What do you think i should do (SF of sillicon valley) ??? | Page 4 | FerrariChat

What do you think i should do (SF of sillicon valley) ???

Discussion in 'California & Nevada (Northern)' started by Natkingcolebasket69, Oct 16, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. energy88

energy88 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    West of Fredericksburg, VA
    Full Name:
    John
    I would think that an Agreed Value policy might be an exception for one's own incompetence.

BOKE likes this.
  2. ylshih

ylshih Shogun Assassin
    Honorary Owner

Mar 21, 2004
    Northern CA
    Full Name:
    Yin
    It partly depends on state laws and your specific insurance company or type of policy, but in general there's a moral hazard for getting paid diminished value when you crash the car yourself.

3. BrettC

BrettC Formula 3

Aug 13, 2012
    Calif
    Full Name:
    Brett
    Well, I disagree. Whether it is the OP's fault or not, the coverage you buy is the coverage, period. Insurance companies would love to shame their customer into taking less than the policy covers but In my experience (State Farm) they payout the coverage purchased, or certainly have for me. Cheers!

4. BOKE

BOKE Beaks' Gun Rabbi
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 13, 2009
    600 East Fremont Street
    Full Name:
    Lucky
    If you do a little research, you will find that Yin is correct as usual. Diminished value coverage involves fault. If the accident was the insured's fault, the insurance company isn't going to cover the loss of value in most cases unless there is some type of additional, agreed value coverage that covers crashing your own car.

If the insurance companies did that, you can ram stuff with your car and use it as an ATM machine. That isn't what Diminished value is all about. The insurance company pays out on the diminished value of who you hit. lol

I have had great luck with State Farm over the years. They are one of the few significant underwriters that will do agreed value coverage on exotic and collectible vehicles in Nevada.

The OP didn't report his one-car accident, and it doesn't look like he is making a claim anyway. Not the smart way to play IMHO. That's why you have insurance. Different strokes.

Caveat emptor on any used car with hidden damage from unreported accidents corrected with shoddy repairs. It happens every day. Trust, but verify.

SAFE4NOW likes this.
  5. Cigarzman

Cigarzman F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

I smell a s##t storm a brewing.

6. BOKE

BOKE Beaks' Gun Rabbi
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 13, 2009
    600 East Fremont Street
    Full Name:
    Lucky
    Maybe it was a bad cigar. Wash your lip, Kirk.:D

Cigarzman likes this.
  7. darth550

darth550 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    BOKE likes this.
  8. JAM1

JAM1 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 22, 2004
    FL, NY, and MA
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Upping this thread so Nat can post the original FoSV estimate along with the receipts for actual work done now that his car is fixed. It would be nice to have some comparables for insurance vs true repair costs...

9. daytona355

daytona355 F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak
    absolutely right. It is not for the insurance company to differentiate between the value of a claim when the owner crashes it, or is crashed into, or involved in a crash..... the insured is paid under the terms and conditions of the policy. It can not discriminate unless those terms are detailed within the policy at outset. The whole point of insurance is the repair or replacement of the subject car in the event of an accident, theft or combustion, and the payment of damages and expenses to those inconvenienced or hurt in said incident

10. daytona355

BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak

working in insurance, and having been in product design at times, the insurance company will sell their product that suits an owner..... if the owner buys the best policy, it will have guaranteed value attached, which is set upon discussion with the owner and insurer to agree the market value required to replace the car - ie, the value to which it must be returned or made up to. Of course, you can buy cheaper policies whereby you take the chance that the insurer may chip you for the value, and they often will, but it does not have anything to do with who crashed the car. It is based upon the car, the crash damage, and the blue book value of the car in the opinion of the market experts they consult. As we all know, they will argue that they found a month old 488 for $25 till the cows come home if they can, they are NOT generous with their money, which ultimately, is the insureds money from thousands of policies issued each year used to underwrite the policies.

11. daytona355

BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak
    I don’t see why he would post anything given the aggressive tone of some of the posts in this thread... I thought we were all supposed to be friends here, discussing our favourite marque and the things that effect them, with respect to each other. Some of the crap I’ve read in this thread I would be embarrassed to have written myself (and if you know me, that’s a bit rich given the arguments I have had to have in the Mercedes F1 section as it is today, but at least there we support rival teams and drivers, here we are all ferrari owners and potential targets of bad dealer practices).

