What Bourbon/Scotch are you drinking? | Page 28 | FerrariChat

What Bourbon/Scotch are you drinking?

Discussion in 'Drink, Smoke, and Fine Dining' started by gh0st0, Oct 24, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. soulsea

soulsea Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 14, 2018
    So I finally got around to opening this sought after bottle of OF. I had been holding off on it because of the 125 proof and the aforementioned throat violence aversion, but I figured what's a better time than after acclimating myself with the 120 proof KO bourbon.

This is a complicated one. It's aromas are wonderful, it's taste is powerful and complex, and it's actually pretty gentle on the throat for such a high proof bourbon ... but, it also does that thing where everything is fine until five seconds after you drink it and you get heartburn like you ate a ghost pepper infused burrito.

I'm going to give it a few more tries to see how it plays out but to me this one falls short of what is required to make high proof whiskey wonderful ... it lacks the genius of smoothness at high proof. Best way to describe it is that it's closer to Booker's than to Thomas Handy.

That said it is precisely what someone who likes Stagg JR would like ... so if that's your thing this will be your thing too.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Wikdstrate, jahdish, GatorFL and 3 others like this.
  2. armedferret

armedferret Formula 3

Mar 24, 2018
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Have you tried a single ice cube to see if it opens it up/tames it a little?

3. soulsea

soulsea Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 14, 2018
    I will put a couple of drops of distilled water in some whiskeys to release the aromas and flavors but I will not drink whiskey on ice ... I stick to the principle that if I have to dilute whiskey to make it tolerable then it's not to my taste.

Thankfully after yesterday's unpleasantness, the unmentionable bottle has been put aside for the serving of objectionable guests (is there any other kind?), and I've decided to soothe my soul, my throat, and my thorax, with something quite special. :)

AtomicPunk88 and armedferret like this.
  4. armedferret

armedferret Formula 3

Mar 24, 2018
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    Mark
    i love everything about this post :D

AtomicPunk88 and soulsea like this.
  5. armedferret

armedferret Formula 3

Mar 24, 2018
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Within an hour of touching down we had our bags, our rental car, and--most importantly--a smoke wagon UCUF 92 and a 1.75 of Trace so I have a good stock for deck fire nights.

NbyNW, AtomicPunk88 and soulsea like this.
  6. soulsea

soulsea Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 14, 2018
  7. Skippr1999

Skippr1999 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2009
    NbyNW, soulsea and armedferret like this.
  8. armedferret

armedferret Formula 3

Mar 24, 2018
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    Mark
    If that's "starting out" you're goin places!! Nice picks!

9. Skippr1999

Skippr1999 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2009
    Thanks. Straight to the Top Shelf. It took 30 years to go back to Bourbon after UGA football games.

armedferret likes this.
  10. AtomicPunk88

AtomicPunk88 Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2019
    Full Name:
    Brad
    Decided to pick up a bottle of Elijah Craig yesterday afternoon based on this recommendation. I agree - very good stuff, especially for the price. Enjoyed some around the fire to complement the Oliva V Melanio figurado I was also enjoying. Great combo.

NbyNW and armedferret like this.
  11. soulsea

soulsea Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 14, 2018
  12. MoreGarages413

MoreGarages413 Karting

Jan 21, 2019
    Suburban Philadelphia PA
    Full Name:
    Jay B
  13. soulsea

soulsea Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 14, 2018
  14. armedferret

armedferret Formula 3

Mar 24, 2018
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    Mark
    For those who weren't following the shenanigans on intsa, we were out in Vegas for EDC (Electric Daisy Carnival, 3-night rave--yes I'm 41 years old and I still go to raves :p ) and naturally the day we landed, we had several hours to kill before we could check in at the hotel. Welp. Might as well go look for berbin right? :D

While the Trace isn't *TOO* big a deal, just Trace itself in MD is almost nonexistent, and when you find it, it's at a *STUPID* price. (I still have one of the two store-pick bottles I scored in the spring stashed, fantastic long caramel finish) A 1.75? nope. not happening. nowhere in this state. So at 40 bucks, it was a no-brainer.

My big target was Smoke Wagon since it's from Vegas. Can't visit the distillery yet (tasting room is nearly done but the license isn't anywhere close to completion from what I get talking to Aaron) but all the local spots have small batch and straight fairly easy to find. Uncut/Unfiltered can be a challenge, but the Total Wine on S. LV Blvd (the strip) had ONE bottle left. Hidden behind the small batch. After an employee told me they were out. 99% sure he was stashing that one for a friend lol. OH WELL I WIN.

Then I also scored two of their Halloween bottles of Straight (one for a friend here in MD) at a Lee's location. Finished off my previous straight tonight with a DOF so I have an excuse to pop the spookybottle soon. :D

We're heading back in May for EDC 2022 so I'll probably enjoy the SW a little more frequently betwixt now and then. Hoping Aaron can get everything squared away (bribes paid? it's vegas after all lol) for the tasting room to be open by then.

soulsea likes this.
  15. jahdish

jahdish Karting

Aug 9, 2004
    tampa, fl
    Full Name:
    Paul Dziadosz
    soulsea and armedferret like this.
  16. jahdish

jahdish Karting

Aug 9, 2004
    tampa, fl
    Full Name:
    Paul Dziadosz
  17. jahdish

jahdish Karting

Aug 9, 2004
    tampa, fl
    Full Name:
    Paul Dziadosz
    Scuderia 110, GatorFL, NbyNW and 5 others like this.
  18. armedferret

armedferret Formula 3

Mar 24, 2018
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    Mark
    HOLY CRAP congrats!!!

Scuderia 110 and jahdish like this.
  19. soulsea

soulsea Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 14, 2018
    Congrats man, that’s about as good as it gets.

Scuderia 110 and jahdish like this.
  20. Raconteur

Raconteur F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 19, 2015
    Portlandia, OR
    Full Name:
    Frank
    I’m a newb to bourbon, scotch etc… My Loan Officer friend gave me this on the refi closing. Anyone tried? I don’t want to be a pleb and use it to make a mixed drink like I do with Bulleit. Thanks.

Scuderia 110, jahdish and soulsea like this.
  21. soulsea

soulsea Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 14, 2018
    Blade & Bow is delicious and a great value. You should get more loans. :)

jahdish, armedferret and Raconteur like this.
  22. armedferret

armedferret Formula 3

Mar 24, 2018
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Have to use some freebies for hotel stays by the end of the year, so I'm heading to the hills to visit Trace, Heaven Hill, Angels' Envy, and Makers (for sure) over vets day weekend.

Any other suggestions? :D

23. jahdish

jahdish Karting

Aug 9, 2004
    tampa, fl
    Full Name:
    Paul Dziadosz
    If you are a Marriott guy there is a new hotel in downtown Louisville called Distil. Heard great things. Definitely check out the ones you mentioned and also add Rabbit Hole, Stitzel Weller, Castle and Key, Michters and Peerless to the list. Woodford is also a beautiful property.

armedferret likes this.