What do you like and dislike most about your 458/488? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

What do you like and dislike most about your 458/488?

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by CrapsLuckyDice, Aug 1, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. HX_Guy

HX_Guy Karting

Jun 23, 2019
    Full Name:
    Val B
    You guys do know that if you press and hold the turn signals for about a second or so, vs a quick tap, they blink 3X and then turn off automatically right? Should be used this way when changing lanes, vs quick tap so they stay on while making a left/right turn. :)

Graz, Hardistyfezza and Clay512TR like this.
  2. Hopeful

Hopeful Karting

May 31, 2019
    Vero Beach, FL
    Full Name:
    Tony M.
    Yeah, first few days driving my 488 spider I kept mashing the signal buttons harder and longer trying to get them to stay on but they just kept going off after 3 blinks. Doh. Decided to read the manual. Tap for a normal turn, hold a bit longer for changing lanes because on a lane change you don't turn the steering wheel far enough to kick the blinkers off.

3. randkin

randkin Formula 3
    BANNED

Aug 2, 2015
    Somis, CA
    Full Name:
    Randy
    That is the type of "new tech" I really dislike on new vehicles the old stalk worked fine and the new change is not an improvement. Just seems to be change for the sake of change which IMO serves no purpose. But if that is the worse complaint then I would not get very excited. :rolleyes:

LVP488 and KC360 FL like this.
  4. HX_Guy

HX_Guy Karting

Jun 23, 2019
    Full Name:
    Val B
    I dont know, I kind of like the blinkers on the steering wheel. I find they kind of make sense...only reason to dislike them is because you're not used to them being there and muscle memory wants to go to the stalk, but from a practical standpoint it makes more sense than a stalk I think. Plus its cool as hell, feels like driving a race car lol.

Clay512TR likes this.
  5. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley
    That’s my only gripe also. Some say you get used to it, and others prefer the rapid, albeit twitchy response.
    But in serious driving on a track, it can be hard to modulate the throttle in long, sweeping turns (like the Carousel at Sonoma) where you want to be on the throttle. Even above 40 mph.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat

6. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley
    Yes, but I think it should be the other way around. Short press, 3 blinks. Long press, they stay on.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat

tekaefixe likes this.
  7. Steinhart

Steinhart Formula Junior

May 21, 2019
    Scottsdale, AZ, USA
    #32 Steinhart, Aug 4, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 4, 2019
    I would greatly appreciate knowing how stream bluetooth music in my 458 Spider. I'm not anywhere near your level of knowledge so please explain in basic terms what I need to get and how to install it. I have an iPhone 6 plus, but I would get what is required. Many thanks!

Regarding the car in general, it's by far the most FUN car to drive I have ever experienced. I agree with all the comments about the negatives, but to be honest they don't really matter and I don't even think about them because the car is just so awesome to drive.

8. Steinhart

Steinhart Formula Junior

May 21, 2019
    Scottsdale, AZ, USA
    yes, I agree, well said

9. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Start here:)

I can't remember if Bluetooth was standard or an option. But check and see if you have it.

AlfistaPortoghese likes this.
  10. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO

Here is my take on stereo. Always been into it, yes audiophile in car audio. Basically my way was pick the right car for the audio. Not the other way around. Ferrari just wont give me what I have achieved , so leave it alone and live with what Ferrari offers , ordinary .

FYI my BMW 318is was Australasian champion, with a install I did 100% and cost about $100,000. Not for the faint hearted

hgoodwiniii and Il Co-Pilota like this.
  11. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Alternatively, you can connect one of these to your 30 pin apple connector in the glove compartment if you have that option.https://www.amazon.com/Bovee-Wireless-Bluetooth-Interface-Integration/dp/B00B52LLJ6

If your car is too early to have music playback via bluetooth, and you don't have the 30 pin ipod connector either, you need to see your dealer and find out if it can be retrofitted or a new head unit installed.

12. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Agreed.

Would love to hear more about that system at some point.

Had my hands in quite a few nice SQ builds back in the late 90's and on to the mid 200X's.

13. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    I got bovee to work 70% of the time. Not sure what Ferraris issue is with their below grade suppliers of technology.

Il Co-Pilota likes this.
  14. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

Love this. Interestingly i want to upgrade the steering wheel on my FF to LED and some members are like...nah not needed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

15. PhilNotHill

PhilNotHill Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa
    I believe it is needed on a 458. The engine revs so fast that you really can’t look down at the tach. Lack of LED wheel will hurt resale IMVHO.

The lights come on about 5,200 rpm and max out about 8,800 rpms.

16. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    I’d get the exhaust before LED on the FF.

On the 458’s you can easily learn to shift via sound of the engine after an hours drive. But leds look cool.

17. KC360 FL

KC360 FL Formula 3

Jun 20, 2017
    Melbourne Florida
    Full Name:
    KGC
    "change for the sake of change". This, exactly. First time I drove a 458 I felt this way on a multitude of things. Decided my old 360 was more engaging and enjoyable-- despite the 458 is a drop dead gorgeous car. Tech to a point is great. Too much disenfranchises me.
    The 458 has a key for the ignition. But still a button to start the engine? One more turn of the key will do it for me.

18. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO
  19. Michaelw488

Michaelw488 Karting

Mar 20, 2018
    Full Name:
    Michael W
    488 spider-bothersome rattle in front center of roof
    A/C-on auto fan spontaneously will slow down make hissing noise funky smell then return to normal
    Turn signals are hard to see.
    Hard to find horn Anyone relate toA/C issue(appreciate help)
    Pros sexy looking
    Love the sound baffles permanently open
    Handles great
    Torque
    A lot of Fn fun

20. PCJR

PCJR Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2007
    PA

458 basic sound system is brutal! Not sure if the upgraded system is much better.

21. HX_Guy

HX_Guy Karting

Jun 23, 2019
    Full Name:
    Val B
    Likes? Just about everything! :)

Only dislike really is that Im either a tad tall for the car (6'0"), or the way I drive doesnt match the ergonomics. I like to have the steering wheel position at the lowest possible position so that my arms aren't way up high when holding at 10 & 2. If I put the steering wheel all the way down, then I cant see the top half of the instrument cluster (tach, turn signal indicators). If I adjust it up to where I can see everything 100%, then I feel my arms are too high up. Small gripe to have. :p

22. kiryu

kiryu Formula Junior

Mar 28, 2016
    Los Angeles
    hmmmm it's strange so many talked about the touchy throttle. Despite online reviews and forums mine never felt like it has touchy throttle. I must have a lead foot or something, i even feel the pickup of the car could be a bit faster from the low end. The scud is the one that I felt has touchy throttle, like it just wants to go when I just want to cruise

23. 458 Spider 0414

458 Spider 0414 Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 7, 2017
    MIAMI, FLORIDA
    Full Name:
    RAY
    Love everything!
    Dislike nothing!

Viperjoe likes this.
  24. plastique999

plastique999 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2008
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Edward
    To clarify for me...acceleration is very responsive. The “touchiness” I feel is upon decelerations when I release the throttle. This is when the car lurches a bit.

Sent from my 16M

25. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    The steering wheel was designed for you to have your hand in the 9 and 3 o'clock positions. This is where you grip the wheel for performance driving. This will also put you in front of the paddles properly, and your fingers are close to the horn.

Never liked or understood the 10 and 2 position. Less control, and less safe.

Need4Spd and AlfistaPortoghese like this.