Apollo 11 likes this.
  12. daytona355

BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak
    Recently, I had my wife’s old car repaired as the dogs had chased a cat, which jumped onto her Mercedes, and they scratched the heck out of the front wings and edges of the hood trying to get after it. My insurers paid for Mercedes (who insisted the car was repaired to showroom standards as I had traded it against her new E-class) to repair her car in house at full rates, to Mercedes top specification, and replaced all parts that had any sign of scratching, and also rectification work on a few minor blemishes that could reasonably be fixed at the same time..... all with no arguments, all booked in and agreed within 48 hours, and with NO EXCESS payable despite my dogs being responsible. They are happy the dogs are here as they form their first line of defence against home invasions, and save the insurer money (I get a guard dog discount!).

13. arizonaitalian

arizonaitalian F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 29, 2010
    Wyoming
    #88 arizonaitalian, Dec 10, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2019
    this thread is hard to read. So many absurdities:

$295 per hour labor fee?
    $1800 "admin fee"? WTF is that?
    $295 per day to have the car on their lot?

This is insane and highly offensive.

Why would a business not be happy with getting 10 hours work for their shop at $295/hour and call it done?

That alone is a rip off. But to then ask for $5000+ for literally nothing of any cost to them?

That is simply knowingly trying to screw you.

All that said, its a mistake and absurd that the OP didn't call his insurance company while the car was on the tow truck and report the accident and let them handle it from there. On a high mileage FF there is no reason to pay tens of thousands to avoid a reported accident. Just take pictures of the damage and keep the repair invoice and take pics of the after. Sheesh. (unless one didn't have comp and collision and only had liability...in which case one deserves any cost and grief)

BOKE, Alcav5, JAM1 and 1 other person like this.
  14. BOKE

BOKE Beaks' Gun Rabbi
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 13, 2009
    600 East Fremont Street
    Full Name:
    Lucky
    Until the OP provides documentation, it is also hearsay.

It is quite easy to slam a well-respected Ferrari dealership in a public forum when you can't back up your claims.

15. Jaguar36

Jaguar36 Formula Junior

Nov 8, 2010
    Cherry Hill, NJ
    The op did provide documentation back on post #17.

I don't understand all the disbelief and negative attitude towards the op in this thread.

16. BOKE

BOKE Beaks' Gun Rabbi
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 13, 2009
    600 East Fremont Street
    Full Name:
    Lucky
    I have done quite a bit of business with dealerships in the Mattioli Automotive Group over the years. One thing they never failed to do is provide complete estimates and invoices.

The OP has a history of trashing dealerships without being able to back up the claims.

17. arizonaitalian

arizonaitalian F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 29, 2010
    Wyoming
    fair point. That's why I labeled those "absurdities". Because they are truly hard to believe amounts...

BOKE likes this.
  18. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

#93 Natkingcolebasket69, Dec 10, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2019
    daytona355 and Rifledriver like this.
  19. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rifledriver and daytona355 like this.
  20. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    I'm going to be at the dealership today for the F8 party. I'll talk to the owners and service manager and see if they would like to give a formal response.

Jaguar36 likes this.
  21. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    By request of the OP, I won't bring this up to the dealership. A very reasonable request, since it could create more drama, and I think the OP considers the situation closed.

The OP has provided said evidence requested by @BOKE @JAM1 - it is plausible his photos are forgeries, but I think unlikely.

If I were to guess what happened here it would be the following.

1) OP took the car to SVF for repairs intending to have insurance resolve
    2) SVF billed 'high' since insurance companies come back with 'lower' payouts, I assume this is part of the insurance game so to speak
    3) OP decided to have the work done elsewhere, and SVF presented that 'high' bill to him as a result.

Just my 100% conjecture. I make no claim that I know anything else beyond pure speculation. Finally, I don't see anything presented in bad faith or strange by the OP, so I think it just is what it is.

22. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    #97 paulchua, Dec 11, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2019
    @Jaguar36 consider myself in the same camp. I am having a hard time understanding why the disbelief.

My doctors always bill insurance very high, and insurance pays like 30% of their 'requested' amount. My spider sense thinks this maybe something like that.

Edit: If somebody has evidence to show the claims here are made in bad faith or anything is presented false, you are most welcome to present it.

23. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    #98 paulchua, Dec 12, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 12, 2019
    I spoke to my friend about this situation last night. He is a frequent customer of SVF, and he owns the body shop down the block (Kennedy Auto Body)

I will part with this, there are "two sides to every story" as we all know.

For me, my faith in SVF is restored.

:)

BOKE and JAM1 like this.
  24. JAM1

JAM1 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 22, 2004
    FL, NY, and MA
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Indeed, which is why some of us were looking for complete and uncropped documentation that would tell the tale.

BOKE likes this.