What do you recommend for tires on a TR? | FerrariChat

What do you recommend for tires on a TR?

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by stalwart, Jan 23, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. stalwart

stalwart Karting

Apr 19, 2004
    Snohomish, WA
    Full Name:
    Stuart
    #1 stalwart, Jan 23, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    What works well with these older cars?

Back story:

So I took my white/black 89 TR, 8100 miles, out of long term storage, had EVERYTHING done to it including a heavy. Runs as good or better than it ever did. It is still on the OEM tires, they still had air after 23 years on the rack in a dark garage, but aren't safe due to age. I have it up for sale but since it isn't moving, just a few bites, I might just take it home. Looking for some good dry weather tires since I'm never going to let it see rain again.

Thanks,

Stuart
    Redmond WA
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

blkdiablo33 likes this.
  2. ozziindaus

ozziindaus F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 16, 2012
    Detroit
    Full Name:
    Sam
    You don't have much of a choice if you want a complete matching set. I put on the BF Goodrich Comp 2

Natkingcolebasket69 likes this.
  3. stalwart

stalwart Karting

Apr 19, 2004
    Snohomish, WA
    Full Name:
    Stuart
    Thanks Sam! I was wondering why those tires kept coming up in my searches. Not expensive either, BONUS.

4. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    They are better than the OE was and there are very few options for a general purpose tire.

5. stalwart

stalwart Karting

Apr 19, 2004
    Snohomish, WA
    Full Name:
    Stuart
    Thanks, good to hear I don't have to buy junk for baby to get her new shoes. After all the expense of having the car taken apart and scrutinized, it's nice to have a bill that isn't followed by lotsa zeros.

6. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Amersfoort, The Netherlands, Europe.
    Full Name:
    Mel
    Still on oem tyres .... whoooow ... get rid of them asap ! :)

7. Enzo Belair

Enzo Belair Formula 3

Jul 27, 2004
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Longstone Tyre remakes the original Michelin Pilot Sport for the TR. The tire is fantastic, it not only looks great with nice sidewall detailing and tread pattern but the road feel is extremely modern. little to no road noise and nice traction, i love them.

225/50ZR16 Michelin Pilot Sport | Longstone Tyres

8. Enzo Belair

Enzo Belair Formula 3

Jul 27, 2004
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Scott
    #8 Enzo Belair, Jan 24, 2017
  9. Enzo Belair

Enzo Belair Formula 3

Jul 27, 2004
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Scott
    #9 Enzo Belair, Jan 24, 2017
  10. stalwart

stalwart Karting

Apr 19, 2004
    Snohomish, WA
    Full Name:
    Stuart
    No rush just yet, I so far have refused to drive it, I didn't want to get re-addicted. The original idea was to get it FULLY road ready but if the new owner wanted a garage queen, we left on the OEM tires because they still look like 2 year old tires (dark garage). If it is indeed moving to my new house it will need tires to go out and exercise, the old ones I hear are kinda flat spotted. Luckily, 3 miles from the new house they sell 91 octane (US) non-ethanol fuel.

11. stalwart

stalwart Karting

Apr 19, 2004
    Snohomish, WA
    Full Name:
    Stuart
    WOW, thanks Scott, they do look really good. Your car looks like it has held up to time beautifully too.

12. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    I have those on ours. They are several times the price of the BFG's and are no better in performance. In fact the rear Michelins are a little narrower and not quite as good a fit.

It works out to about 1 Michelin to 4 BFG's.

13. Enzo Belair

Enzo Belair Formula 3

Jul 27, 2004
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Yes they are not cheap but i like the original nature of them keeping the car period correct.

14. Enzo Belair

Enzo Belair Formula 3

Jul 27, 2004
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Scott
    #14 Enzo Belair, Jan 24, 2017
  15. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    What do you mean original nature? The car came with Goodyears that look nothing like the Michelin Pilot Sport, it was a different physical size and shape and the Michelin Pilot Sport was not even being made when the TR was in production.

Just how does any of that equate to period correct?

16. stalwart

stalwart Karting

Apr 19, 2004
    Snohomish, WA
    Full Name:
    Stuart
    Yes, your car looks well loved and pampered. Choices are a good thing, I think I'll try the BFG's for now. I'm really torn about the car, I was able to purchase my dream car when I was 29, now I'm in my mid 50's and it is the only car I have remaining, aside from what I think may be a 1982 Koenig-Specials Jaguar, everything else is a truck or ex-military.

17. qwazipsycho

qwazipsycho Formula 3

Oct 30, 2004
    Utah
    Full Name:
    Scott
    I went through this problem years ago. I chose to purchase aftermarket rims (19") so my tire choices were much larger. It also made the handling much better. I kept the old rims just in case. However, I intend to be buried in it. So who cares?

295/35/19
    235/35/19

The larger rims make the care look modern and people always ask me if it's new.

Your car is too pristine to do that unless you're going to make it a driver like mine.

18. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Amersfoort, The Netherlands, Europe.
    Full Name:
    Mel
    Very wise choice Scott !

19. stalwart

stalwart Karting

Apr 19, 2004
    Snohomish, WA
    Full Name:
    Stuart
    Thanks Scott, 19's of a simple style would look better no doubt and further get rid of sidewall flex. My car was a nearly daily driver (good weather, not taken out in forecast rain, if there is such a thing in the Seattle area) for the first two years. I bought it with 1900 miles from a guy that only drove it to the golf course. It burned oil, fouled plugs, and he didn't like it much and had ordered a 348. I put on 6000, stopped burning oil after 1000 and never had plug problems. It is now in such a state and condition that it won't be a driver except for monthly exercise and yearly oil changes.

Funny you mention that, they used some pretty good paint back then, the surface finish holds it's own with all the NEW Lambo's it sleeps with every night.

20. closedeal

closedeal Rookie

Nov 30, 2008
    California
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Great thread. So Soshry, any tire recommendations for 1987 cars?

21. Enzo Belair

Enzo Belair Formula 3

Jul 27, 2004
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Scott
  22. closedeal

closedeal Rookie

Nov 30, 2008
    California
    Full Name:
    Paul
    But they are out of stock for the rear? Now please educate me on this, on EBAY UK, I found this and it shows that it's mounted on 255/50/16 Good Years. Do they no longer make this tire?

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/710-53481-19255-0/1?icep_id=114&ipn=icep&toolid=20004&campid=5337540064&mpre=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fitm%2FFerrari-Testarossa-1986-Year-N-S-Rear-Wheel-TBE-T4-123153-%2F282050598213%3Fhash%3Ditem41ab869545%3Ag%3A3lQAAOSw7ehXSAGe

23. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    That size tire is still produced but if your car has metric wheels they will not fit. Many bought 16-17 or 18 inch wheels to replace the metric wheels to give them more options for better tires.

TRX tires are sold in the US by Coker. Have you tried them? https://www.cokertire.com/tires/brands/michelin-tires/michelin-trx.html

24. Prova85

Prova85 Formula 3

Nov 13, 2003
    So. Shore MA.
    Full Name:
    Kenny K
    File the rears under NLA if what Longstone posted here a couple months ago is etched in stone. They were told by Michelin during a factory visit they will no longer produce the rears.

25. lear60man

lear60man Formula 3

May 29, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Christian
    The BF Goodrich tires are great, plentiful and cheap. So a win, win, win.