What are 550s going for | FerrariChat

What are 550s going for

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by Fcarhappy, Jan 28, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Fcarhappy

Fcarhappy Karting

Dec 19, 2012
    It's been a while since I've been on the forum so my apologies in advance if this is already a "beaten to death" question. Last I looked prices were cooling. But even in the cooling the prices seemed higher than what I paid in 2008. I'll always remember that when I bought mine there were some "experts" claiming the 550 would never appreciate (too many made, etc.,etc). Sure glad I listened to my mechanic advisor who told me "...you should get a 550, they're the reincarnation of the 275 GTB, and they've got a stick...".

2. Graz

Graz Formula 3

Oct 15, 2012
    New Jersey and Florida
    Full Name:
    Graziano
    I think your mechanic was right on point when referring to the 550. I remember watching a show centered on the 275GTB and dreaming of such a car. I bought my 550 shortly after the show to experience an “attainable” 48 valve V12 4 Cam. I love the Ferrari 550 as it does in my opinion represent the essence of the Brand. I was asking a true Ferrari expert what model he thought would be the next diamond in the rough if you will. Without hesitation he said “the 550”. Time will tell but either way it’s a great car that delivers every time I get behind the wheel.

3. JohnnyRay

JohnnyRay F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 2, 2014
    Central FL/NW WI
    Yep! Mine's a sweetie. I do still have a hankerin' for a 275 GTB though... :)

4. JayEff

JayEff Karting

Aug 8, 2017
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    John
    Driving the 4 cam was a lot different than a modern car. It was loud and hot inside, and it took a lot physically to even shift it. It was a trip though. I didn't own one but I did get to drive it a few times.

5. mello

mello F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 12, 2013
    CA Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Steve
    So, going back to the OP's question, how much are they worth now?

6. Bluebottle

Bluebottle F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 15, 2012
    Newbury, Berkshire, England
    Full Name:
    John
    Far more than mere money!

OK seriously. So much of course depends on mileage, condition, history etc., but to generalise, which I think is what the OP is after, here in the UK, about 18 months ago mine was worth around three times what I paid in 2012 and is now worth maybe two and a half times what it cost me.

F456M likes this.
  7. temp_AkU6xLxC

temp_AkU6xLxC Rookie

Aug 28, 2017
    The car is a true great one. Only to appreciate more and more. It’s a delight to drive. Looks stunning and has all the makings to be the great one. I own one with 6500 miles and all points lead to heavy appreciation. Try to find a 6500 mile one. You can’t even put a. Price on her

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

F456M likes this.
  8. henryr

henryr Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L
  9. henryr

Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L
  10. F355 Fan 82

F355 Fan 82 F1 Veteran

Jul 22, 2006
    henry can you link those 3 maranellos? I just looked and couldn't find them? It says you're in atlanta but i hope those are priced in british pounds lol

11. henryr

Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L
    i have an autotrader alert for the v12 cars

someone for some reason has been posting cars with crazy prices

so i get an alert in the am with that pic

12. JayEff

JayEff Karting

Aug 8, 2017
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    John
    It would be interesting to find out if those are real prices.

13. wbklink

wbklink F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 2, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Bill Karp

Bluebottle likes this.
  14. F456M

F456M F1 Rookie

Jan 8, 2010
    Oslo
    Full Name:
    Erik
    The 550 Maranello is perfect in every way.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

Bluebottle likes this.
  15. wbklink

wbklink F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 2, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Bill Karp
    Bluebottle likes this.
  16. F456M

F456M F1 Rookie

Jan 8, 2010
    Oslo
    Full Name:
    Erik
  17. Julia

Julia F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 22, 2014
    Houston
    I'm pretty sure those aren't even real cars. :D

18. flat_plane_eddie

flat_plane_eddie F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 30, 2013
    NE FL
    Full Name:
    Eddie
    In 2014 I told myself I want to buy a Ferrari. I narrowed it down to a 550 or 360. Back then the 550s were 80-100k but I decided that I want to do the sensible thing and buy an investment property instead. The following year they were 150k...that's my biggest car regret ever lol. Should have bought one then. From what I'm seeing, they're in the low 100k range nowadays but not sure what they're actually selling for.

AutoTrader has been spammed lately by a lot of fake ads with really low prices. They usually appear under the same dealer name, who's name escapes me now, but it's annoying because literally every car I follow has them popping up.

