News

What do you think about making new plastic inside parts

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by fana355france, Nov 8, 2017.

?

Good idea or not to offer prototype services.

1. no I only buy OEM parts even if very rare and expansive

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. yes of course depends on price

14 vote(s)
    70.0%
  3. im ready to pay for quality 50/60 euros a door switch holder for example

6 vote(s)
    30.0%
  1. fana355france

fana355france Formula Junior
    BANNED

Aug 10, 2005
    France
    Full Name:
    nicolas
    Dear Ferrarists
    Im a franch old member, owned 348 Ts,F355 GTS,4200GT,some porsches (sorry !) and now a 348TB.
    During my short experenience I understood how sometime a small part unavailable could stop a projcet of car refurbishing.

Im actually totaly rebuilding a 348 TB and had difficulties to find door switch holders.
    As Im fan of DiY, I decided to draw this part, first thinking about a 3D printing.But this part was not strong and not nice enough.

So I contacted a friend making Plastinc casting, mould injected parts.
    He have done for me this part, I let you having a look at the incredible quality ! the colour is perfect, the plastic is strong, it is not painted so never need to be painted or cleaned. And as the clips on back are known to broke I drawed them bigger. The idea is to make stronger than originale.For example the ashtray would be designed differently as we nknow this part always broke in same place.
    I need some other parts like a very very rare ashtray and we are working on it.

MY QUESTION:
    Do you think it would be inelligent to offer to the USA community this service of new plastic parts production even if the price is certainly higher than a massive production ?

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

moysiuan, peterp, Schatten and 2 others like this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. steved033

steved033 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed Owner

Apr 12, 2017
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Steve D.
    As these cars become more and more vintage, there will be a call for reproduction pieces. I see no problem in making them stronger than the originals, especially in the case of incorrectly designed parts from the factory. Concours events are allowing de-stickied cars as correct, I think. (someone may need to correct me)

I've chatted with Nicolas a couple of times, and am quite interested in what he's doing.

sjd

Bertil and StuR like this.
  4. fana355france

BANNED

Aug 10, 2005
    France
    Full Name:
    nicolas
    Hello steeve !
    thanks for your opinion. I have offered the possibility to buy it to all the welknown parts dealers in the world , the goal is to see this parts ready to go in shops not far from everibody instead of sending them one by one with too heavy shipping cost per unit. Everibody save time and money like this. Too I must say that is we produce less than 50 units, the price is too high because of mould costs. You are right, owning a vintage car is sometime source of problems when you need a part..

steved033 likes this.
  5. smg2

smg2 F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Apr 1, 2004
    Dumpster Fire #31
    Full Name:
    SMG
    look at 3D printing molding,
    http://www.stratasys.com/solutions/additive-manufacturing/tooling
    cuts the mold cost down, might help with what you're after, low volume production.

The biggest issue for 3D printing is resolution, that's unfortunately dictated by the STL file and the 'triangle soup' problem of file size. What this means is that unlike the OEM part that was made from a mold that was machined and polished 3D parts will suffer from 'stepping' depending on the curvature and file size limitations.

6. fana355france

BANNED

Aug 10, 2005
    France
    Full Name:
    nicolas
    thanks for the link.
    I tried to upload on the french platform called sculpteo.com and the price is high too and it is 3D printing so as you say, not perfect parts..The problem with 3D printing is resolution, you can always finish it, sanding the parts or polishing + sparay paint..but lot of work for a final result not so perfect . The most important problem is not the resolution but more the strength and resistance of the small clips on back.

For the parts above we used the following process:
    1 st 3 D drawing with solidworks
    2nd rintind with SLA stereolitography
    3rd maoulding the part
    4 plastic injection.

that is why with less than 25 units the fees are too high to allow to resucitate unavailable parts.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Dave rocks

Dave rocks F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    Scott is correct, 3D printing does not have high enough resolution. Far too much post-processing. Good injection molds are made from mold steels and have mirror finishes so the parts are flawless. Then the parts need coatings, such as what we apply. Many of the parts that have been NLA (no longer available) are coming back around. Some items, the new quality is very good, some are terrible. But, all from Ferrari have the soft touch coating and they will get sticky at some point.

9. Marie348

Marie348 Rookie

Jan 7, 2018
    Full Name:
    Torrez
    It seam that this men did ashtray .does someone boyght one for advise?

10. Marie348

Marie348 Rookie

Jan 7, 2018
    Full Name:
    Torrez
  11. mpk

mpk Rookie

May 12, 2016
    NEO
    I did purchase the 348 ashtray assembly from Nico in France (eBay). It is beautifully designed and molded. Match appears excellent, functionality is perfect. Will improve the look if your ashtray flange is broken and this is stronger than the original. Ships in three days too!

Marie348 likes this.
  12. To remove this ad click here.