What are your favorite tracks? | FerrariChat

What are your favorite tracks?

Discussion in 'Tracking & Driver Education' started by Ky1e, Feb 5, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Ky1e

Ky1e Formula 3

Mar 4, 2011
    FL
    I have only gone to Sebring, Homestead, and Palm Beach Int'l Raceway (PBIR). Out of the 3 to me Sebring is by far my favorite. It is a lot more extreme, lots of variety and drivers of different skill levels really stand out.

Based on what I've heard, for me locally Daytona looks like a worthwhile visit. Other tracks I'd like to try are COTA and maybe Road Atlanta.

What's your favorite and why?

2. hezgon

hezgon Formula Junior

Dec 13, 2006
    Ft Pierce, FL
    Full Name:
    Stan
    So far VIR, fast straights, tight up and down hill turns. Should be there 2 - 3 time this year. Atlanta, going under the bridge, line it up to get it right. Daytona was a blast to get out on the high banks.

3. mswncity

mswncity Karting

Feb 10, 2012
    Hailey, ID
    Thunder Hill 3 mile configuration. Great track, good flow, reasonably safe. A little bit of a drive but worth the extra effort.

MW

4. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    Road Atlanta- hilly, fast and scary.

VIR- not quite as hilly as RA, but a great flow/rhythm and fast. scenic.

Willow Springs- fast and scary. "old school", or a dump, depending on your perspective (or how your day is going)

5. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
    Don't forget about Road America....Considered by many pro drivers to be the best track in the USA.

SCKOMS likes this.
  6. SAFE4NOW

SAFE4NOW F1 Veteran
    Sponsor Owner

Aug 25, 2004
    Dallas Texas
    Full Name:
    If you know you know
    COTA - A little bit of everything rolled into a nice new-ish facility

Lime Rock - Small town feel ( because it is ) comfortable , some elevation, and I like it when the throw the kink in at the end of the back straight

Laguna Seca - Cork Screw - enough said.

S

7. Entropy

Entropy Formula 3
    Owner

Jul 10, 2008
    Daytona - it's different than any other track in the world. Banking is mind blowing. Favorite part is Turn 1, 200% braking coming off the banking (at around 185mph). Brake point is 10m before you see God...

Montreal - unfortunately, few get to drive it, but I love it. Deceptively fast with hard braking zones, rewards good footwork and ability to carry speed. It's a street circuit with implications. Coming down back straight at 165+, staring at pit in, brake as late as your life insurance can afford and hope you get enough curb to be quick but not enough you hit the wall of champions..

VIR - fast, flowing, uphill esses through Oak Tree..

Laguna Seca - elevation and corners that test your will to carry speed..T6 and T9

COTA, from Turn 1 to Turn 11 is a riot, T12-T18 not so much

Tremblant - perhaps one of the best in North America. Turns 1-2-3-4 get your attention, Gulch and Bridge require you to focus on your marks but your eyes stay on the concrete 4 feet away

Glen - can't wait to try it after the re-paving. Forces you to drive the car to the limit of understeer

8. Mike Hedlund

Mike Hedlund Karting

May 30, 2012
    Woodside, CA
    Full Name:
    Mike Hedlund
    Spa, Road America, Watkins Glen.

All 3 of them feel like you're going somewhere when you're doing a lap. And all 3 have a long history.

-mike

Manda racing likes this.
  9. schao

schao Formula Junior

Mar 31, 2013
    Palm Beach, FL
    Full Name:
    S Chao
  10. David Lind

David Lind Formula 3

Nov 19, 2008
    Full Name:
    David Lind
    Road Atlanta & Brands Hatch (UK). Terrain change, blind corners, always moving, & great vistas for spectators.
    I'd also like to try Mosport, or whatever it's called these days.

11. innerloop

innerloop Formula Junior

Jan 17, 2010
    Houston Heights, TX
    #11 innerloop, Feb 10, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I just had the chance to drive Barber Motorsports Park last weekend for the LeMons race and it was fantastic. Elevation change including some blind rises and fast sweeping turns, but not intimidating because of the wide runoff areas. And the facility is beautiful, like a park. From the control building, you can see four straightaways.

Plus the museum is awesome. Something like 1,400 motorcycles and a bunch of Formula One cars and this Surtees exhibit.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

12. chrisbinsb

chrisbinsb F1 Rookie

Oct 20, 2011
    Santa Barbara
    Full Name:
    Chris B
    Only done a few so far - Buttonwillow, Streets of Willow, and Laguna Seca - so my favorite is easy: Laguna because of the corkscrew.

