What color should I paint my Brake Calipers? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

What color should I paint my Brake Calipers?

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by Jimmy540i, Apr 1, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

?

What Color Should I paint the Brake Calipers on my Ferrari?

1. YELLOW Calipers w/ Black “Ferrari” Letterings

2. RED Calipers w/ Black “Ferrari” Letterings

3. Leave it alone - BLACK Calipers w/ White “Ferrari’ Letterings

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. F-passione

F-passione Karting

Mar 31, 2004
    Orange County, CA
    When riding, getting tagged can happen to anyone regardless of your skill level. You are just not very visible to other drivers. People that don't realize this are kidding themselves imo.

It happened to me and I was fortunate to walk away with only a broken collar bone. That's when I decided to take up other hobbies like F-cars ;)

2. Jimmy540i

Jimmy540i Formula 3
    BANNED

Jan 11, 2004
    Los Angeles / NYC
    Full Name:
    www.Jimmy540i.com

I'm sorry to hear about that, you okay right? :)

I know how you feel. I consider myself not too shabby rider. I've been riding for so many years and still can't beleive I took a hit just like that.

Also excuse me for not checking on your profile, what bike do you own (or used to) and F-Car?

3. JRocks

JRocks Karting

Sep 17, 2003
    California
    #28 JRocks, Apr 2, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  4. Jimmy540i

Jimmy540i Formula 3
    BANNED

Jan 11, 2004
    Los Angeles / NYC
    Full Name:
    www.Jimmy540i.com
    Dude, THANK YOU SO MUCH!

Do you have other pictures (close up / better resolusions)?

Where are you in OC, I'm in Laguna Hills.

5. Ricambi America

Ricambi America F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Owner

Jimmy -

I have followed of your posts on Roadfly and other boards for a long time. May I ask a simple favor? Dump the signature of your toys and the animated GIF avatar. We all know about your E39, Duc, and Ferrari and it just wastes bandwidth. On the other boards, I didn't really care what you posted -- but as a paying member of Fchat, I really want this to be "a notch" above the others.

How you drive/ride is your business. When you injure or kill one of my loved ones, we'll have something to discuss.

-Daniel

6. Greg G

Greg G F1 Rookie

Leave the colored calipers to the ricer crowd. I believe Porsche started this trend with red OE calipers on their RS cars, but its totally gotten out of hand nowadays.

Jimmy... the car is perfect as is, and I like your interior choice too!

7. Buttuz4eva

Buttuz4eva F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Dec 14, 2003
    LONG ISLAND N.Y.
    Full Name:
    Challenge Farrelle
    Jimmy I think red looks nice It compleates the car looks more beefy to .yellow I think is to close to the center caps and takes away from it. I am a firm believer in personalizing your car no matter what and I am sure that you are so amped on the way your car looks and want to keep adding more. I am in the same position not with caliper color but It took me alittle bit to decide on tints then wheels now I just decided to powder coat the stock wheels black and man am I happy sometimes to much advice is to over whelming you need to go with your gut feeling you know whats up because in the end your the one driving it and living with it in your garage or driveway. Its good to have some options but deep down you know what your going to do .

8. sherpa23

sherpa23 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 28, 2003
    Rocky Mountains
    Full Name:
    Bastuna
    Jimmy,
    I have a band aid type cure for your Ducati problems:

I am getting ready to put new tires on my 998 street bike. The current tires are Metzeler M1 Sportecs with about 1700 miles on them. They are scrubbed from edge to edge and you can see the rubber peeling up all the way on the sides. They have a good bit of tread on them, especially in the center, but they have too many heat cycles on them for my taste. I am sure that someone who uses the bike for city or highway cruising can get another 1500 miles out of them easily.

Since you don't lean your bikes over and everyone calls you a poser, the solution might be to pose like someone who knows how to ride. Therefore, I am willing to send you my tires. Then at least you won't have deal with people who don't already know you calling you out as a Venti non-fat latte drinking coffee shop Ducati poser. Anyone you ride with will know what kind of rider you are but at least the pics will look good, right?

Anyway, I will send the tires to you for free - you still have to pay the shipping - under one condition: please, please remove that Scuderia Shield from your Ducati. It's a Ducati. It doesn't need a Ferrari sticker to give it heritage. It's possible that the only reason it's on there is so that when people see it and ask about it, it offers you another opportunity to mention that you have a Ferrari. I am pretty sure that no one is that shallow so I am giving you the benefit of the doubt on that one.

At any rate, the tires are coming off next week so let me know before that. Shipping will probably be around $25-$30. It should help your internet woes immensely.

9. Jimmy540i

Jimmy540i Formula 3
    BANNED

Jan 11, 2004
    Los Angeles / NYC
    Full Name:
    www.Jimmy540i.com
    Thanks Bob

10. Jimmy540i

Jimmy540i Formula 3
    BANNED

Jan 11, 2004
    Los Angeles / NYC
    Full Name:
    www.Jimmy540i.com

Thanks, that was why I keep the Brembo Calipers on my 540i Black w/ white "Ferrari" lettering.

