News

What Bourbon/Scotch are you drinking?

Discussion in 'Drink, Smoke, and Fine Dining' started by gh0st0, Oct 24, 2018.

1. gh0st0

gh0st0 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 2, 2018
    Midwest
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. NbyNW

NbyNW F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Picked up my bottle from post 494 and looked around for something interesting. Ended up getting this to support a Maryland distillery. 100% grain. Interesting and really sweet nose. The taste was very different - not my favorite but different can be interesting occasionally.

My wife and I did a taste test between it, Legent, Knob Creek, and the Michter’s I just got (post 481), and Virginia Gentleman. All straight out of the bottle and uncut.

1812 Maryland: Very sweet nose, interesting taste, not typical at all. Would take time to get used to it. Probably won't buy it again.
    Michter's: Sharp and big bite up front, wife said it stings (don't remember the proof). Yikes!
    Knob Creek: Smooth but can tell it's higher proof, no big bite. Another of our standards.
    Legent: Very smooth and kind of a light taste even at 94 proof. Very easy to sip. We really like it and will get it again, not too expensive either.
    Virginia Gentleman: I've been sipping this since I started with bourbon... a long time ago, and still one of my favorites. Wife really likes it too. Great value.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Camp Freddie and armedferret like this.
  4. armedferret

armedferret Formula Junior

Mar 24, 2018
    Full Name:
    Mark
    I'm with you on the 1812, it's definitely different and I applaud them for finding a niche but i dont know that it's for me.

5. armedferret

Mar 24, 2018
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Oh and it turns out the owners of Lost Ark in Columbia are acquaintances, worked with the fella when i first got stationed out here in 08. Dude's got a passion.

6. NbyNW

NbyNW F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Definitely niche... I had to do a taste test because it was so different.

I'll look for Lost Ark next time.

armedferret likes this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. armedferret

Mar 24, 2018
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Theyre mostly rums but they make a pretty decent whiskey too. Theyre on Berger Road in Columbia, just off 32 and Broken Land pkwy.

NbyNW likes this.
  9. soulsea

soulsea Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 14, 2018
    Mount Pleasant SC
    Full Name:
    Serge
    GatorFL, poljav and armedferret like this.
  10. armedferret

Mar 24, 2018
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Fan of that EC18. I honestly probably overpaid for my bottle but it was bought for a specific occasion and it wasn't "full secondary", just a little bump over MSRP so I was okay with it. That Rare Perfection i've added to my hunting list when we Hajj again here in a couple weeks. :D

11. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Moderator Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    Still enjoying Islay

Lagavulin 16 is great but Laphroaig still has the best for value IMHO.

Ardbeg Corryvreckan is my favorite
    Kilchoman still needs more work
    Bowmore great for sweet
    Caol Ila - umbrace Islay laddie...
    Bruichladdich = great wild card.
    Bunnahabhain - meh.

ebobh15 and armedferret like this.
  12. To remove this ad click here.

13. JG26_Irish

JG26_Irish Rookie

Dec 22, 2011
    I am finishing up a bottle of Elijah Craig 18 myself. It is great but I think I prefer the Craig 12yr Barrel Proof over the older dram. Those are my favs when I can find them. Pro Tip: Go find a bottle of Coopers Craft 100 proof BIB. It is not a haughty high priced bourbon but it has character, flavor, deep dark color and a great nose. Vanilla, Toffee, Brown Sugar on the front, a hint of oak and caramel on the nose and a mild pepper spice finish that is not too harsh. Got a bottle of WT Master's Keep also but only open it for rare occasions.

armedferret likes this.
  14. soulsea

soulsea Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 14, 2018
    Mount Pleasant SC
    Full Name:
    Serge
    Good harvest this week …

Two more bottles of EC 18, then two of the EC toasted barrel, and then this finally showed up at the store today:

Image Unavailable, Please Login

gh0st0 likes this.