What do you like and dislike most about your 458/488? | Page 3 | FerrariChat

What do you like and dislike most about your 458/488?

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by CrapsLuckyDice, Aug 1, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. AlfistaPortoghese

AlfistaPortoghese Moderator
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2014
    Europe, but not by much.
    Full Name:
    Nuno
    That’s also when it crackles, pops, backfires, gives heart attacks to old ladies and makes toddlers run for the safety of their mothers’ skirt... Or so I’ve heard, never done that on purpose myself :cool:

Kind regards,

Nuno.

Pocty, plastique999 and pdxjim488 like this.
  2. Graz

Graz Formula 3

Oct 15, 2012
    New Jersey and Florida
    Full Name:
    Graziano
    I had the basic sound system on my first 458. It was okay. The one I have now has the upgraded sound system and there is an appreciable difference. Glad the first owner picked that option but for me not really necessary.

Clay512TR and AlfistaPortoghese like this.
  3. HX_Guy

HX_Guy Karting

Jun 23, 2019
    Full Name:
    Val B
    Personal choice I guess but I disagree about a better grip at 9 and 3 vs 10 and 2. Maybe from a performance driving perspective its different, but I'm looking at it from a street driving perspective. I have a better grip at the 2 o'clock position than at 3 o'clock. 3 o'clock my fingers are just sort of just resenting/pressing against the back o the wheel vs actually surrounding/gripping the wheel.

Another way I like to drip the wheel is palm face up, holding the wheel at the bottom. If the wheel is in a lower position, it makes it easier as the back of my hand can more or less rest on my thigh. With the wheel in a higher position, where I can see the entire instrument cluster, my hand it too high up.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

AlfistaPortoghese likes this.
  4. butcher

butcher Formula 3

Oct 19, 2008
    Castro Valley, CA
    Full Name:
    Albert
    I have a black exterior on my Italia, It is a PITA to keep it clean and detailed.

5. hgoodwiniii

hgoodwiniii Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 24, 2015
    I must be a sicko. I think I am in love with the my 458 and everything about it. :)

Wazmo, xfrgtr, Clay512TR and 2 others like this.
  6. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Of course there's a personal preference.

But objectively, and from a safety standpoint, 10 and 2 is very outdated, and hopefully no driving instructors teach this anymore.

It dates back to when cars had manual steering and steering wheels were huge - and when there were no airbags.
    Not only will 10 and 2 limit your ability to steer without changing position, thus reacting faster and more precisely in an emergency, but your lower arms are in the direct path of the airbag.

It is not advised nor is it taught anymore to drive with the hands at 10 and 2. Look at your wheel. The shape clearly shows where they intended you to put your hands. This is on only the case for the steering wheel in a Sportscar like a Ferrari. This is now done on just about any half decent normal car from a Seat Leon to a Mercedes S.

The position of the wheel in the 458 and 488 is not wrong nor bad. It's placed where it's placed for good reason, and the manufacture did so from both a performance, comfort and safety point of view.

LVP488 and Coincid like this.
  7. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    The thumb intents at the 3 and 9 position on the steering wheel is there for a reason.

IloveGT and Il Co-Pilota like this.
  8. Ash Patel

Ash Patel Formula Junior

Dec 12, 2015
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Concerning the AC please make sure it is not the AC compressor and the belt that is starting to give up, mine did a week back and the compressor needs to be replaced, this set's me back a bunch of dollars (or Swedish crowns to be more specific) - could have upgraded to a Huracan 580-2 spyder by now for the same money the labour and parts will be in total :(

So if you can save the compressor before completely blowing it out by overheating it and in worst case starting a fire in the engine department, contact your tech and let them have a check

You can read more here and see the vid I posted, the AC compressor is located right where the smoke came from = in the engine department nearest the cabin / cockpit:
    https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/458-ac-blower-fluctuating-high-and-low.575935/

Important if you're outside US the manual which I've not read says use the AC in moderation, quoted from @AlfistaPortoghese in the same thread above linked
    "Not at home right now, my apologies but I’ve checked online: Ferrari 458 Italia European Owners’ Manual, page 10 (“Driving Style”):
    “Use the AC in moderation”.

Sorry for hijacking this thread but this is a very serious issue that can cause fire.

Love the 458 but this has to be the biggest PITA - use AC in moderation when it is hot as f'¨´ck outside

AlfistaPortoghese likes this.
  9. Banzairacer

Banzairacer Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 24, 2017
    San Diego, CA
    Full Name:
    Sanjeev Thohan
    I prefer 8 and 4 for driving positions, but maybe that's just my quirk...