What did you do to your 365 GT4 2+2/400/412 today? | Page 10 | FerrariChat

What did you do to your 365 GT4 2+2/400/412 today?

Discussion in '365 GT4 2+2/400/412' started by OttoB, May 29, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. samsaprunoff

samsaprunoff F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2004
    Edmonton, AB Canada
    Full Name:
    Sam Saprunoff
    Good day Ken,

Maybe so... but there are a bunch of relays and other wiring nuances sprinkled about and so I think it is premature to say who is more fortunate :)

Cheers,

Sam

2. raemin

raemin Formula 3

Jan 16, 2007
    Lyon (FR)
    Full Name:
    R. Emin
    Anyone who does not have the later relay panel is fortunate!

I realy appreciate the early 400 for their versatility and the 366 for its simplicity. By contrast the 400i gen2 and 412 relay panels are just wrong.

If one does not fancy originality a 400 relay panel can easily be retrofited in a 365 with plenty of spare relays for all the anciliaries?

3. raemin

raemin Formula 3

Jan 16, 2007
    Lyon (FR)
    Full Name:
    R. Emin
    I cannot pretend I did it today, as my mechanic actually finished the job while I was away (had to accept a mission 10days earlier than planed).

Had to drop the right head twice, had to remove the left one 4 times, but now I've got a working engine with oversized high compression pistons 4°more inlet advance, 412 ignition curve and a tricky gearbox. The whole $40.000 lego seems to be in a single piece, and working !

Still have to talk to the lady about the suspension fanblocks and paint overspray...

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Schumi, Ak Jim, Jasonberkeley and 2 others like this.
  4. Ewan

Ewan Karting

Jul 5, 2015
    Dorset, UK
    My 400i is currently have new carpets fitted throughout. I visited it today, and the drivers side is done and looks fantastic. The passenger side will be done next week. When all complete I’ll post some photos.
    New carpet is a (relatively) inexpensive way to totally refresh the look of the interior.

5. 360modena2003

360modena2003 Formula 3

Jul 11, 2009
    Where did you purchase the carpet?

Sent from my MAR-LX1M using Tapatalk

6. Ewan

Ewan Karting

Jul 5, 2015
    Dorset, UK
    I chose it from one of the carpet sample books the restoration/trimmers had. Can’t remember the make just now, but can find out. But it’s a very good match for the original (but somewhat threadbare) carpets they are replacing.
    The cost is only about GBP 40 per m, so in material terms this job is peanuts. You are really only paying for the labour.

7. samsaprunoff

samsaprunoff F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2004
    Edmonton, AB Canada
    Full Name:
    Sam Saprunoff
    Good day all,

Just a FYI...I believe the original carpets were Wilton wool. Below are a few links showing the various carpet colors available:

http://www.worlduph.com/samples/wilton.htm

http://www.globalupholstery.com/product/carpet/wiltonwool-carpet.html

I found that online pricing is about $90USD per yard (42" width).

I also found an ebay seller that makes all sorts of carpets for Ferrari's including the 400 series:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/224671463109

The carpet quality is fine, but it is certainly not Wilton wool and the heel pads were made from material and not rubber like the originals. However, the current listing indicates that the heel pads are now made with rubber. The listing indicates the price is $589 and I remember the price was around $350 or so about 4-5 years ago.

Cheers,

Sam

8. Ewan

Ewan Karting

Jul 5, 2015
    Dorset, UK
    Indeed. I’m pretty sure mine are Wilton, in cinnamon. But I’ll check and report back later, with pics, when I collect the car.

9. 360modena2003

360modena2003 Formula 3

Jul 11, 2009
  10. Ewan

Ewan Karting

Jul 5, 2015
    Dorset, UK
    Schumi, Ak Jim and samsaprunoff like this.
  11. Ak Jim

Ak Jim F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 23, 2007
    North Pole AK
    Looks too nice to wear shoes in there.

Schumi and Ewan like this.
  12. OttoB

OttoB Formula Junior

Aug 17, 2013
    Palm Beach, FL
    I took mine out today for a much deserved wash, given that sunny, humid + hot Florida summer days also go hand in hand with rain - and lots of it!!!

This is how it looked before the wash - after not getting one since June - despite being driven some 3-4 times a week while my DD gets redone.

13. daytonaman

daytonaman Formula Junior

May 1, 2007
    Australia
    Full Name:
    howard pigdon
    Trust you baked them all after plating

14. SouthJersey400i

SouthJersey400i Formula 3

Mar 14, 2007
    Romulus, NY (Finger Lakes)
    Full Name:
    Ken Battle
    Not today, but Aug 4-9th. We drove our 1984 400i Auto from our Finger Lakes home down to VA,MD,WV to join the Mid-Atlantic Region of the FCA for their GT Appalachia. We did lots of driving, eating, socializing and some touristic activities. The group is great, most we had not met before. On last day I threw the upper alternator belt and we got that changed (see pic with usual struggle to get on the inner pulley); I carry spare belts on longer trips.

Attached Files:

OttoB likes this.
  15. 360modena2003

360modena2003 Formula 3

Jul 11, 2009
    They were done at a industrial plater.

What is the baking you are referring to?

Sent from my MAR-LX1M using Tapatalk

16. OttoB

OttoB Formula Junior

Aug 17, 2013
    Palm Beach, FL
  17. SouthJersey400i

SouthJersey400i Formula 3

Mar 14, 2007
    Romulus, NY (Finger Lakes)
    Full Name:
    Ken Battle
    Otto
    What wheels do you have? (Make, size, offset) Did you need spacers or was offset done to clear calipers?
    Ken

18. OttoB

OttoB Formula Junior

Aug 17, 2013
    Palm Beach, FL
  19. Ak Jim

Ak Jim F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 23, 2007
    North Pole AK
    The wheels really dramatically change the overall appearance of your car. Not sure if it’s the rim design or the wide low profile tires. It’s a great look.

OttoB likes this.
  20. OttoB

OttoB Formula Junior

Aug 17, 2013
    Palm Beach, FL
    Like many of us, we see something we like when we come across it, and then store it in our mental Rolodex... which is what happened with me well over 10 years ago when I first saw pics of the car below with the same wheels!