What does it really feel like to own and drive a Ferrari? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

What does it really feel like to own and drive a Ferrari?

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by spearchew, Feb 24, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. wazie7262

wazie7262 Formula 3

Feb 13, 2008
    Temecula, CA
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Very well said, as usual.

2. jsa330

jsa330 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Hello,

This may sound a little strange but I would very much like to hear from forum members what it feels like to own and drive a ferrari...
    I'm 23 and for as long as I can remember I've spent at least a portion of every day imagining what it would be like to step off public transport/step out of a supermarket/step out of work and cruise off in a flash red ferrari.

-It is an amibition of mine to own a ferrari (shallow I know), and one of the driving forces behind that ambition is the swagger and status that I presume goes hand in hand with having one. I hope I'm not judged harshly on that comment.

Owning a Ferrari is no more "shallow" than owning a Corvette; the desire for associated "swagger and status" is.

-Do you get a sense that people are impressed as you step in/out of your sports car? Occasionally.

-Do people generally respond positively when they realise what you drive? Yes.

-Do the eyes of young women light up...? On extremely rare occasions.

-Does the thrill of owning a world class car wear off in time? No.

-Is there an overriding fear that you might cause hugely expensive damage to your car with the smallest of errors?

If I owned a very rare and valuable model, I'd worry a lot more than I do with my 308.

Is there any underlying feeling of guilt that, by virtue of your ferrari, you are more fortunate than the vast, vast majority of those around you?

I feel fortunate but not guilty.

Many many thanks for your thoughts. You're welcome!

3. It's Ross

It's Ross Formula 3

Jul 30, 2007
    Barrington, Ill. USA
    Full Name:
    Ross
    #28 It's Ross, Feb 26, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  4. spearchew

spearchew Rookie

Feb 24, 2011
    This thread received far more replies than I had hoped for, thank you very much - I assure you it was entirely serious.

It seems women are not the shallow creatures I took them for!...

5. AceMaster

AceMaster Three Time F1 World Champ

Feb 6, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Lol....I must live in the wrong area, because I never get a reception like that :)

6. DGS

DGS Six Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

May 27, 2003
    MidTN
    Full Name:
    DGS
    #31 DGS, Feb 26, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2011
    No, that's not it. They just don't like to compete with a car for your money. :D

(Ducks, as the forum ladies throw things at me. ;))
    (And not panties. :p)

7. Steveny360

Steveny360 F1 Veteran

Sep 5, 2007
    I have owned and driven a lot of cars. Nothing to this point has fit me physically like the 360 does. The seat was like a glove. Ergonomically perfect for my body shape and size.

8. maestro8

maestro8 Formula 3
    BANNED

Dec 2, 2009
    Nor Cal
    Full Name:
    Jason
    Hey! Don't jump to conclusions here!

Besides the fact that you're making a very broad generalization...

All you can really say is that most women can't tell a Ferrari from a Mustang.

If you want to impress women with something Italian, buy yourself a nice pair of shoes.

9. Testacojones

Testacojones F1 Veteran

Nov 3, 2003
    Lecusay
    #34 Testacojones, Feb 26, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2011
    I think this photo was taken from a particular driver upon his arrival in a blue Diablo roadster as its door opened vertically... I need Shamile to confirm on this.

10. ErikG23

ErikG23 Rookie

May 29, 2009
    Chicago/Manila
    Full Name:
    Erik
    Owning a Ferrari is a great motivator, one that compels men to sacrifice more than they should. Nothing shallow about it.

11. Mr. V

Mr. V Formula 3

Oct 23, 2004
    Portland, Oregon
    #36 Mr. V, Feb 26, 2011
  12. burner42

burner42 Formula Junior

Jan 21, 2011
    Dallas, Texas
    Full Name:
    Myles
    I have wanted a Ferrari since I was young. I have a massive diecast Ferrari collection, and for awhile thought that would be as close to Ferrari ownership as I would get. Well that all changed 3 weeks ago! I purchased a 2001 360 Modena F1... What does it feel like to own a Ferrari? It feels AWESOME! The power, the handling, the sweet lines and aggressive look of the car! You cant explain the feeling of ownership, it goes beyond wanting to impress others, or feeling superior. I have racing in my blood, I purchased the Ferrari because it is basically a race car that is street legal, and a beautiful one at that! Yes the people taking photos and staring at the car is somewhat of an ego boost, and I keep waiting for the girls to throw themselves at my feet, but so far that has not happened... or maybe it did and I was so caught up in my new car I failed to notice! ( =

13. F1.360.LOVER

F1.360.LOVER Formula Junior

Dec 12, 2009
    Central Florida
    Full Name:
    Nate
    I hate to tell you this....You're going to be waiting a long for the girls to throw themselves at your feet just because you have a Ferrari. I'm not saying it will never happen. But I doubt it will be because you own a Ferrari. Just my .02. ;~}

14. h2oskier

h2oskier F1 Veteran

Oct 1, 2006
    inside someone hot
    Full Name:
    MJA
    "what it feels like to own and drive a Ferrari?"

