What do you guys do for a living to own Ferrari's at such a young age? | Page 3 | FerrariChat

What do you guys do for a living to own Ferrari's at such a young age?

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by Z400Central, Dec 24, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. SRT-10

SRT-10 Rookie

Dec 16, 2003
    Greater Boston
    PSALMS 112

Merry Christmas!

2. isellpower

isellpower Formula Junior

Nov 30, 2003
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Jason
    Get some kind of college degree then concentrate on your own business. I own a medium sized custom home building company. I have been successful because of the god given talent to design homes. While my degree is in engineering, I have surpassed many other builders with in-house architects. I am 33 and just purchased a 355. A 360 or TT911 in the next 3 years.

If you can, avoid my line of work at all costs. At the end of the day my mind is such mush I can't tell the difference between my 355 or my F350.

3. isellpower

isellpower Formula Junior

Nov 30, 2003
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Jason
    Get some kind of college degree then concentrate on your own business. I own a medium sized custom home building company. I have been successful because of the god given talent to design homes. While my degree is in engineering, I have surpassed many other builders with in-house architects. I am 33 and just purchased a 355. A 360 or TT911 in the next 3 years.

If you can, avoid my line of work at all costs. At the end of the day my mind is such mush I can't tell the difference between my 355 or my F350.

4. FerrariFlip

FerrariFlip Karting

Dec 19, 2003
    Bonaire,Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Philippe Haak
    They just have rich parents or they had a big face lift

5. GDautosport

GDautosport Formula Junior

Nov 5, 2003
    NJ

Sorry, it didnt come out the way i meant.

Basically I'm saying that in a given situation, it would be easier to afford a ferrari without having a wife and kids.

(btw, I'm not saying that this is the right thing to do to get a ferrari, but merely saying that its easier).

6. jonesn

jonesn Formula Junior

Nov 2, 2003
    STL-MO
    Full Name:
    Evan "Trouble" Jones
    My folks do the same thing, and they've told me many many times not to try and continue the company when I finish school. It's a tough business.

7. NYJETSFAN

NYJETSFAN Formula 3

May 11, 2001
    Kalifornia
    Full Name:
    Jr
    I did it the old fashion way, started a couple of businesses and worked my tail off and got married and had kidds,

does that still count????

8. Jet-X

Jet-X F1 Veteran

Nov 2, 2003
    Orange County
    Full Name:
    Brian

If your wife/girlfriend doesn't work, sure, that'd be correct. Otherwise, not necessarily true

9. Nationaltec

Nationaltec Karting

Dec 22, 2003
    North County
    Full Name:
    Patrick
    Nothing wrong with hard work while raising a family. I'm a stubborn X-New Yorker who was working in his dad's deli at age 9. Long hours and hard work but I learned to save and appreciate a hard effort.

I've started several companies but this last time I was determined to help everyone around me. My rule is "treat your employee's like your best customer" and make them love it. I'm a motivator and have never fired anyone in eight years, nor had anyone quit. (other than family relocation).

Good things come to good people and an F-car is one of them! but dont let it come at anyone's expense. Everyone should get what they want.

I'm no salesman (elec eng) but if anyone needs a little pep talk I'm all ears if needed.

" if your not part of the solution, then your part of the problem "

that says it all as far as I'm concerned...
    Patrick

10. JOEV

JOEV F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 6, 2003
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Joe
    I'm curious about the Rich Dad/Poor Dad book. I had never heard of it, so I looked it up on Amazon and it seems that there is a series of books by this same author, including "Cashflow Quadrant", "Guide to Investing" etc. (and a whole lot more incl. a boxed set).

I don't want to get suckered into buying all of his books because the cynic in me tells me that the author's key to financial freedom is to keep pumping out books that his disciples feel that they must buy.

So here's the question: Which one (or two) are the most valuable?

Thanks

Joe

11. benedict

benedict Formula Junior

Nov 6, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Ben
    Although I've read nearly all of them, "Rich Dad, Poor Dad" and "Cash Flow Quadrant" are really the only ones worth reading in my opinion. "Tax Loopholes for the Rich" was good but didn't teach me anything I didn't already know. Like most "sequels", the rest of the books are the same warmed-over rehash of the original material.

Ben

12. jeffdavison

jeffdavison F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 29, 2002
    Suwanee Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jeffrey Davison
    retired, live off interest after selling business :)

13. JOEV

JOEV F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 6, 2003
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Thanks Benedict - much appreciated.

Joe

14. pdiack

pdiack Karting

Nov 19, 2003
    Benedict hit it right on - Rich Dad, Poor Dad and Cash Flow Quadrant are the two best books - the rest are a supporting cast.

