What do you think is required to repair this Scud | FerrariChat

What do you think is required to repair this Scud

Discussion in '360/430' started by Badabing!, Jun 11, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Badabing!

Badabing! Formula Junior

Mar 30, 2014
    NYC
  2. BAD430BENZ

BAD430BENZ Formula Junior

May 13, 2014
    EL PASO , TX
    Full Name:
    JASON
    Looks like a whole bunch of damage to me . Looks like there was impact to the tire so possible suspension damage also .

Good luck on this one !

3. SoftwareDrone

SoftwareDrone F1 Veteran
    Sponsor Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 19, 2004
    San Jose, California
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Agreed. Doesn't look that bad to me either. I'm guessing it was totaled because Scuderia parts cost a fortune.

4. Badabing!

Badabing! Formula Junior

Mar 30, 2014
    NYC
    Let me clarify my question. I'm mechanically inclined and have access to a shop, lift, and tools. I can see what is broken, bumper cover, fender, headlight, etc. I will be able to see on the suspension what is broken or bent.

I'm not familiar with these cars so basically, I'm asking what is missing that I can't see or don't know about.

5. BAD430BENZ

May 13, 2014
    EL PASO , TX
    Full Name:
    JASON
    looks familiar.....i'm sure driven like a bat out of hell too

6. 24000rpm

24000rpm F1 Rookie

#6 24000rpm, Jun 11, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 11, 2018
    For track purposes, assuming
    1. no suspension damage ( actually if the mounting points of the arms are good, suspension won't cost you too much.),
    2. all harness are good
    3. from the point that the lower and upper arms front mounting point ---> backwards, the frames are not bent ( from that point forward , anything damaged is easily fixable, backwards, not so easily fixable)

Also, I could be wrong but i remember the ac condenser is on the RH side, so you are good. Also u said its a track car so you don't need a condenser anyways.

big ticket items u need and how to save money:

1. front bumper ( buy aftermarket , cheaper)
    2. LH grille on the front bumper ( can make a cheap one by yourself, like 20 bucks from hardware store)
    3. LH air duct on the front bumper ( difficult to make one yourself, so buy used on ebay, or anywhere)
    4. LH panel ( actually it can be fixed, but kinda difficult, one of my guys around here can do it, but im in china. )
    5. LH headlight ( used on ebay or anywhere)
    6. LH radiator cage ( used on ebay or anywhere)
    7. LH radiator ( can commission somebody to make one, here in Hong kong I made one for US$200 )
    8. LH radiator fan ( can use an aftermarket one, lot cheaper)
    9. front bottom floor undercover ( can make one yourself or commission somebody to do it, any composite material will cut it)
    10. front LH wheel well ( 2 pieces , the upper bigger piece i guess you have to buy used OEM from ebay or anywhere, the front piece, you can make one yourself, like $20 from hardware store)

to be completed.

I am the king of money saving so don't hesitate to ask if you think something's too expensive

now your problem is just to look for cracks or bents on the FRAMES from the front suspension front mounting point BACKWARDS. if no bent and no crack, then i'd say its still a fixable car. anything infront of the "front upper&lower arm mounting point" is moot and can use some hack job because you are not looking for asthetics.

it will involve some tig welding job but for those in the know, its easy. The most difficult part is to weld the radiator cage to the body so that the front bumper will fit perfectly.

the front hood is most likely warped but it can be easily fixed. 2 guys holding it tight and bent it, yea, its that easy! If theres some cracks (which I can't see from the pic), just tig weld it, again you are not looking for asthetics. Even if you do, for a master welder, it can be done.

7. MaranelloDave

MaranelloDave Formula 3

Apr 27, 2010
    LA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Out of curiosity, what's the asking price for this car?

8. 24000rpm

24000rpm F1 Rookie

if the car is track only, i'd say you can probably, probably go with 1 fan only. so you don't actually need the LH fan. I made do with my 360 challenge with RH fan only and it cools just as good. hoovering around 100 C in hot summer track days.

if the car is track only, unless you are involved in some official racing in which headlights are required, why do you need a headlight anyways? Just put a dummy plate there for areo purposes. I track my 360 with headlights removed because i m a terrible driver and I crash a lot. hahahha

3604u and carguyjohn350 like this.
  9. Badabing!

Badabing! Formula Junior

Mar 30, 2014
    NYC
    wow guys, love this place.

