What do you do? | Page 3 | FerrariChat

What do you do?

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by Danysh, Apr 7, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jimpo1

jimpo1 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 30, 2001
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Jim E
    I manage the people that pay for the drugs you take.

2. BWS550

BWS550 Wants to be a mod

Apr 1, 2002
    NEW JERSEY
    Full Name:
    BRUCE WELLINGTON
    MY JOB IS TO KEEP THE WORLD " GOING AND GOING AND GOING"

BRUCE

3. WJHMH

WJHMH Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2001
    Panther City, Texas
    Full Name:
    WJHMH
    Rouge ricer mechanic & computer junkie.

4. ashsimmonds

ashsimmonds F1 World Champ

Feb 14, 2004
    adelaide, australia
    Full Name:
    Humble Narrator
    well, here's my resume, in random order:

kangaroo shooter
    software developer
    video guy
    roustabout
    database administrator
    drug's & poisons officer
    desktop publisher
    motorbike guy chasing cows
    filer
    systems automaterer
    receptionist
    GIS analyst
    bank officer
    service standards auditor (public transport)
    mensa newsletter editor
    presentation guru
    I.T. helpdesk
    painter
    data entry guy
    muleser (cutting off sheep's bums)
    mortgage settlement liaisioner (get screamed at by solicitors)
    public transport system designer (journey planner)
    stock controller
    shed building offsider
    web developer
    werd process operator
    concretor
    training manual creator (for pilots/space waitresses)
    jackaroo
    document translator
    map maker
    boner (relieving native wildlife of it's skeleton)
    tech support to other developers
    call centre operator
    data design structure consultant (or, db anal normalizer)

...oh, and some other stuff. :D

now i'm nearing 30 and looking for another career...

5. F550kid

F550kid Karting

Nov 2, 2003
    uk
    Full Name:
    zak
    Hi there,

I'm a proprietary trader for major US Investment bank based in London, speculating in bonds, currencies, commodities, equity indices. Great fun most of the time but can be soul destroying at others. 550 was my treat for the soul destroying moments.

Zak.

6. coachi

coachi Formula 3

May 1, 2002
    SC USA
    I retired from coaching soccer in 1994 at my university, and devoted my attention to my businesses...real estate and college bookstores (have two)
    www.tigersports.com

7. Tyler

Tyler F1 Rookie

Dec 19, 2001
    dusty old farm town
    Full Name:
    Tyler
    LMAO....watching retiredat21 crash and burn was hilarious.:)

My occupation: I sell things.

8. LAfun2

LAfun2 Three Time F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    California
    Full Name:
    Ryan

Certainly one of the more recent highlights :D

9. Modificata

Modificata F1 Rookie

Apr 27, 2003
    Hampton, England
    Full Name:
    Andy Rasool
    Full Time: Project Manager (Investment Management)

Plus various investments inc property and food retail.

10. DrStranglove

DrStranglove FChat Assassin
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Google Maps
    Full Name:
    DrS

Director of what??

DrS

11. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift
    I'm a network janitor. Nobody cares what I'm doing until the zeros and ones quit flowing. I also pick up a royalty check once in a while for banging on a typewriter.

12. Kevallino

Kevallino Formula 3

Feb 10, 2004
    Mid-Ohio
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    ...at least in private company M&A. I was with one of the Big Four Banks in Sydney for a number of years chasing deals in the mid market and it was OK but not phenomenal. But I didn't work very hard, either. This would not be the norm - my wife worked at the "millionaire factory" for a while and apparently they work hard there - either actually generating fees or ar$elicking for bonuses and promotions - so the hours can be quite long.

Now I do litigation consulting in America - testify as an expert witness about what went wrong when deals fall apart and how much it will cost the other side to make it all better.

Best job in the world.......

Cheers
    Kevin

13. F550kid

F550kid Karting

Nov 2, 2003
    uk
    Full Name:
    zak

Hi there,

It really depends what you do for an investment bank. if you work in M&A or equivalent then it can be really long hours and laborious but you can certainly get paid well for big deals that you work on and get satisfaction from closing a deal. The trading and sales side is a completely different world altogether with a high vibe on the trading floors and instant gratification from pulling in deals(sales) or from speculating on price moves(trading).