My .02c to this issue is simply this - don't waste too much time analyzing what to do/how to do it/when to do it - just get out there and do something to propel yourself forward - if anything the experience will be invaluable. I have friends who look at what I've done (started and sold 3 businesses in the last 5 years) and they still whine that the opportunities aren't there...bull*** - they just don't want to get off their ass and follow their instincts....

15. Darolls

Darolls F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Jul 2, 2003
    Full Name:
    Sparky
    And find something you enjoy doing!

Don't get into a job because of money. If you hate working at that job, the money isn't worth it.

Look at what you love doing, and gear your goals toward that!

What is most satisfying in life is that you can't wait to get up in the morning and ply your trade; that's more satisfying than wealth, or owning any tangible object!!

I HAVE SPOKEN! :)

16. Darolls

Darolls F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Jul 2, 2003
    Full Name:
    Sparky
    Sheesh......I meant to say "Unemployed for more than 20yrs."

I'm not THAT old! :)

17. PSP

PSP Formula Junior

Mar 31, 2001
    Lake Forest, CA USA
    Full Name:
    Patrick S. Perry
    I've found that methamphetamine is easier to deal with since it can be made locally and doesn't require expensive and hazardous importation issues ;)

(Actually, I have a communications company and a construction company)

18. Peter

Peter F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 21, 2000
    B.C., Canada
    • I'm 27 now
    • Bought my Ferrari at 24
    • I slap hot metal together, swing hammers and twirl wrenches...

...Damn, I just realised you mentioned 360's and 575's... Sorry I only have a 308 GT4

;-)

19. Peter

Peter F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 21, 2000
    B.C., Canada
    Forgot to mention in my post:

And I'm happy too!

20. kenneth

kenneth Formula Junior

Oct 26, 2002
    Hong Kong SAR
    Full Name:
    KCCK
    Get an education, my friend. You will not regret it. Learning stays with you forever.

What is the point of owning the flashiest car in town, if your personality is just as shallow as the seawater upon the sand?

21. francisco j. quinones

francisco j. quinones Formula Junior

Aug 28, 2002
    Panama City,FL
    Full Name:
    Francisco J. Quinones
    Thanks Jet-X,I went to an interview today, maybe (hopefully) start monday.
    Frankie.

22. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    I'm still not an owner yet, but Ferraris became the carrot that drives me to excel in school. I'm in law school now as I wanted to finish a graduate degree before entering the workforce (personal fulfillment) - but I'm set on being part of the 'ownerforce' as soon as possible. I was an Int'l Mgmt undergrad and loved entrepreneurial ideas and creativity, something that has been severely stifled by law school... but I see it as a credential in the end - I'll practice for a while to gain experience and see if it fits, but I also have a drive to get into real estate on the side; we'll see what happens with that.

The Rich Dad books are excellent to get general principles, but must be taken with a grain of salt and can be very oversimplified. I really liked playing the Cashflow game (don't pay full price for it though), it taught a lot of wealth principles and opens your eyes about why some people are rich and some slog paycheck-to-paycheck their whole lives.

I'll just reinforce the getting married/kids thing: getting married made me step it up a notch in my academic performance and overall character improvement - if you marry the right person (someone who is supportive and brings out your best), it can be a great stabilizing force in your life. My wife was NOT enthused about the Ferrari thing at first (while dating), but has since warmed up to it and realizes that some nice things don't mean completely worldly/materialistic people. She now lets me go and enjoy my hobby and is open to me getting myself a Ferrari.

23. Evolved

Evolved F1 Veteran

Nov 5, 2003
    LOTS of people are going to tell you that you'll fail and it's not worth trying. Don't listen to them. Ever.

Never take advice from someone who failed where you are trying to succeed. They will invariably blame others and other factors for THEIR failure. I have found you will not learn anytihng from these folks. The only failures you will learn from are your own. So get out there and fail spectacularly. You'll learn something worthwhile and the second business will be a success.

Perserverence is worth far more then intelligence.

Take advice from and surround yourself with other successful people. Success breeds success.

24. F550kid

F550kid Karting

Nov 2, 2003
    uk
    Full Name:
    zak
    Hi, My one piece of advice is ...Dare to dream and think that you can attain it....then go and attain it.

I was a dentist on the 28th floor of a medical school overlooking the 'city' in the late 80s as the stockmarket big bang took off in london.

I saw the the film Wall Street and from then on wanted to become a trader for one one of the bulge bracket firms. Now 14 yrs on after qualifying as a dentist and joining a bank as a trainee and working through some tough times I am now a proprietary trader at the worlds premier investment bank speculating in the bond,fx and commodities markets.

I can hardly belive its happened but the one thing I noticed that was different about me from the other far more talented graduates on the way was that I was alaways a bit of a dreamer and could recognise opportunities from people I met along the way. About 4 or 5 times I can pinpoint one conversation with different persons that were instrumental to where I wanted to get to and changed my life. So many others miss the latent potential of interacting.

Zak