What do you think of the Alfa Romeo Giulietta SS | Page 2 | FerrariChat

What do you think of the Alfa Romeo Giulietta SS

Discussion in 'Other Italian' started by philt68, Dec 28, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. philt68

philt68 Formula Junior

Aug 26, 2008
    new york city

The blue is lovely..do you mind me asking what it sold for?

2. ColdWater

ColdWater Formula Junior

Aug 19, 2006
    bicoastal USA
  3. jmn

jmn Formula Junior

Jan 31, 2005
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    jmn
    THe problem with the SS is that it is unusual and sort of pretty, but not much fun to drive. They are pretty heavy compared to other cars with the same motor. I much prefer Giulietta/Giulia Spider Veloces which are not quite as unusual looking, but more fun to drive.

4. velocetwo

velocetwo F1 World Champ

Dec 11, 2006
    Left Coast
    You could work the engine a bit more, but the Alfa is a funny car in that all the components are lightweight, yet the bodies weighed a ton. End result was still a heavy car. I guess thats why the Zagato's are so nice.

5. ColdWater

ColdWater Formula Junior

Aug 19, 2006
    bicoastal USA
    Per the Giulietta owners' manual:

weight horsepower

860 kg 114 HP SAE sprint speciale
    895 103 sprint veloce
    865 103 spider veloce
    880 91 sprint
    860 91 spider
    770 114 sprint Zagato

The SS and sprint Zagato have a more highly tuned engine, that can make the car feel sluggish if not driven aggressively. Keep the revs up, and the higher performance is noticeable.

The spider veloce in the Gooding sale was also mine, and was one of the most 'together' cars I've ever owned, Rick Carey's erroneous auction review comments notwithstanding. Great fun and very easy to drive, but the SS was both more demanding and more rewarding.

6. philt68

philt68 Formula Junior

Aug 26, 2008
    new york city

I'm really thinking about buying an ss-is there anything to watch out for? Are they generally fairly reliable/simple to maintain? Any help would be top class!

Thanks so much

Phil

7. ColdWater

ColdWater Formula Junior

Aug 19, 2006
    bicoastal USA
    Giuliettas are basically simple, reliable and easy to maintain, except that parts are much more difficult to find than comparable British cars. One aspect of this is a remarkable lack of standardization. Bodies were hand fitted and mechanical parts changed almost whimsically. But then that's part of the charm.

There is terrific intra-owner support through the 750-101 Yahoo group and AlfaBB. It's actually superior to the factory warranty on Alfas I owned back in the '70s.

Problem #1 is rust. The cars were not built to last more than a few years in a benign climate. Most of the cars that still survive have already been restored, and those that haven't will quickly put you into negative equity.

Problem #2 is that years of low values have made these hobbyist cars for decades. Standards of authenticity in restoration are generally not good. Quality is generally not so good either, but then neither was the original factory product, so at least that aspect is authentic.

Giuliettas are enormously appealing, especially to those who would like to run out for a Sunday newspaper without cranking 12 cylinders into life. Really good ones are quite rare, and command a premium price.

8. h2oskier

h2oskier F1 Veteran

Oct 1, 2006
    inside someone hot
    Full Name:
    MJA
    Quirky or not you had a couple fantastic cars. Possibly the quirk is what I like.

I had the pleasure of driving 1500 miles thru the Canadien Rockies with a Alfa Zagato ( not exactly sure the real name ) and it was just awesome. Looked like a 60 year old bullet. Just so awesome!

9. philt68

philt68 Formula Junior

Aug 26, 2008
    new york city

Thanks for answering...I guess I'd ask what makes a really good one then? I've found one that apparently has had an engine rebuild, Resto in the 90's, and allegedly no rust for around 50k...it all SOUNDS good, right? Also, I wonder why values have gone up recently? Any thoughts?

10. ColdWater

ColdWater Formula Junior

Aug 19, 2006
    bicoastal USA
    Sure, sounds good. What makes a really good one is no different from any other car - quality of the restoration, authenticity and correct components, mechanical condition, etc.

Values of Giuliettas have gone up because they are starting to be sold at major auctions, where affluent collectors are happy to pay good prices for charismatic cars - provided that they are top examples.

Otherwise money is flowing into non-productive non-financial assets like old cars because economic growth and productivity have been unwittingly sacrificed to political activism. But I digress.

11. velocetwo

velocetwo F1 World Champ

Dec 11, 2006
    Left Coast
    I often see incorrect upholstery on most restored Alfa's. 2nd gear syncro is also something to check on all cars. As I mentioned before the three shoe brake pads are a pain.

12. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
    I always liked the low nose better. They did not have bumpers and had a much cleaner nose design. The cheesy chrome rear bumper below the trunk was also not on the low nose versions. I have seen photos of a low nose with a rear trunk that goes all the way to the edge unlike the really early one in the photo. The original design was the low now version also. Problem is low nose SS's cost a fortune compared to the much less rare high nose. Another point, several low nose versions had alloy bodies and were lighter. They made several dozen low nose cars.

