what are normal oil pressure/temp readings for '79 308 GTS | FerrariChat

what are normal oil pressure/temp readings for '79 308 GTS

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by groovzilla, Feb 10, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. groovzilla

groovzilla Karting

Nov 28, 2003
    seattle, wa.
    Full Name:
    william
    hello all,

have had the oppurtunity to take advantage of the great sunny days here in the northwest...been driving alot and finally settling into the car...

...could anyone please give me the normal oil pressure and **water tempurature readings on my car...'79 308GTS 49,000 miles...

**water temp for city driving / highway driving please...

thanks...

william ceriale

2. 4re gt4

4re gt4 Formula 3

Apr 23, 2002
    Roseburg, OR
    Full Name:
    Hans E. Hansen
    Where are you at in the "Great NW"? I'm in Oregon.

One BIG problem with 'typical' pressure and temp values in these older cars is a total lack of consistency and reliability in the sender units. Oil pressure should roughly be in the center of the gauge while running, but can be near minimum at idle with very hot oil. Water temp can take *forever* to warm sufficiently in cold air. Oil temp can possibly never move in cold weather. Unfortunately.

But all of this is moot if you're senders are off. And, they most likely are on an older car. So, if you are seeing something different than the comments above, don't panic just yet. It's more than likely a simple fix, as opposed to major engine probs. Serious engine probs in the early V8 cars are relatively rare.

3. jbrosseau

jbrosseau Karting

Nov 26, 2003
    kirkland,wa
    Full Name:
    joe brosseau
    on my 79' GTS "WHEN" the temps finally rise it will read about 85lbs oil pressure at speed and near the bottom end at idle. and on hot days it never runs hotter than 190-200.

4. ferrarifixer

ferrarifixer F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Jul 22, 2003
    Melbourne
    Full Name:
    Phil Hughes
    if your water takes 'forever' to warm, your thermostat is stuck open, or missing, regardless of ambient temp.

5. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    William, there are many threads on this subject in the old site archives...

Dave

6. Mike328

Mike328 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 19, 2002
    Boulder, CO
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Agreed. Water temp comes up much more quickly than oil temp, and is much more independent, at least in the initial phases (up to 170 degrees, say), of the outside ambient temperature than oil. This has to do with the cold air always hitting the oil intercooler, while the coolant system has thermostats to control the radiator / cooling fans.

--Mike

7. 4re gt4

4re gt4 Formula 3

Apr 23, 2002
    Roseburg, OR
    Full Name:
    Hans E. Hansen
    Believe me, I've cast a wary glance or two at my thermostat. But, in hot weather, the temp rises up to, and then stops, right at 90degC. And, no, this isn't because of the rad fans, as mine are manually controlled.

8. Dom

Dom F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 5, 2002
    Like Hans, my guages when warm are pointing right about the middle (pressure varies whether I'm at idle or not- at idle it is pretty low).

However, my water temp comes up pretty quickly. Oil temp takes a loooong time. But it does get there eventually.

I was caught in pretty heavy LA traffic a few times last summer, and had no problems with coolant or oil temps.

My system is stock.

Dom

9. enjoythemusic

enjoythemusic F1 World Champ

Apr 20, 2002
    Worldwide
    Full Name:
    Steven
    After warm up (usual LONG time for oil), all gauges in the middle during basic use. During quicker sprints it can very as the airflow and air temp helps to lower things to some extent. If lots of stop and go traffic during summer heat, water temp tends to rise over center faster than the oil does, yet still within a quite good range and my water cooling fans do work automatically.

All in all i'd say she is running perrrrrrrrrfect :)

Enjoy the Drive,

Steven R. Rochlin

10. arildo

arildo Rookie

Nov 1, 2013
    Hi!
    I'm a lucky owner of a 308 GTS! I have overhault the engine by my self (well, almost - got help putting in new sylinder liners and pistons -ballansing etc).
    I have run this engine in with "Purple" oil. The engine got perfect ignission thanks to the American Electromotive ignition....
    My Engine runs a bit hot, I think. According to the gauge (which is from the notorious Magneti Marelli). Water is about 190F (88C), but the oil raise up to 210F(100C). I havent seen it passes 210F, but is this normal?
    When I open the "hood" is like a bake oven! I do not dare touch it!

11. GordonC

GordonC F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 28, 2005
    Calgary, AB, Canada
    Full Name:
    Gordon
    190F for water temp is perfect, up to 220 is OK.

210F for oil temp is also perfect, up to 240 is fine, 260 if running synthetic. You actually WANT your oil temp to be in the 210-220 range, so that it is boiling off any water condensation in the oil. That's the ideal operating temperature.