I work in trading although on the non customer side which we call proprietary trading. I use the firms capital to speculate in the worlds markets for currency,bonds etc. Its a fascinating insight to global economics and psychology of other individuals but primarily of oneself.
    The financial rewards can be spectacular if you are successful but some people cant take the stress of the day to day uncertainty of whether you are going to be profitable or not and the sense of only ever being as good as your last year in the market.

suceess in trading does not equate to intelligence at all and many sucessful academics/mba fail miserably in trading whilst many non academics seem to thrive.

Its all about dealing with emotions...fear and greed and self understanding. An unending quest where the market and p/l is your barometer for testing yourself.

zak

14. matkat

matkat Formula 3

Mar 18, 2003
    Scotland
    Full Name:
    Dave McGuire
    Aircraft asset management.(and pretty much anything else in the airline industry)

15. Suzyq

Suzyq Karting

Mar 4, 2004
    domestic deity

16. Michael

Michael Formula Junior

Oct 29, 2001
    Nevada
    Full Name:
    Michael
    This is fascinating stuff, Car and Driver did an article on this a few months back.

Currently, I convince people that they need wireless data and voice services. The industry created a monster within itself with "free" this and "free" that. Now we increased the customers expectation that they should receive everything for free and it now becomes a race on who gives out the free stuff as the ultimate qualifying question upon initial contact. Creating consumers who judge product not on it's intrinsic value or who value service (i.e. network quality, customer service support, etc but rather who has the cheapest price. Our company is trying to reverse that trend and it's a slippery slope.

17. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
  18. atheyg

atheyg Guest

Interesting

How do you guys determine your trades? Do you look at the short term trends and go with the flow? Trade the opposite of the paper? Do you day trade or hold positions longer?

19. UroTrash

UroTrash Three Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Jan 20, 2004
    Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Clifford Gunboat
    I'm a pecker-checker (professional, not recreational.....)

20. F550kid

F550kid Karting

Nov 2, 2003
    uk
    Full Name:
    zak

Hi,

It varies so much and depends on the individual...on my desk we have guys who trade based on the long term economic fundamentals expecting a major price move that will occurr at some future point and therefore are willing to wait for a long time and even hold positions that are already working for a long time. some guys only look at the charts and trade very short term looking for moves over a few days or even intrada day. Sometimes a market has moved too much intradday and so you try and fade the move for a correction that may only last a few hours.

some guys will only have one position on at any one time in huge size and all their concentration is with that one trade.

I tend to run a portfolio of short and long term trades and a mix of technical and fundamental positions. I try to ensure that no one trade will dominate my daily p/l. that allows me to accumulate p/l on a more steady basis and keeps me sane. I love my sleep and the last thing i need is to sit up all night watching my ticker to see how my postiona are doing in Tokyo time.

Once again it all comes down to trying to undersatnd what kind of person you are and where your mental weaknesses are. trying to be something you are not is the quickest way to trading ruin. Believe me I have seen some spectacular blowups in the last 14 years.

Zak.

21. UroTrash

UroTrash Three Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Jan 20, 2004
    Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Clifford Gunboat

"Retired from coaching"...... Coach, you make it sound like just another job...... You brought more glory to Clemson Athletics than any other coach ever, including Frank Howard!

22. Spasso

Spasso F1 World Champ

Feb 16, 2003
    Land of Slugs & Moss
    Full Name:
    Han Solo
  23. atheyg

atheyg Guest

Thanks, always interesting to hear from a pro.

24. dherman76

dherman76 Formula Junior
    Owner

Feb 25, 2004
    Boston
    Full Name:
    Darren Herman
    Finishing up my senior year (graudating in May 2004) at Skidmore College

However, I've been an entrepreneur since I was 14 years old, in the web design, hosting, server management arenas. Moved into entertainment and currently run a music booking and management agency also offering creative/business services to musicians.