What do you recommend for tires on a TR? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

What do you recommend for tires on a TR?

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by stalwart, Jan 23, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Enzo Belair

Enzo Belair Formula 3

Jul 27, 2004
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Scott
    #26 Enzo Belair, Jan 25, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I just read the reviews on the BF Goodrich tire so I could have it as an option in the future if Longstone stops making the Michelin available. The reviews were not good, many complaints that the tire has a boatload of road noise which sucks. thought I would share...
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Enzo Belair

Enzo Belair Formula 3

Jul 27, 2004
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Scott
    And no I do not have any ownership in Longstone Tyre, just trying to help my fellow Ferrari family members.

3. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Amersfoort, The Netherlands, Europe.
    Full Name:
    Mel
    No problem !! :D

4. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Well lets see. On Tire Rack they get 4 out of 5 stars from over 300 people and several here with actual experience on the very car in question say they are great. Against that we have the word of a Honda owner says they make too much noise but handle great, a Buick Lacrosse owner who says they don't handle, A Nissan Sentra owner who says they are too loud, the owner of a who knows what who says they ride rough and are too loud and the owner of another who knows what says they ride rough in midwest winter weather.
    Thats conclusive.

5. Enzo Belair

Enzo Belair Formula 3

Jul 27, 2004
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Well Brian I hope you buy the BF Goodrich tires and enjoy them.

6. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    I will. I have the Michelin Pilots now and have driven many cars with the new BFG and it is easily as good for a fraction of the price.

As a person with extensive experience with both I am capable of saying that as opposed to one who relies on the opinion of a Buick driver unknown to him.

7. stalwart

stalwart Karting

Apr 19, 2004
    Snohomish, WA
    Full Name:
    Stuart
    Thank you Brian, I'm ordering the same this morning.

Since you drive rifles you might like this story. Not long after my 49th birthday I was looking through a magazine and saw a Barrett M82. I asked the wife if I could have one for my 50th, since I married a Britt, I was promptly told to "get stuffed." As collectors of military vehicles, mostly armor, we spend a week camping out at an airshow with about 100 military vehicles and TONS of weapons for display. Two days earlier, my wife gave me 2 M4's for the doors of our 8x8 HEMTT truck. My kids show up towing a trailer behind the ATV and inside is a big Pelican case. I'm thinking, "Perfect new home for the M4's." I grab the case and it almost pulls my arm off, it weighs about 60 lbs . . . yup a brand new Barrett M82A1 in 50 BMG in complete USMC config., including the BORS computer.

Thanks to all that chimed in on the tire ideas!

8. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Very cool. Hope you can afford to feed it. More cost effective than an M2 though.

Did the Littlefield collection get spread out all over? Used to live near it.

9. FTanner

FTanner Formula Junior

Aug 21, 2012
    Full Name:
    Frank
    I will tell you one thing, when I am ready for a new set of tires I will go with Brian's Recommendation. His advice has never steered me wrong. Great guy and honest contributor.

10. stalwart

stalwart Karting

Apr 19, 2004
    Snohomish, WA
    Full Name:
    Stuart
    #35 stalwart, Jan 30, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2017
    I bought a lot of ammo, reloaded brass in ball, AP, and API for just under $3.00 a round. I look for sales of 750gr Hornady A-Max, my current stock was found at about $5.50rnd. I don't think we've ever shot more than 25 at one outing so it really isn't that expensive to shoot. Breaking in the barrel was a full afternoon with about 10 cleanings but the Barrett cleaner removed the copper really well. The ONLY gun the wife wants to shoot now, she shares bullet holes at 110 yards. We haven't had a chance for distance but shooting propane tanks, bottles and butane is great fun with API. With standard ammunition it had as much perceived recoil as a Thomson rifle in 45 ACP (not much) but A-Max really gives the gun a huge punch and you can hear the recoil springs singing long after the bullet is gone.

Some of the Littlefield collection stayed together and went back east, but most went on the block and went everywhere. So sad, he set it up to stay together with funding in perpetuity but the wife didn't cooperate, as is my understanding.

11. ago car nut

ago car nut F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 29, 2008
    Madison Ohio
    Full Name:
    David A.
    Yes, I would listen to Brian and a few others on this site. They have the experience.

12. stalwart

stalwart Karting

Apr 19, 2004
    Snohomish, WA
    Full Name:
    Stuart
    BF Goodrich on order for my little horse, thanks gents!

13. Casmith

Casmith Rookie

Mar 20, 2018
    Full Name:
    Craig Smith
    I appreciate all the posts and threads on this topic. I am still sitting on the fence as to whether to go for the Michelin Pilot Sport or the BF Goodrich. I see quite a few people have been happy with the BF Goodrich.
    My main reservation after reading some of the other threads is the high tread wear rating of 340 so I am concerned that they will be too hard and not as sticky and grippy as the Michelin. I would be happy to save the money on the tyres as they are almost half the price of the Michelins however as I am also in the process of spending a small fortune on a partial rebuild including full suspension rebuild it would seem false economy if there were in fact an appreciable difference in grip.
    Looking forward to any feedback on differences in grip / softness / stickiness. Thanks

14. blkdiablo33

blkdiablo33 F1 Rookie

Jul 12, 2004
    thats a beautiful tr

15. JohnMH

JohnMH Formula 3

Jan 28, 2004
    Dubai / Bologna
    FWIW, I run the Michelin Pilots on my 91. Great tires, grippy, smooth, nice ride, quiet.

Casmith likes this.
  16. blkdiablo33

blkdiablo33 F1 Rookie

Jul 12, 2004
    i just ordered new tires for my 90 tr will let you know

17. Gialllo uno

Gialllo uno Formula Junior

Jul 5, 2014
    Reisterstown, Maryland
    Full Name:
    Mark
    I put on the BF Goodrich Comps on an 87 and have maybe 200 miles on them and found them quiet and felt great. No issues and am very happy. I have not pushed them to the limit or even near the limit and have not been in rain, but am very happy so far. Thanks Mark

Casmith likes this.