What are the odds ??? | FerrariChat

What are the odds ???

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by LVP488, Sep 20, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    This week-end the auxiliary part belts on my 550 gave up.
    First symptom was the loss of power steering, then beginning of overheating and loss of generator.
    So most probably the belt for the power steering and water pump broke, then almost immediately destroyed the other belt (generator and AC).
    Needless to say, I immediately stopped the car in the hope of avoiding further damage.
    Fortunately it was at an event organised by the french FOC, and we had a very efficient support team (provided by a Ferrari dealer) who was able to remove the shredded belts and replace them with new ones on the side of the road.
    Now the question is, how could this happen?
    Allegedly the car had the cambelts replaced about one year ago, just before I bought it - so the auxiliary belts should have been replaced at the same time.

2. Ferrari55whoa

Ferrari55whoa F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 21, 2005
    Los Gatos, CA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    I’m interested in hearing what the smart guys say…..my knucklehead guess is the belt was installed in an “overtightened” position.

root likes this.
  3. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    Check idler pulley and tensioner

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk

4. root

root Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 28, 2012
    Bay Area, Ca
    I'm a firm believer in Ockham's (Occam's) Razor and therefore, I'm with Eric on this one.

Ferrari55whoa likes this.
  5. Laserguru

Laserguru Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2016
    New Hampshire
    Full Name:
    Eric
    And perhaps the operative phrase is "should have been replaced at the same time". Should rather than were

root and Ferrari55whoa like this.
  6. franschman

franschman Formula Junior

Dec 18, 2017
    Holland
    Full Name:
    Bart
    I had the same happen on my Lancia Kappa coupé last weekend. Turned out to be caused by a broken ball in the tensioner bearing, which caused the tensioner to stop abruptly and break the belt.
    It's a good thing the belt breaks, as that prevents further damage to the other components/bearings due to overload.

7. Laserguru

Laserguru Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2016
    New Hampshire
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Belts serving as fuses. Useful!!

F456M likes this.
  8. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Just like the valve stems act as fuses when a cambelt breaks.

9. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    My car will be "investigated" ten days from now - the records of the dealer that sold me the car say they actually replaced the belts.
    A possibility is the seizing up of the AC compressor rotor, although it was apparently rotating freely (I did not dare to put the AC back in operation though).
    I will report back...

10. maranello72

maranello72 Formula Junior

Jul 4, 2009
    Munich, Germany
    Full Name:
    Stefano
    Same thing happened to my 550, the alternator's tensioner seized and broke the belt. That tensioner is close to the bottom of the car and more exposed to the elements than the other tensioners! The other belt was unaffected though.

Stefano

11. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    Investigations have been inconclusive :(
    There is the possibility some external element (small gravel or whatever) came in and damaged a belt; this was already mentioned by the Ferrari staff who made the repair, but although possible it is considered rather unlikely.

12. F456M

F456M F1 Rookie

Jan 8, 2010
    Oslo
    Full Name:
    Erik
    Haha love it!