What do you think of the MASERATI CambioCorsa ? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

What do you think of the MASERATI CambioCorsa ?

Discussion in 'Maserati' started by gary308gtb, Jun 9, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. scott61

scott61 F1 Rookie

Feb 11, 2004
    North of Boston
    At the service center was the car indoors? Because in a closed space it definitely seems louder. When I am driving my Spyder I do not find it loud at all even after driving this weekend with top up I find very little resonance. But I hear from others that my car is loud from the outside. I need to let someone drive my car so I can hear for myself what it sounds like going away from me. Also I have never run a car on a dyno but would like to compare a GT to what you are getting with Cambio. Might help solve the Mystery of HP change's due to software upgrades. The one thing I am sure of is the sound of my car with it's Tubi is my number 1 favorite thing about the car

2. BJS

BJS Formula Junior

Jan 18, 2004
    Central FL and SW MI
    Full Name:
    Brad Stephenson
    The Tubi is a great enhancement to this car. Hearing it as you wind through the gears or on downshift throttle blips is an absolutely wonderful experience. The design of the Tubi may have some internal bypass 'circuits' that vary the amount of restriction based on flow speeds - I don't know and have never seen any information on the Tubi construction.

To my ears, the Tubi/Maser combination is not as nice during low-speed manuevers. The high idle setting (1,050 RPM) needed for the CC doesn't allow the Tubi to rumble gently at low RPM in a manner similar to my Corvette with a Corsa catback. As you move off idle with the Maser, there's a little resonance between 2,000 and 3,000 RPM that I find somewhat annoying. My wife says it sounds like the kids with their fart cans at that RPM. :)

Making it slightly worse is the latest update to the CC software. As you begin to press the throttle, the engine jumps about 200-300 RPM in advance of releasing the clutch. Slow parking lot manuevers easily result in constant Vroom, idle, Vroom, idle, Vroom sounds. That's what the wife complains about. I just ride the brake lightly and keep slight pressure on the throttle to avoid the computer-controlled RPM bump.

I'll put up with that small nit for all of the other wonderful sounds at any other RPM.

IMHO, the absolute best sound from the Tubi comes when you first start up the cold-blooded 4200. The first 30 seconds of rough running sounds like a mix between a cammed big-block American musclecar and an F1 racing machine. Music to my ears! :)

3. scott63

scott63 Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    I recently installed a Tubi on my 2003 Spyder. The change in sound is dramatic and in my opinion, the way the car should come from the factory. At first it seemed very loud but after about 400 miles of driving, the exhaust breaks in and tones down a bit. It is definately not too loud for every day driving and even my wife likes it!! The dealer that installed my Tubi did say that my exhaust was marked "competition" and they thought it was louder than every other tubi they had installed. It could be that the factory has changed the baffle design a bit....

I would get the tubi without hesitation!!

4. GregD

GregD Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    California
    Full Name:
    Greg
    first of all, I knew you were all going to post pro tubi comments

The tubi I heard was in a parking lot outside of a bldg. The parking area of the BHF service center. They did not install it, so they didnt know the details or history. It didnt seem right. very loud and very different compared to the 3 ferraris that rolled by 360, 550, 360CS. The 360 and 550 had tubis installed.

That is assuring that you dont find it too loud even in the syder.
    I have the coupe so it should actually be quieter.

Well, Im hoping to test drive one as soon as possible and I will comment about it.

5. mbarr

mbarr Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 11, 2004
    Texas
    Ive considered a tubi, but im concerned about resonance. Let me know what you think.

6. GregD

GregD Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    California
    Full Name:
    Greg
    I'm still waiting for FOBH to install a tubi on one of their cars so I can test drive it.

In my last post, I indicated that the tubi installed on a customer's car seemed a bit loud, but I believe this may have been because the engine was cold.

I briefly heard a maserati with tubi on sunset blvd traveling in the opposite direction. It was notable louder, but heard it for just a moment as there was a citybus next to me.

I will post about my test drive hopefully in the next few weeks.

7. BusDriver

BusDriver Formula Junior

Mar 30, 2004
    Northeast USA
    I love the Tubi sound and looked into it sometime back. I decided to forgo the Tubi as I am waiting resolution on the Cambiocorsa software upgrade problem (don't want to modiy the car from stock), and also concerned about bothering my neighbors.

Since then, I have done a few track days, and maybe 200 laps on the track. As a result, my stock exhaust has 'opened' up a bit and now burbles and pops! My car now sounds in between a normal car and a Tubi-ed car. The sound is absolutely fantastic! And not loud, nor rumbly, at all!

So, if you get a chance to run your Maserati flat-out for an hour or two, that should help the sound immeasurably. After all, regular applications of full throttle is the Italian way of tuning a car.

Now if only they can restore original 2002 software to my car, I will be a happy man!

- Jon

8. Maseroche

Maseroche Karting

Aug 10, 2004
    Bahrain
    Full Name:
    Khalid
    The Maserati has been a pleasent surprise. I walked in into Maserati ownership after my disappointment with the new 645ci.
    The car sounds beautiful and I still have'nt seen the need for a TUBI exhaust as of yet. Maybe, like Busdriver, I open it up as much as I legally can and the sound coming out of the pipes keeps getting better and better.
    So far it has been very reliable and an absloute joy to drive. The attention that the car grabs is unbeliveable. Alot of people stare at the car without knowing what it is.

There's a face-lifted model out for this year and it takes the styling cues from the Grandsport. The replacment should be out around 2006 and will by styled by Pinnfarina.
    Overall, I highly recommend that everyone who is thinking of getting a coupe to visit the Maserati dealer first and give the car a chance and I am sure that alot of people would be won-over into the ownership of this superb automobile.

9. scott61

scott61 F1 Rookie

Feb 11, 2004
    North of Boston
    After driving Porsche's an BMW's the past couple of years I find it strange that Maserati is still not catching on here. My Spyder GT is by far the best and most fun driving experience I have had in my 25 years of driving. And all for the price of about what a 911 goes for. Did look at the 911 before getting the Maserati but got turned off by the ridiculous price of options to get car even close to what Maserati gives you in base price.