise a set amount of horsepower gained, each dyno reads differently. You can throw a stock QP on one dyno and get 310whp and then take it to a different brand dyno and get 330whp.

With the above package, I would be promising a 40whp improvement.

Regards,

Kevin