Depends on how fast you are going

15. patpong

patpong Formula 3

Jul 6, 2004
    Bangkok, Thailand
    Full Name:
    Patpong Thanavisuth
    Most questions above concerning how people think of you or how it effects others when you drive Ferrari... Owning a Ferrari is a hobby, a passion, however, that is different thing and no relation to how I contribute myself to others in the society. Ferrari is a thing, how I contribute myself to empower people around me is love... no related... buy Ferrari, you'll love it...

16. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    #41 Texas Forever, Feb 28, 2011
  17. fgcfire8

fgcfire8 Formula Junior

Jan 19, 2008
    Montpelier Va
    Full Name:
    Frank Castelvecchi
    The Ferrari drives RIGHT.
    Some worries about where to park.
    And dont like to get it wet or salted

18. URWTDRM

URWTDRM Karting

May 17, 2006
    Granite Bay, CA
    Full Name:
    Jezus
    It's like having a 10".......

thick wallet!!!

19. AceMaster

AceMaster Three Time F1 World Champ

Feb 6, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mike
  20. JS NZ

JS NZ Formula Junior

Sep 24, 2010
    Auckland, NZ
    Full Name:
    John
    Sure, it feels like you are living in New Zealand, sorry only Aussis will know what I mean.

21. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    I own both and I agree that women like the Maser better.

22. TR91

TR91 Karting

Mar 8, 2008
    Scottsdale, AZ
    #47 TR91, Mar 2, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2011
    Do you get a sense that people are impressed as you step in/out of your sports car?

VERY MUCH SO, BECAUSE THE CAR IS SO LOW AND I'M 55.

Do people generally respond positively when they realise what you drive?

YES, A PLUMBING CONTRACTOR SAW IT IN MY GARAGE AND DECIDED TO CHARGE ME 20% MORE. VERY POSITIVE FOR HIM.

Do the eyes of young women light up...?

ONLY IF YOU DRIVE THEM TO TIFFANY'S.

Does the thrill of owning a world class car wear off in time?

NO, AND MUCH MORE DURABLE THAN THE THRILL WITH WOMEN WHO ASK ME TO DRIVE THEM TO TIFFANY'S.

Is there an overriding fear that you might cause hugely expensive damage to your car with the smallest of errors?

YES, BUT SOMEONE ELSE'S ERRORS, NOT MINE.

Is there any underlying feeling of guilt that, by virtue of your ferrari, you are more fortunate than the vast, vast majority of those around you?

I DON'T RECOMMEND DRIVING ONE AROUND IN KABUL.

23. Steveny360

Steveny360 F1 Veteran

Sep 5, 2007
    I misunderstood this thread the first time I posted. But does anyone else feel like the car physically fits you perfectly.

24. Steveny360

Steveny360 F1 Veteran

Sep 5, 2007
    WHY CAN'T THE MASERATI HAVE 4 SEATS? :(

25. ernie

ernie Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    Sure I'll answer.

When the car is running right it's great. And when it needs fixing it SUCKS.

Well there is a sort of a stereotype that goes with owning a Ferrari. People do seem to think you are Daddy War Bucks. Most owners are just hard working guys that saved up their money to buy their Ferrari. And some owners truly are loaded.

Yeah you do. I like it when you get a compliment from someone who has no idea what it is.

A few weeks ago I was pulling into a burger joint to get something to eat. three retirement age people where walking past and I heard them debating on what kind of car it was. One of the ladies approached the car and asked, "Excuse me but what kinds of car is this? It's very pretty." I told her it was a Ferrari and then she said, "Oooooh, well it's very pretty". I said thank you and we went our ways.

Most of the time yeah, it's positive, especially with guys that are car enthusiasts. Yesterday I was driving down PCH in Malibu and pulled up on a guy driving a M3 with a Hamann body kit on it. I gave him a thumbs up, and he gave me a thumbs up back and said "Ferrari is #1". We both smiled and when the light turned green bolted down the road together for a little while. A few weeks earlier saw a Lotus Elise driving the opposite direction, and we exchanged waves. You find kids in the back seat of mom's car staring and smiling.

But sometimes you will come across people that resent you owning a Ferrari. I find that pops up with acquaintances of mine that aren't very smart with there finances. You'll get comments like, "well what do you have to worry about you drive a Ferrari". Kind of goes back to the Daddy War Bucks stereotype thing.

Hahaha.

Nope.

Almost all of them don't even have a clue what the car is. You will find that the overwhelming majority of stares come from guys checking out the car, and then looking to see who's driving it.
    It can.

It really gets old when you have to foot the bill for repairs. Obtaining a Ferrari is the easier part. Maintaining a Ferrari is what is hard, and that is where you WILL need the big bucks, or the ability to do your own mechanical work, and sometimes both.

But then again, when it's running right it sure is a blast to own and drive. I still love hearing the sound of the exhaust blasting out the tail pipes. When the weather is perfect and I'm cruising down the road with the top off, wind blowing through my hair. Oh yeah, it's still thrilling.

I used to have the fear, but I got over it after a while. That's what insurance is for. And what insurance won't cover you can always make up parting the car out.

Nope, not at all.

I worked hard to get my Ferrari, as I'm sure you will to get yours.