What car is this exactly? | FerrariChat

What car is this exactly?

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by GBTR6, Aug 14, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. GBTR6

GBTR6 Formula Junior

Dec 29, 2011
    Titletown, USA
    Full Name:
    Perry Rondou

Attached Files:

2. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
    It's a Motto body on some Ferrari parts I've no idea what. See thread here. I believe it was claimed to be 01C and then 010S, but it's not.

3. a.v.d.winkel

a.v.d.winkel Karting

Jun 22, 2004
    Best
    Full Name:
    Arjan van der Winkel
  4. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    fiatosca likes this.
  5. Timmmmmmmmmmy

Timmmmmmmmmmy F1 Rookie

Apr 5, 2010
    NZ
    Full Name:
    Timothy Russell
    Hi Perry

This is #031S which supposedly has a chassis stamping which infers it could indeed be #01C or #01S, nobody seems quite sure. IF true it is the first Ferrari ever built. All covered in the thread below.

https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/1st-ferrari-in-az.459702/#post-143353131

6. GBTR6

GBTR6 Formula Junior

Dec 29, 2011
    Titletown, USA
    Full Name:
    Perry Rondou
    Thank you all for the replies. I thought that it wouldn't be, but thought it may be a special or something.

Perry

7. Timmmmmmmmmmy

Timmmmmmmmmmy F1 Rookie

Apr 5, 2010
    NZ
    Full Name:
    Timothy Russell
    IF it turns out to be #01C or even #01S it is very very special, arguably the most special Ferrari ever!

8. readplays

readplays Formula 3

Aug 22, 2008
    New York City
    Full Name:
    Dave Powers
    Tim, I just re-read the thread from 2008 that Steve/miurasv linked to in post #2 and refreshed my memory.

Roger Willbanks owns 010I which has been recognized by the experts as 01C.
    01S is a different matter and seemingly unrelated to any of these subject cars.

In re-reading the thread (13pgs), IMO there are no concrete conclusions/final answers as to what the car in this thread is (which, confusingly, was/has been owned for a long time- not sure if it still is- by a gentleman named Williman. Not the same as Willbanks).
    At the end of the day though, the aforementioned thread does put to rest the idea that the car in this thread is in whole or part one of the 1947 cars/first Ferraris. The car in this thread seems to be a composition of 1948 & 1949 parts in my reading of it.
    It would be interesting to know more about what it is but that scholarship is way beyond my means.

Dave

9. 180 Out

180 Out Formula 3

Jan 4, 2012
    San Leandro, CA
    Full Name:
    Bill Henley
    Modelers should take note of the period correct details of the man next to the car in the first photo: ballcap, T-shirt, big belly, water bottle, and short pants. Definitely a 21st Century look.

tritone and Jack-the-lad like this.
  10. Timmmmmmmmmmy

Timmmmmmmmmmy F1 Rookie

Apr 5, 2010
    NZ
    Full Name:
    Timothy Russell
    I know Michael Mueller was most of the way through a decades long process to research all of the early Ferraris but even he has moved on to Bugattis, mainly Type 51s. Even for Ferrari/ Maserati it is a minefield with a whole series of F1 cars produced in 1949/50 re-using old chassis with different numbers. Further its not like anyone involved still exists so one must rely on second hand information about what actually happened and the earliest works records offer scant information for obvious reasons. At least the GP cars and sports racing cars (like #001S) were indeed raced and with enough photo's a forensic application can track which car was raced by whom but road cars generally lack the ability to do this. Even if #001S was wrecked at the 1951 Targa Florio (#031S was built in 1949) it remains that some parts could have been used in a rebuild of #031S. There are dozens of Ferrari including #0800 that remain in the what if category and this is one of them.

11. GBTR6

GBTR6 Formula Junior

Dec 29, 2011
    Titletown, USA
    Full Name:
    Perry Rondou
    Back in the day he could have been the driver. Back when drivers were fat and tires were skinny.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

Perry

12. readplays

readplays Formula 3

Aug 22, 2008
    New York City
    Full Name:
    Dave Powers
    Pampas Bull... getting it done. :cool:

13. GBTR6

GBTR6 Formula Junior

Dec 29, 2011
    Titletown, USA
    Full Name:
    Perry Rondou
    Right/ He makes that car look like a kiddie car. But, boy he could drive.

Perry

readplays likes this.
  14. Jeff Kennedy

Jeff Kennedy F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 16, 2007
    Edwardsville, IL
    Full Name:
    Jeff Kennedy
    I once asked Jess Pourret about 031. This was at a time when Jess was a consulting expert to Classiche.

He was totally dismissive of the 01/001 claim.

Timmmmmmmmmmy likes this.
  15. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    This is 031 S with Motto body ex 002 C.
    Thanks for posting my photo.

Marcel Massini

16. Ak Jim

Ak Jim F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 23, 2007
    North Pole AK
    I think 1962 was an excellent year for GM styling, they were all very good.

375+ likes this.