What constitutes “rare!” | FerrariChat

What constitutes “rare!”

Discussion in 'American Muscle' started by JP365, Aug 13, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. JP365

JP365 Formula 3

Mar 8, 2007
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    John F
    Just got a Marti report on my 1971 Mustang Grande. Based on the numbers, I still think it is a grocery getter, but I’m curious what others think constitutes rare?
    Fleet order 9/30/70. 5,315 with the 351 V-8 2V Cleveland and FMX transmission, 4,584 with this paint/trim code, 2,138 with AM/FM radio, and 1,160 from this DSO. No information as to how many had the deluxe interior/belts, tinted glass, SelectAire, and power disc brakes. There were a total of 148,678 Mustangs made. Of those, 17,406 were Grandes. Rare or grocery getter?

2. rdefabri

rdefabri Three Time F1 World Champ

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    It’s funny you say this - I was watching What’s My Car Worth when a black ‘67 Corvette came up for auction. The owner - a long time NCRS judge - claimed “this is the only triple black 427/435 car with blah blah I’ve ever seen!”

No offense to the owner, but the statement was dumb. Who cares if it’s the only blah blah - it’s a Corvette, period end of sentence? My belly button lint is rare too, but no one is paying for that - right?

Sticking with Corvettes - compare pricing on mid year Corvettes with Jaguar E-Types of the same era. Both are similar in price, but there were about 2-3x MORE Corvettes made than E-Types!!!

It’s an objective measurement with subjective application. IMHO it’s relatively meaningless.

boxerman likes this.
  3. dwhite

dwhite F1 Rookie

I don't think 17K is rare, but if you like it who cares what others think. Also rare does not automatically translate into higher value.

My issue is when auction houses try to make some innane option group of picks a special car or "rare". The option lists back in the 50s, 60s and 70s was vast, so having a five of 5000 was easy IMO.

Davesvt2000, rdefabri and 19633500GT like this.
  4. 19633500GT

19633500GT F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 9, 2010
    Blueberry
    Full Name:
    Muffin-Tops
    Muscle cars were what originally got me "into" cars (watching Vanishing Point in 2002/3). I was also perplexed though moving forward as I got into European cars, how American cars in comparison would tout these "1 of 9" made sales blast pitches, when really it came down to (like the above mentions) a MASSIVE list of options, and the corresponding "rareness" was attributed more towards small unique but not over the top, "extras" (look at this one, made with rear seat belt delete, radio block plate, red line Polyglas, non-A/C Camaro!!!!).

Always a mystery to how buyers would take those things into perspective.

boxerman, clandestine and rdefabri like this.
  5. JP365

JP365 Formula 3

Mar 8, 2007
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    John F
    Thanks for the replies. I have a love/meh relationship with the car. On the one hand, it will always be the grocery getter that my grandmother bought in 1972 as a leftover dealer loaner car. She died in 1979 and my grandfather drove it sparingly until he gave it to me in 1997. I drove it back to Chicago from California with my then girlfriend (now wife).Lots of memories driving it up and down the California coast as a teenager when I’d visit my grandfather. OTOH, it’s a lead sled. Fun in small increments, but not inspiring. It has sentimental value, but I don’t think it is all that rare. I just thought the statistics section of the report was a bit optimistic by making it seem as if it is a 1 of 1.160 instead of 1 of 148k. Keep the responses coming. Curious to hear others thoughts/stories.

6. Davesvt2000

Davesvt2000 Formula 3

May 3, 2005
    Central Mass.
    Full Name:
    Dave G.
    I do not mean this towards you or your car, but as others have mentioned with auction houses and the hype that goes along with them, rare does not always equal desirable.

7. JP365

JP365 Formula 3

Mar 8, 2007
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    John F
    No offense taken. I have no delusions about what the car is. The notch back cars are the least desirable. I’d be amazed if the car is worth $4,000. As I’ve said before, it will always be a grocery getter to me. I was just curious what people thought about the Marti report numbers. BTW, how are the late 1990s early 2000s Mustangs? Every now and then I think about trading my car towards a more modern mustang.

8. dwhite

dwhite F1 Rookie

To you it is priceless in the sense your grandparents owned and gave it to you; a true one of one. To me this is a great piece to have and not a bad car either. Enjoy it and if you have kids pass it on.

9. Davesvt2000

Davesvt2000 Formula 3

May 3, 2005
    Central Mass.
    Full Name:
    Dave G.
    I’ve got three genearations, a 1993 Fox body SVT cobra, a 2000 cobra R, and a 2012 Boss 302 Laguna Seca.

Each platform feels light years ahead of the previous. They all have their pluses and minuses, almost like having three kids with different personalities. I love them all but in their own way.

I’m at a open track road course event right now in Michigan with the Boss, and the car ran awesome, and I can drive back to the hotel with the AC and radio on and relax.

The R is so raw, you hear and feel and smell everything going on, it’s sensory overload sometimes, no radio, no AC, no carpet. I love it but sometimes you get out of it and feel mentally and physically exhausted.

Them climb into the 93, bought it New, back then it was the end all be all of fox bodies, going out with a bang, OMG four wheel disc brakes, OMG 17 inch wheels! And my first car with a CD player. Now as old as it is, 25 years, it still puts a smile on my face even with its 240 hp, or about the same as my wife’s 2017 Ford Eacape lol.

Right now fox bodies are on a tear in value, nice clean examples high teens to low twenties, and the cobras are going for high 20’s to mid 30’s.

And finally, after all this, I drove a buddy’s 2017 GT350 on the track today, holy **** that thing is fast, blows away my Boss and it would prob embarrass my R on the track. Time to start saving up again......

10. sherrillt

sherrillt Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 1, 2009
    Northern Virginia
    Rare is relative to total production. I consider =/< 2500 units as rare

11. Tenney

Tenney F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Feb 21, 2001
    These days "limited" = rare?

12. pearsonhaus

pearsonhaus Formula 3

Jul 2, 2008
    You have a long history with the car and as time goes on that may prove to be invaluable in itself. I have a 1931 Chevrolet 3 window coupe and I enjoy driving the car. However, one of the great things about driving it is I have never stopped at an intersection and had another car like it sitting across from me. Who cares what it's worth if you enjoy it and it's cool? Old Mustangs are just cool, fun and not crammed with a lot of electronics. Just good old basic automotive fun!

13. OhioMark

OhioMark Formula Junior

Feb 16, 2006
    My Dad use to own a 57' T-bird with a 292 and 3 speed manual tranny, which is rare but hardly desirable.