19. Bluebottle

Bluebottle F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 15, 2012
    Newbury, Berkshire, England
    Full Name:
    John
    Now you have your second chance - don't make the same mistake twice!

flat_plane_eddie likes this.
  20. flat_plane_eddie

Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 30, 2013
    NE FL
    Full Name:
    Eddie
    I'm waiting to see which way the market goes. Hope I don't catch flak for this but I think they're still headed downwards for at least the next year.

21. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    One more year where you do not have a Maranello.

F456M, RKZ841, Themaven and 3 others like this.
  22. JayEff

JayEff Karting

Aug 8, 2017
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    John
    I agree they are headed down, but for my part, i'm not in the market for an investment. If the prices go up, that's nice, but not why I bought the car. Having said all that, I think all the prices are going to fall over the next few years, not just this year. I think there are fewer collectors buying and more collectors/ enthusiasts who are getting older and selling off part or all. The economy has been good the last few years and it is bound to turn down pretty soon. I think once that happens, prices will take an additional hit.

I'm buying with the idea that this is a car to drive and enjoy, and I'm not worrying about the price trends once I own it. You can drive yourself crazy doing that. But you have to wonder about sanity sometimes. I mean 599's selling for less than 550's? 456's selling for more than 612's, or California's.? It's a free for all.

23. F355 Fan 82

F355 Fan 82 F1 Veteran

Jul 22, 2006
    #23 F355 Fan 82, Jan 31, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 31, 2018
    As a trader for a living I have to disagree. People have been calling for a stock market correction for how long now? Most people think stocks rose "too much" thus a crash is coming. The reality is the only thing that indicates whether we are over/under valued is the yield of market vs the yield of the 30 year bond mainly. Take any equity, the real yield of it is basically a reverse PE ratio thus a company with a pe of 10 is yielding 10%. Throughout history this symbiotic relationship is typically based off the 30 year bond, make sense? Based off historical context, with the 30 year at 2.96% as I type this , the market should always be paying out more, why you ask? Because the market involves alot of risk and bonds do not so if a 30 year bond today yields 2.96% then stocks need to pay us more. With where the 30 year bond is today, the market should probably trade around 25x earnings and we'd still be fairly valued, so stocks are actually still relatively cheap in this particular environment. The US is not raising rates, we've been saying we will forever and have not bc 1) it would kill housing and 2) strong dollar would wreck foreign investment. I live in miami and last 3 years real estate has been dead bc of the strong dollar, its just heating up bc the euro gained 20% on us.

All Im saying is dont buy/sell cars based on what you think the stock market will or wont do, people have been bearish on our stock market for a long time and it hasn't worked out bc people aren't grasping that with rates here, all assets are going to rise, Ferraris too. Have values gotten ahead of themselves? Maybe, buying a classic ferrari is still a way better investment either way you spin it than buying any new car. I tend to agree that older cars will lose value as older people cash out/retire but I personally, as a 31 year old Ferrari owner, think that the lower production modern cars: 550/575, 360 stradale, 430 scuderia will all soar as people my age start coming into money and buying their first toys. We want our generations cars, not our parents/grandparents cars. So a tidal wave of demand is coming for modern classics, maybe you time it right and wait a year, maybe you dont. There is no price on the fun these cars give you and that alone is worth whatever you're trying to save by waiting a year to get one. Trust me you'd lose way more on a new car.

I've only owned mine for 3 months and its been in the shop half the time and I miss it dearly, I can't wait to get it back, its more fun than anything I've ever owned. Money truly doesn't matter with these things, we live life one time and fun has no price tag.

24. flat_plane_eddie

Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 30, 2013
    NE FL
    Full Name:
    Eddie
    One of the reasons why I'm waiting is because the price of a 550 is more or less the same as that of a 599. I like the 550 in an old school kind of way but I lust after the 599. I've never driven either so would have to before I made a final decision.

What's also kind of crazy to me is how 612s are priced when compared to FFs.

25. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    It's true but rational thought doesn't apply to the classic car market. The 550 was universally hailed as a huge step over the outdated F512M when it came out - a new car essentially replacing an updated version of a 25 year old Ferrari. (Interestingly, the M posts a faster 0-60 time but that's by the by). Now my M is worth roughly double my 550. Then there's the even more archaic Daytona, or really old, slow 275 GTB4...

It's crazy, but then so are we. Spending millions for two slashes on a canvas? Hundreds of thousands for a watch less accurate than an iPhone? All the same crazy.

The 599 and 550/575 are very different kinds of car...