Tom Tanner/Ferrari Expo 2012-Chicago March 17th 2012

13. damian in nj

damian in nj Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 24, 2009
    I looked at one at Bobcor Alfa once; it had a plexiglass bug deflector maybe two or three inches high mounted aft of the windshield on the hood.

I think the car was $7 or $8K at the time . . . this was in the late 70's.

14. tritone

tritone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 8, 2003
    On the Rock
    Full Name:
    James
    ...so, it was mounted on the dash top?? (jk)

More likely about 6" forward of the windshield...? Always wanted to see if that really worked at US highway speeds...

15. ColdWater

ColdWater Formula Junior

Aug 19, 2006
    bicoastal USA
    Not for bugs. It prevented the wipers from levitating over the windshield.

16. tritone

tritone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 8, 2003
    On the Rock
    Full Name:
    James
    ...so, to my question....does it work? for either purpose? ;)

17. Miltonian

Miltonian F1 Veteran

Dec 11, 2002
    Milton, Wash.
    Full Name:
    Jeff B.
    I notice that Road & Track tested a new Giulietta SS in July 1961 and a new Giulia SS in May 1966. Both of these cars have the deflector in front of the center of the windscreen (nowhere near full width). In the 1966 report, they say:

"....a small bug deflector strip on the hood effectively boosted insects and detritus over the windscreen..."

18. ColdWater

ColdWater Formula Junior

Aug 19, 2006
    bicoastal USA
    Even in Italy in the '50s, the cost/benefit of keeping bugs off the windshield doesn't justify mounting a deflector on every unit of a production car. The windshield is relatively close to horizontal (for those days) and they hadn't yet learned how to manage airflow over the wiper arms. The deflector was a kludge for that purpose, but you can call it whatever you like.

Does it work for that purpose ? Can't say, I never drove the car in the rain. In fact, that fresh, perfect windshield looked better without the wipers so I never mounted them.

For philt68: http://giuliettas.com/2011/12/31/marker-360-ss-381261-in-burlingame/

19. philt68

philt68 Formula Junior

Aug 26, 2008
    new york city
    Thanks for the tip-that car is sweet, although 90k? I do like the color...

20. Grifo

Grifo Rookie

Jan 25, 2008
    Sweden
    Full Name:
    Gunnar
    The dark blue Giulia SS looks nice but the price is much to high.

If you are looking for a car to drive, the Giulia SS (1600) is nicer
    than the Giulietta SS - you could easily tune the engine up to
    130-140 hp without loosing the caracter of it.

I believe all Giulia SS has the disc brakes system i front - I prefer the
    3-shoe drums , much more beautiful and not at all as bad as it´s
    reputation.

21. ColdWater

ColdWater Formula Junior

Aug 19, 2006
    bicoastal USA
    I'd agree with one out of three. The 3-shoe drums are great. These cars are light, so the stopping power is excellent and they are very easy to modulate.

Prices have risen abruptly for SSs. Look at the charts: http://www.hagerty.com/valuationtools/HVT/VehicleSearch

The most substantive difference between the Giulietta and Giulia SSs is the interior. I prefer the former, as the car was originally designed, whereas the more modern Giulia interior seems incongruous. The 1300 engine is more highly tuned and feels it, yet the difference in performance with the 1600 is negligible - unless you start tuning, which affects authenticity, which affects value.

22. Il Vecchio

Il Vecchio F1 Rookie

Dec 27, 2007
    Near Pasadena, CA
    Full Name:
    Peter B.
    Hi,

I've lots of personal experience with the later Giulia SS- my dad bought one (s/n 381359) used in ~1970, drove it, restored it and won the concours at the AROC national convetsion one year.

Most of my comments would echo those already posted. But one already restored, and make sure that you fit! One of the reasons my dad sold our SS was that I grew to be 6'-0" (and long in the torso), and my head was firmly wedged against the roof.

The three shoe brakes (which, on the Giulia, were on the rear axle- front axle had Dunlop discs) are fine, when adjusted properly. Haldling is "vintage"- lots of body lean, poor turning circle, lousy cockpit ventalation.

I dearly miss ours...

23. mrfissa

mrfissa Karting

May 27, 2005
    #48 mrfissa, Jan 1, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    NEP likes this.
  24. jmn

jmn Formula Junior

Jan 31, 2005
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    jmn
    HA! If we are going to start using Italian owner's manual to deduce weight, this is going to get pretty hilarious. For the record, Road and Track weighed a 1300 Sprint Speciale in 1961 at 2450 lbs. The SS and Zagato had different cam timing to move the torque curve up (thus the higher hp numbers), but little else of significance. I guess we just have different opinions, but I personally do not enjoy driving SS cars much- large overhang, high pmi, they are really only good on a long gently curving road, definitely more of a cruiser than a sports car, as also evidenced by their relative lack of use in racing. If I had one, I would do exactly as you have- sell it! I've had one of my Spider Veloces for 33 years and it's not going anywhere.

25. velocetwo

velocetwo F1 World Champ

Dec 11, 2006
    Left Coast
    #50 velocetwo, Jan 26, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017