Thanks for the input

11. chaa

chaa F1 Veteran

Mar 21, 2003
    Jimmy paint ya calipers dude,and ride and drive ya machines hard, there yours and i do the same. Theres always bloody Moaners and farters. And I know why you want to do it,so its individual, so when you go to a ferrari show it does not look the same as the other 30 or so ferraris of the same type.I myself have MVs, Dukes and suzi busas all personalised the way i like em, i wont even tell you the plans i have for the ferrari (including calipers) it will have the moaners reaching for the smelling salts. Paint them calipers man and paint them RED with silver lettering. Sorry about my spelling, but as usal i dont give a ............

12. Chiaro_Slag

Chiaro_Slag F1 Veteran

Oct 31, 2003
    CA
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    Looking good Jun - Hope to see you again soon! :)

13. LAfun2

LAfun2 Three Time F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    California
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    Ouch :eek:

EDIT: I wonder if this thread is going for Jimmy like this one did

http://speedzilla.zeroforum.com/zerothread?id=24161

14. sherpa23

sherpa23 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 28, 2003
    Rocky Mountains
    Full Name:
    Bastuna
  15. Etcetera

Etcetera Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 7, 2003
    Full Name:
    Fe2O3
    Ouch! What a bagging!

BTW, what's a "Chicken Strip"?

16. LAfun2

Oct 31, 2003
    California
    Full Name:
    Ryan

If you look at a bike tire from the rear..you can see the sides of the tires are not rounded off, there is a few inch wide space in the middle of the tire that is flat, indicating that the bike is ridden in straight line all the time (aka freeways and such).

17. Jimmy540i

Jimmy540i Formula 3
    BANNED

Jan 11, 2004
    Los Angeles / NYC
    Full Name:
    www.Jimmy540i.com
    Yes, ouch.

Like I said, there are many levels of people. :)

18. Jimmy540i

Jimmy540i Formula 3
    BANNED

Jan 11, 2004
    Los Angeles / NYC
    Full Name:
    www.Jimmy540i.com

Thanks, I was going to explain that.

19. LAfun2

Oct 31, 2003
    California
    Full Name:
    Ryan

No worries man.

Anyways back on topic, are you going to make your decision based on the poll or have you made the decision already?

I think personalizing a car is cool, but I think the F car looks good as is Jimmy.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

20. Etcetera

Silver Subscribed

Dec 7, 2003
    Full Name:
    Fe2O3
    Haha, that's kind of funny, actually :)

My bike is so old it doesn't even HAVE rounded tires!

21. sherpa23

sherpa23 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 28, 2003
    Rocky Mountains
    Full Name:
    Bastuna
    #46 sherpa23, Apr 2, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017

A "chicken strip" is the shiny bit of unused tread on the sides of a motorcycle tire. If you own a racing derived superbike, like a Ducati 748, 996, or 998 or 749/999, then the real fun is in leaning the bike over and turning properly.

However, the stereotypical Ducati owner is the guy who buys a Ducati and never really uses it as it was intended. He just cruises through town so everyone can look at him. The tell tale sign is the amount of tread used on the tires. Even a cautious rider uses all of the tread on the tires in turns so it's truly a poser who doesn't.

Here is a pic of the front tire on my 998. notice that the tread is scrubbed all the way to sidewall of the tire. And this is a street bike. My track bike has the tread totally chewed to bits at the edges.

The second pic is Jimmy's bike.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

22. Jimmy540i

Jimmy540i Formula 3
    BANNED

Jan 11, 2004
    Los Angeles / NYC
    Full Name:
    www.Jimmy540i.com
    I just might, looks like the crowd is leaning towards RED at this time.

YELLOW - 19 - 28.57%
    RED - 26 - 39.68%
    BLACK - 20 - 31.75%

Hmmm...

23. sherpa23

sherpa23 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 28, 2003
    Rocky Mountains
    Full Name:
    Bastuna

BTW, I agree with this. I don't think that your car needs anything (other than a challenge grill, but that's personal choice).

24. Jimmy540i

Jimmy540i Formula 3
    BANNED

Jan 11, 2004
    Los Angeles / NYC
    Full Name:
    www.Jimmy540i.com

I didn't like the rear challenge in the first place, however, I saw a red 360 / rear challenge grill and it doesn't look so bad at all.

I like the way you can see the exhaust through the grill when looking from behind of the car

25. Etcetera

Silver Subscribed

Dec 7, 2003
    Full Name:
    Fe2O3
    Aha. Here's a picture of a bike exactly like mine. It's an old MINT KZ 400 with 800 miles on it. It doesn't stop well, corner well, or accelerate well either, but it makes a lot of noise doing it (like a Lamborghini!).

I like old bikes, (any) old bikes.