Thanks for the info and the suggestions on how to fix it and the video. That looks to be the car in the video. Anyone know the owner?

10. JoeTSI

JoeTSI Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 16, 2015
    Huntsville, AL
    Full Name:
    Joe K.
    Absolutely the car in the video beyond a doubt but have no idea who the owner is.

That car will most likely require a frame pull, possibly massaging of the suspension mounting points but hard to say definitively since there isn't a good angle view of the driver's wheel and orientation. Everyone else covered what else is needed for repair but it won't be cheap at all. Doable, yes....cheap, no.

sainthoo likes this.
  11. BAD430BENZ

May 13, 2014
    EL PASO , TX
    Full Name:
    JASON
    11:00 mark of the video starts an idea of what could be wrong

12. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    Given the mounting points for the suspension are the most important element of the repair, an inspection on their condition would be paramount IMHO.

Whether I'd EVER buy a car driven by a bunch of poser youtube losers is another issue altogether.

13. Rosso328

Rosso328 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 11, 2006
    Central FL
    Full Name:
    Paul
    All of the above, yes.

Frame damage would be my big concern though.

sainthoo likes this.
  14. 24000rpm

24000rpm F1 Rookie

the 360/430 platform's suspension is rather well design, IMHO, because, when you had an accident, even if you bent the arms, the mounting points would be still intact. This is coming from real world experience as a terrible track day lover who had quite a few incidents that bent a lot of places of the car BUT YET TO damage any mounting point or main frame.

15. BAD430BENZ

May 13, 2014
    EL PASO , TX
    Full Name:
    JASON
    o_O

John_K_348 likes this.
  16. ring007

ring007 Karting

Oct 13, 2008
    Let me know if you don’t buy it. I’m interested.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

17. Gated

Gated Formula 3

Dec 21, 2009
    No airbag deployment...doubt the impact was hard enough to bend the frame. All the visibly damaged bits are very delicate.

18. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    10:30 "That was so dope." + stickers on doors = posted as above. :)

John_K_348 likes this.
  19. I'm 360 Canuck

I'm 360 Canuck Formula 3

Nov 21, 2015
    Ontario, The Real One in Canada
    Full Name:
    Lars!
    I personally think cars like this are totalled not entirely because of physical damage, but because of “resale damage”.

John_K_348 and Allazurra like this.
  20. Flea7

Flea7 Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 25, 2010
    PNW
    Full Name:
    SKIM
    I wouldn't be afraid in taking on this project. Of course it really depend on what they want for it.
    If you worried about resale value...well, this car is not for you.

21. 24000rpm

24000rpm F1 Rookie

i'd buy it for 50-100k , depending on what were damaged.

if somebody sells this for 40k, I think this car is for everyone.

John_K_348 likes this.
  22. Etcetera

Etcetera Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 7, 2003
    Full Name:
    C9H8O4
    As a friend of mine says, never trust a grown man who wears his baseball cap on backwards.

arizonaitalian and John_K_348 like this.
  23. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    #23 f355spider, Jun 12, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2018
    I recall the 360 Spider that was repaired by a bodyshop in Portland, OR. They wanted to show off their abilities by hosting live repair sessions on their website. Leif's or something like that....similar front end damage, but when they removed the seats to inspect the frame they found the center tunnel had a buckle. They tried straightening with a Car Bench frame machine...then gave up. Site was dormant for a few months, then they came up with the ideal of cutting the bad part out and stitching in a section cut from another car. I think the project took close to a year.

Like others said, its the stuff you can't see that could get you. I just noticed the dead pedal inside the car is all pushed back into the drivers footwell (11:23)....that was quite impact

John_K_348 likes this.
  24. Carnut

Carnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Gladwyne PA
    Full Name:
    Morrie
    It is a Copart car, I got an email on it yesterday. It is going to be auctioned off. In the past the prices cars like these bring is way too high, (I was bidding on MB GT a ways back and it sold for about what I could buy a clean titled one for), which leads me to believe these cars are bought for parts, not to be put back on the road.

25. John Stevens

John Stevens Karting

Feb 10, 2018
    Full Name:
    John Stevens
    If the front sub frame is ok then it just needs the n/s front frame/bodywork replacing. However, it depends whether or not the suspension has taken a hit & whether there's any damage to the casting. Casting replacement, major job, should only be carried out by approved repairer with proper equipment (jig brackets/factory trained repairer). Strickly speaking the n/s front frame should also be replaced on the jig but can be done off.