What are symptoms of head gasket problem on 308 ? | FerrariChat

What are symptoms of head gasket problem on 308 ?

Discussion in '308/328' started by 63acornwall, Nov 19, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 63acornwall

63acornwall Rookie

Sep 8, 2015
    I am used to air cooled cars , so a Ferrari 308 is unexplored territory on a mechanical basis.
    I own a 1980 carburettor 308GTS , mileage 58000 and full maintenance history . Car was serviced 5 months ago and carbs were retuned and have done 500 miles since then. Tried to start it after a few weeks doing nothing . Did not sound right , some banging from exhaust ,did not want to idle from cold plenty of white steam in exhaust ( got 4 outlet system).I kept the engine running by pumping the accelerator to keep revs up if they died away . Seemed to settle down , not so noisy from exhaust but bit of misfire . Went for drive to warm everything up , about 10 miles and 20 minutes run, then parked up . Exhaust was not steaming before switching off .Came back after 5 minutes to find coolant under the reservoir tank , pressure cap must have lifted while sat there hot.
    Checked level in coolant reservoir tank , was down ( no surprise after seeing coolant on floor) added a pint to bring back to level . Checked oil , clean and yellow , no signs of water on dipstick. Checked oil filler cap on cam header , clean with thin clear oil coating.

Will check the 4 spark plugs I can see , the hidden ones look a bit difficult . What should I be looking for and what tests should I be doing . I think something up because the engine does not sound like it used to !
    It is cold weather here so would expect some steam from exhaust while warming up

2. JV's89

JV's89 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 18, 2006
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    John
    Block test kit.

3. 308 milano

308 milano F1 Veteran

Jan 15, 2007
    Montana
    Full Name:
    Kim
    Banging could simply be AC / alternator belts slapping from Setting for a period of time. My QV does this occasionally after not being started for a while. You will also get what looks like steam out of the exhaust while it warms up to temp.

4. 308 milano

308 milano F1 Veteran

Jan 15, 2007
    Montana
    Full Name:
    Kim
    One other thing . The 4 front plugs are not hard to access at all. Just use the correct socket a 1/2" swivel and the 3" extension. Can reach them really easy from each side by the fuel tanks.

5. thorn

thorn F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2012
    Tallahassee, FL
    I take the targa off, stand behind the seats inside the cockpit, lean over the back window, and wrench in that gap of the open deck.

6. tuttebenne

tuttebenne F1 Rookie

Mar 26, 2003
    Bay Shore, NY
    Full Name:
    Andy
    Thinking about the water out of the reservoir, its totally normal for an overfilled reservoir to pump out coolant on the cool down. In my carb 308 "Full" is three to four inches below the neck of the tank. I'm not saying this was your problem; just that I believe its not one of the symptoms to be concerned with yet.

7. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    I actually take the deck lid off if it gets in the way. It takes 10 minutes to do with a helper and it so much easier after that.

8. Russ Gould

Russ Gould Formula 3

Nov 8, 2004
    A compression test will tell you if the gasket is blown. You will see two adjacent cylinders (or one of the end cyls) dramatically lower than the rest.

Oil in the water and vice versa.

Engine overheating (hot exhaust gas getting into coolant).

Steaming exhaust (one side only).

The banging noise may be related to the cold start circuit, if it's not working right you may get a motor vibration that will cause anything loose to sound like there is a little Italian back there banging away with a hammer. Disable that and see it if goes away. The A/C belt is more of a snapping sound. If the belt covers are loose they can make a rattling sound.

It's probably not a blown head gasket. But this is the problem with Ferrari ownership ... one always fears the worst and then you are reluctant to drive the car for fear that something mechanical will break and there goes your college fund.

9. Kidasters

Kidasters Formula Junior

Oct 4, 2013
    Houston, Tx
    Full Name:
    Ken
    Use the factory tool for the "front" plugs. It's the best tool for that job. I've tried other things - magnetic sockets and such, and nothing works as well as the factory tool with knuckle.

308 milano likes this.