What Battery Do You Have in Your 355? | FerrariChat

What Battery Do You Have in Your 355?

Discussion in '348/355' started by bcb70, Jan 17, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. bcb70

bcb70 Karting

Mar 30, 2013
    Northern VA
    Full Name:
    Brian B
    I think its time to change the battery in my 355.
    What have you found to be the most reliable battery?
    Please respond with part number and dimensions. I want to purchase a battery before I take out the old one and swap all at once.

Anyone figure out a way to run a trickle charger without an electrical outlet?

2. Robb

Robb Moderator
    Moderator Lifetime Rossa Owner

Feb 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Robb
    #2 Robb, Jan 17, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Interstate MT-34R is good to go.

With a battery tender it is bulletproof.

Make sure you get the "R" so it lines up with your cables...

My mechanic has not had good luck with the optima's.

Robb
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

3. drbob101

drbob101 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Nov 26, 2012
    Tinton Falls, NJ
    Full Name:
    Bob Ferraris
    Unfortunately they DC the 34R. You might have to get a 34.

I'll qualify that by saying I am reasonably sure that is the case.

4. bobzdar

bobzdar F1 Veteran

Sep 22, 2008
    Richmond
    Full Name:
    Pete
    I would only put a sealed battery in mine. Mine has had an Optima for the last 2 years, no issues. I would put a yellow top in as they are much more resilient when it comes to being discharged. When I bought the car it had an Interstate and there was some evidence of corrosion on the battery tray, not sure if it was due to that battery or a previous one and it was nothing major, but for that reason I swapped for the fully sealed Optima I had lying around.

5. gf1red

gf1red Formula Junior

Mar 5, 2006
    Staten Island N.Y.
    Full Name:
    Mike G.
    I also have an Optima Yellow top. Great Battery.

6. ready321now

ready321now Formula Junior

Jan 5, 2013
    New Jersey
    thanks for posting this thread I'm about to buy a new battery probably will go with the optima

7. jimmym

jimmym Formula 3

Sep 30, 2008
    Northeast U.S.
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Interstate.

8. 355rockit

355rockit Formula Junior

Dec 1, 2010
    San Marcos, CA
    Full Name:
    Vas
  9. SoCal1

SoCal1 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 14, 2011
    SoCal LA/OC/New Mexico
    Full Name:
    Tim Dee
    I have the 1200 amp oddesy, same I use to fire up 13-1 CR big blocks
    Its overkill and will go to a light weight one when I get a chance

10. 308 GTB

308 GTB F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 7, 2002
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Barry Wolinsky
    #10 308 GTB, Jan 17, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  11. SoCal1

SoCal1 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 14, 2011
    SoCal LA/OC/New Mexico
    Full Name:
    Tim Dee
    What does that weigh? 2 lbs :)

12. 308 GTB

308 GTB F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 7, 2002
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Barry Wolinsky
    I wish, Tim. :)

It's their AGM Endurance Series battery and weighs 45 pounds. They sell very lightweight AGM and Lithium batteries for racing but they won't last as long. I only do DE track events so weight isn't a major concern.

Barry

13. GerryD

GerryD Formula 3

May 5, 2010
    North of TO
    Full Name:
    Guido
    Interstate for over 5 years and its like new. Had an Optima and it lasted 4 years. Most batteries are good if you don't let them go dead a half dozen times or more. Battery tenders are a must.

14. AVMotorsport

AVMotorsport Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 11, 2004
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Alex V
    I had an Interstate for almost 10 years without an issue. That's with a battery tender on it when I don't plan to drive the car for more than 2 weeks. It finally died 2 years ago, and decided to try a Sears Diehard (Platinum series I think) since it was highly rated. No issues so far. I have an Oddyssey PC-680 on another car (weighs less than a third of a normal battery with similar capacity) but wouldn't recommend that on other than a track car.

No sure what you mean by this question...

15. GTO Joe

GTO Joe Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 15, 2013
    Charlotte, NC
    Full Name:
    Joseph Troutwine
    I have an Interstate in my 348 as well as one other vehicle and they are doing great. Both were in the cars when I bought them and I will probably replace with the same. I have also had good luck with the AutoZone Gold series in my other cars and they have a strong warranty that they honor without problem. When I lived in Phoenix the summer heat was really hard on batteries and a number of times I returned a three or four year old battery and got a third off the replacement no questions asked. As already mentioned, a good tender preferably with the pulse technology is a must for our cars not driven on a regular basis.

16. cf355

cf355 F1 Rookie

Feb 28, 2005
    Full Name:
    chris
    I'm on my third Interstate 34r.
    The only reason I changed the last one was that it was getting older at 6 or 7 years (but it was working fine).

17. fdekeu

fdekeu Formula Junior

Jun 19, 2008
    Belzium
    Full Name:
    Frank
    I have an Odyssey ER30 (PC950) in the 355
    Only 9 kgs, 1/2 of a normal one
    No problems after 1 yr

I have a LiFePO4 one in the 348
    40Ah capacity, only 5kgs

18. WATSON

WATSON Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 9, 2010
    WI
    Optima red top in mine...and a tender.

The big knock on Optima's is the difficulty in recharging a discharged battery. The trick is to hook to any good battery in series with the charger...and it charges just fine.

19. bobzdar

bobzdar F1 Veteran

Sep 22, 2008
    Richmond
    Full Name:
    Pete
    My charger (digital Schumacher) has an agm mode that charges it fine. I've had 3 optima and never had to replace one. 2 are still in service and the other went with a car I sold.

20. jimmym

jimmym Formula 3

Sep 30, 2008
    Northeast U.S.
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Exactly. Battery tenders are necessary. Definitely extends the life of a battery.

21. cf355

cf355 F1 Rookie

Feb 28, 2005
    Full Name:
    chris
    +1

22. bcb70

bcb70 Karting

Mar 30, 2013
    Northern VA
    Full Name:
    Brian B
    Great info on the batteries. It looks like the Interstate is a great way to go. Will the interstate model 34 work in lieu of the 34r?

Agreed a battery tender is a must. My issue is I live in a condo with no electrical outlets nearby and solar isn't an option. Any suggestions?

23. Badabing!

Badabing! Formula Junior

Mar 30, 2014
    NYC

Another Interstate 34R here. Just got it about 2 months ago so they are still available.

24. GTSNJ

GTSNJ Formula Junior

Jan 18, 2015
    I took a look down behind the headlight with the hood popped...mine has the interstate standard unit.

25. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    #25 johnk..., Jan 19, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2015
    I've never paid much attention to batteries. When one goes bad I usually just head to NAPA or Sears and buy one that has the right size and ratings, with the longest warrantee. I also don't use a battery tender on my F Cars. I just disconnect the battery when not in use or in storage. So far that has worked pretty well for me. My 308 has a 13 year old Die Hard in it. It has started each spring without the need for charging for the last 13 years after sitting for about 6 months. Will it make it 14? I have only owned my 355 for going on two years but I do the same thing, disconnect the battery when not in use and in storage. No starting problems last spring. It has now been in storage since mid October with the battery disconnected. No tender. For the heck of it I just went out and measure the voltage of its battery. 12.64 V. Considering that a fully charged starter battery has an open circuit voltage of 12.65 V. Seems to be holding the charge just fine.