News

What are most common and worth it Carbon Fiber pieces to install on 458 Spider?

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by CrapsLuckyDice, Mar 16, 2020.

1. CrapsLuckyDice

Apr 28, 2019
    NJ, USA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Looking to make some changes to my car in the future once everything kinda clears up. I'm curious what options are most worth it to upgrade to carbon fiber. I'll list some items I'd like to do:

Exterior
    - Carbon fiber glass engine bonnet (by Capristo)
    - CF diffuser
    - CF front bumper
    - CF side skirts
    - CF rear bumper
    - CF window triangles
    - CF mirror inserts
    - CF fuel door
    - CF door handles
    - CF pillar covers
    - CF badge
    - CF engine bay

Interior
    - CF dashboard
    - CF center console
    - CF door handles
    - CF door sills
    - CF door panels

Everything listed except for Capristo would be ordered through potentially Ricambi.

Just looking for opinion if these are popular options and if Ricambi is good quality for this. Thanks!

2. scott61

scott61 Formula 3

Feb 11, 2004
    North of Boston
    I will be doing a number of the things you have listed and started with a couple quick and easy ones. Extended Carbon Fiber Paddles and Tach cover, both from Ricambi. Quality was top notch and great to deal with.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

3. Ianjoub

Ianjoub Formula Junior

Dec 22, 2019
    Homosassa, FL USA
    Full Name:
    Ian Joubert
    CF wheels!

RayJohns likes this.
  4. s4play

s4play Karting

Oct 25, 2006
    I have all the factory carbon already for my Spider, only looking for a rear CF lip wing that doesn't require drilling.

thanks

ShadowLAP likes this.
  5. DoubleD33

DoubleD33 Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

May 2, 2012
    Pasadena, CA
    Full Name:
    Dan D
    No affiliation but there is a CF Capristo lid in the classifieds.

fuel door and door handle need to be on the right color car to look good.

I have a lot of factory carbon. I would like the triangles and possibly the door sill plates along with the instrument cluster part that becomes sticky.

6. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed Owner

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray Johns
    I'll second carbon fiber rims. That's going to give you the biggest performance bang for your buck.

On the front and rear bumpers, if you mean full carbon / kevlar racing bumpers (which replace the OEM heavy bumpers), those are nice. I bought a set of kevlar bumpers from Italy for my 355 and they were shockingly light (something crazy like 7-8 lbs vs. 30 or 40 lbs for the factory parts). However, keep in mind, those are not so much bolt-on as "fabricate on" parts usually. You definitely can save a lot of weight (and where it really matters) with composite bumpers though.

As far as a lot of glossy CF dress up parts all over the car, "just because you can", I'm personally not a big fan of that. Maybe one or two tasteful matte finish CF accent pieces here or there are nice, but these cars where someone just goes absolutely nuts with CF on every possible surface... those usually look pretty whack if you ask me.

I understand everyone has their preferences, however.

Ray

7. Twosherpaz

Twosherpaz Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 25, 2014
    Full Name:
    Private
    Worth it?

The value equation for carbon fiber additions is moot. There is none. If you want it, get it, but you will not recover that sunken cost. It is very similar to modifying a Nissan GTR: you will be fortunate to get 50% back on the money you spent.

I often joke that I carry around about fifty thousand dollars of carbon fiber between my chest and my belt line if what I am truly looking for is weight savings.

Do I put carbon in cars? Oh my goodness yes! I cannot stand the look of that shiny aluminum in some of my Ferraris. But value? No.

AlfistaPortoghese and Ash Patel like this.
  8. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed Owner

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray Johns
    Funny... but also very true.

When I started riding motorcycles (about 10 years ago), I weighed in at right around 180 lbs. I quickly realized that the area where I could best improve the power to weight ratio of the motorcycle was sitting right on top of the seat :)

I changed my diet, eliminated all products in the house with MSG, Aspartame and/or HFCS and started eating nothing but the best organic foods I could find and drinking lots of very pure water; 18 months later, without hitting the gym even one time, I was down from 180 lbs to a lean riding weight of 150 lbs. Shaving 30 lbs off a motorcycle would have cost a fortune.

In addition to losing weight myself, I think I did end up removing maybe 15 or 16 lbs off my bike also. However, that took a lot of expensive upgrades and modifications to drop that sort of weight off of an already light weight sports bike. I'm sure I had over $1000 just in Titanium nuts and bolts, not to mention a lithium ion battery, a full titanium exhaust and also carbon fiber wheels.

Ray

IloveGT, Melvok and MalibuGuy like this.
  9. MalibuGuy

MalibuGuy F1 Rookie

Sep 18, 2007
    Malibu, CA
    #9 MalibuGuy, Mar 25, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2020
    I think it will cost around $1,000 per pound in regards to aftermarket weight loss since the 458 has been engineered with weight as a top priority throughout its lineage.

Having said that, the price of a high quality Li Ion battery is the best bang for your buck since you will shed 29 pounds!
    But carbon fiber bumpers can produce significant weight savings. I imagine they are pretty expensive for the 458 since the front bumper is a much larger and has a more complex shape than the 355.

As we speak, I’m changing the front winglets to CF and also swapping CF for the rear fog light surrounds, as well as swapping to the CF central trim on the rear bumper. (Someone backed up into my car and cracked my bumper in a parking lot.)

SVCalifornia likes this.
  10. RaceMX-M3

RaceMX-M3 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed Owner

Dec 15, 2010
    Frisco, TX
    Full Name:
    Scott Wheeler
    Pretty sure my car has every factory CF option available. Love the appearance. Not concerned with saving weight but will take it. Personally would pass on items like door handles and fuel cover but get what you like, your car. Enjoy.

11. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed Owner

Jul 25, 2008
    Amersfoort, Holland.
    Full Name:
    Mel

Exactly … do not waste $$$ on CF optical parts ...

12. Ianjoub

Ianjoub Formula Junior

Dec 22, 2019
    Homosassa, FL USA
    Full Name:
    Ian Joubert
    Unsprung weight is the killer. Losing weight above the springs effectively increases horsepower, but losing unsprung weight is what ultimately makes you faster.

13. Jason B

Jason B Karting

Apr 7, 2006
    Hbg, PA
    Switching to the Speciale forged wheels definitely would make a difference. I forget how much lighter they are, but also it’s the reason they are $8k+