What are TRs REALLY selling for? | Page 4 | FerrariChat

What are TRs REALLY selling for?

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by PGrenier, Aug 21, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Parnelli

Parnelli Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 30, 2013
    Milwaukee, WI
    Full Name:
    Greg P
    by the way BLK, where do u live? I thought about that picture of your beautiful white TR parked in front of The Beverly Hills Hotel as I was driving by it last Friday

2. blkdiablo33

blkdiablo33 F1 Rookie

Jul 12, 2004
    thank you

3. blkdiablo33

blkdiablo33 F1 Rookie

Jul 12, 2004
    i live in los angeles area about 15/20 mins from bh hotel love going there

4. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    1+

but what please is ROI?

5. Parnelli

Parnelli Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 30, 2013
    Milwaukee, WI
    Full Name:
    Greg P
    ROI = Return on Investment

Natkingcolebasket69 likes this.
  6. MS250

MS250 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Full Name:
    Avvocato
    Return on investment ( ROI) ...meaning the money he is spending on the car is giving him a great return in happiness.

blkdiablo33 likes this.
  7. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    thank you for explaining
    those short cuts are for non US or every day english speeking people very unusual

8. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    Greg, don’t worry about the ornery opinions here. That’s the nature of this forum, for better or worse, and it’s only one random guy opining at any time. ‘Hard to drive’ is so relative..

I currently own a F512M, a 550 and a manual 575 (three successor V12 Ferraris) and a couple of manual 430s. I’m also lucky enough to have driven predecessors like the 275 GTB/4 and Daytona, and reviewed the successors, 599, 599 HGTE, and F12, at launch.

The F512M is at the high end of the concentration required spectrum. No PAS, wide mid engined 12, low rear three quarter visibility...but when you’re in the mood, it’s one of the most thrilling cars ever, partly due to the satisfaction gleaned by mastering it.

So it’s subjective. My mother would be able to drive an F12, but not a Testa. A Diabolo owner would find the M a cinch.

Natkingcolebasket69 and Melvok like this.
  9. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Amersfoort, The Netherlands, Europe.
    Full Name:
    Mel
    It is indeed very subjective Darius !

10. stardoc

stardoc Formula Junior

May 5, 2005
    The big oven
    Full Name:
    K RA
    I've never had issues with the TR clutch being too difficult to operate. It's actually relatively forgiving compared to some cars I've driven which jerk your head back when you engage or some American 80s cars which require a lead left leg to operate.

11. Parnelli

Parnelli Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 30, 2013
    Milwaukee, WI
    Full Name:
    Greg P
    The Maven-

Thanks for the comments. I am very envious of the cars that you have and have driven!! Wow!!

StarDoc-

Good to hear about the clutch. I know you've had some phenomenal sports cars over the years so a great point for comparison purposes

12. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    Greg - being in the media has its upsides. Increasingly few, these days..look forward to hearing what you decide on.

355 is another manual mid engined fast and fun Ferrari that feels analogue, probably more practical than a Testa..but not as many cylinders of course.

13. JB833

JB833 Karting

Jan 3, 2015
    London
    Greg, I bought a 1990 TR a month ago and was nervous about getting on with the car, I only had a short test drive. I can tell you that it is a lot easier to drive than you might think. My car has a 512 clutch fitted and this may make a difference but the clutch, gear change, pedal feel and steering are all fantastic! not heavy at all and I live in London. So far I have done over 1ooo miles in the car and been in my share of heavy stop / start traffic. No problem at all, no tired legs, no tired arms!
    It really is a fantastic car, an iconic car that is lovely to be in. Best of luck!

blkdiablo33 likes this.
  14. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

15. msdesignltd

msdesignltd F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2003
    NYC. / E. Hampton
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Just My Opinion..

When referring to a testarossa..thats 84 through 91..
    in respect to pininfarina...I would use lower case tr, or testarossa.
    When referring to a 92,93 or 94..I would use upper case TR as in 512 TR
    I do not think Ferrari ever used upper case on the testarossa , anywhere.
    Ferrari made a clear designation that the newest of the bunch was the 512TR..
    To emphasize this point the nomenclature "testarossa " was removed from the 512 after 92'.

MS250 likes this.
  16. raysur

raysur Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 3, 2008
    So. Cal.
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    #91 raysur, Oct 17, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2017
    They lost the exterior badge but both 512TR and M said "testarossa" on the intake manifolds.

Though from what I remember, the font was different.

17. Parnelli

Parnelli Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 30, 2013
    Milwaukee, WI
    Full Name:
    Greg P

I won't tell if you don't tell :)

18. stardoc

stardoc Formula Junior

May 5, 2005
    The big oven
    Full Name:
    K RA
    1986 Testarossa just went for $88k at Las Vegas Barrett -Jackson. It had around 37,000 miles with quite a few modified parts including the addition of a passenger flying mirror and interior changes. I don't believe an engine out service was performed.

19. ridege55

ridege55 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 9, 2017
    Manhattan Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    John
    That was me who purchased it. It was $88k with buyers premium. Car comes with all tools and jack kit. Tons of maintenance records and a nice write up from previous owner. Getting car shipped and taking it to Fast Cars to have it checked out. I have an F430 but know little about the TR. Looking forward to learning more about the TR.

20. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    that was cheap, only about 74.000 €
    the just now cheapest single mirror in germany is offered in mobile.de for about 147.500 €, so about doubble

21. Natkingcolebasket69

Well its cheap but if it has a lot of modified parts ; an added mirror etc it certainly devalues it from a collector standpoint

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

22. ridege55

ridege55 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 9, 2017
    Manhattan Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    John
    That was definitely a concern I had. Has carbon fiber trim though out, new stereo with speakers/subwoofer added, different wheels and steering wheel. Also fender shields. I don't think I will take it back to original, just looking to drive it and enjoy. It does need engine out service so hopefully I got it cheap enough. I had factored some of that into my bid.

23. Natkingcolebasket69

It is still a great deal!
    Even if you service it for 5-10k.
    The upgrades well i got my own opinion about it: i have seen a tr with carbon fiber 16m brakes, 16m black wheels, upgraded seatbelt and seats... the purist would hate it but buuuut it looked good and performed well!!!
    Best is to keep the original parts and voila!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

24. Max4HD

Max4HD Formula 3

Jun 20, 2006
    Florida
    Ridge55, Congradulations!

I agree with the above, even w/$5K to $10K more out of pocket, your car was well bought.

As long as it's not on a salvage title, I think you did well.

If your a speculator, simply ship it to Europe, sell it for a 25% + profit, take a great vacation & come home with money in your pocket.

Returning it to OEM will be a long & costly endeavor.

However, you sound like someone who will drive & enjoy it. I

Drive in good health!

Cheers, DJ

25. ridege55

ridege55 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 9, 2017
    Manhattan Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    John
    Thanks Guys!! I just flew back from Vegas, took a slight beating from my wife, and now trying to prioritize my projects between the F430 and TR. The TR needs a good look through, and I have been reading through the TR forum to see what to look for. The car seems to be in good condition, but we will see. I will share pictures once it arrives next Monday. Sadly I have not driven a TR before, so looking forward to the maiden voyage. It also has a Tubi muffler, so anxious to hear what is sounds like.