13. 360Tom

360Tom Formula 3

May 9, 2013
    Burbank, CA
    Full Name:
    Tom
    California Speedway Roval is very fun and seems like you'd have to do something really dumb to crash there. Very smooth and fast.

Willow is fast, yet damn sketchy. It has so many off camber turns, nice little kink before the straight away, the back section of the track where you have to lift off the throttle a tad to let the car settle over the big hump on the track and don't forget the gravel from time to time too.

Might head out to Buttonwillow this weekend

14. singletrack

singletrack F1 Veteran

Mar 16, 2011
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Probably Sebring. It's the place I have the most laps also. Just very challenging and so much history.

VIR is beautiful and very fun. That is a must drive also.

Road Atlanta is incredibly challenging and technical despite the relatively short length.

Good luck; have fun!

15. Heat Seeker WS6

Heat Seeker WS6 Formula 3

Nov 4, 2003
    Milwaukee, WI
    Full Name:
    John G
    Road America. Besides living just under an hour from it, the vast majority of my track time is there. It's history, elevation changes, it's high speed areas, the KINK, and my favorite feature . ... Turn 5!

I'd like to track Road Atlanta, Glen and Laguna Seca. Not high on the list but on the radar is Sonoma. We'll be out there next fall and have an eye on one of their formula driving schools.

16. ProCoach

ProCoach F1 Veteran
    Owner

Sep 15, 2004
    VIR Raceway
    Full Name:
    Peter Krause
    Geez... That's like asking which is your favorite lover, all from supermodels? <grin>

Having raced and/or worked at a majority of North American tracks over the last thirty years, my personal favorite is Lime Rock, followed closely by my home track, VIR.

Just got back from a week at Sebring, and have won historic races at Daytona, but the Glen, Road Atlanta, Mont Tremblant and Road America are all probably a little higher on my list of choices.

Mid-Ohio is awesome! Barber, although "fiddly," is fun. I like the challenges of COTA and Indy GP, having been fortunate to win a few times at both. MRLS is really cool, but not that fast...

Of course, I like small, FAST tracks, with average speeds at or near 100 mph, especially considering my car tops out at 135! Roebling Road, Summit Point and NJMP (both courses) are fun!

Who am I kidding? I love them ALL! :D

Automoblog likes this.
  17. Korntera

Korntera Karting

Sep 19, 2012
    Happy Valley/Bend OR
    Full Name:
    Travis
    Oregon Raceway Park, 16 turns, over 400' of elevation in 2.3 miles, many blind corners yet lots of safe runoff. A "half pipe" in a canyon(videos just can't capture its awesomeness) 4+ track configurations and can almost run year round on it(which for our climate is amazing)

18. ProRallyCodriver

ProRallyCodriver Formula 3

Oct 25, 2005
    Alexandria, VA
    Full Name:
    Dave Shindle
    Pikes Peak, from the tollhouse to Summit. Runoff?

19. Daryl

Daryl Formula 3

Nov 10, 2003
    Barrington Hills, IL
    Full Name:
    Daryl Adams
    Two words.....Road America.

tifoso2728 likes this.
  20. singletrack

singletrack F1 Veteran

Mar 16, 2011
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Doesn't fit my risk profile ; ) Looks awesome though!

Manda racing likes this.
  21. 95spiderman

95spiderman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    For track day its Njmp because its got 2 separate tracks. Never get bored when do 1 on first day and other on 2nd. Trackside room super cheap and convenient. Decent restaurant also.

22. tomkatf

tomkatf F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 25, 2004
    San Diego...East Co.
    Full Name:
    Tom F.
    #22 tomkatf, Feb 17, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Well, Riverside but long gone... Ran this configuration at Spring Mountain Motorsports Ranch a couple weekends back... pretty busy, nice elevation changes and some high speed bits...

23. Smyrna355Spider

Smyrna355Spider F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 9, 2008
    In my Garage
    Full Name:
    Scott
    +1 to all above but I would add Barber. Just a blast to drive. Turn one is an unreal down hill left immediately followed by a cresting uphill 180 right turn two. Its like a roller coaster through turn three.

24. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    Tracks I've driven:

Paul Ricard - old version
    Nurburgring North Circuit
    Silverstone - 1993 circuit
    Watkins Glen
    Road Atlanta