What does it really feel like to own and drive a Ferrari? | Page 3 | FerrariChat

What does it really feel like to own and drive a Ferrari?

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by spearchew, Feb 24, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Testacojones

Testacojones F1 Veteran

Nov 3, 2003
    Lecusay
    #51 Testacojones, Mar 2, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2011
    I find many women not checking the car out, but mostly making eye contact with me and that's while their husband or boyfriend is driving them. Or maybe just checking out as in curiosity to measure the owner up, but mostly women all by themselves ignore me and the car!

By the way I had more stares, sympathetic smiles and comments from girls when I use to drive the yellow 911, but once the aero kit was installed then that sort of faded away.

2. Ky1e

Ky1e Formula 3

Mar 4, 2011
    FL
    #52 Ky1e, Mar 4, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2011
    I'd like to stay on subject but ask a different angle about Ferrari ownership.

I would love to own a 430 and can easily afford one. Money is not the issue, perception is. My biggest concerns are:

1. I have 4 children (8-13 yrs) and want them to be grounded. Although we live in a wealthy neighborhood, private schools etc., my kids are pretty grounded and I fear my buying a Ferrari will send them the wrong message. It's a real and legitimate problem. The answer is it can't be a good message but my own selfishness may win. I worked hard, built a business and want one.

2. I am active in charities. I give to our school and am active on the Board. Although I give handsomely, there will be the image of "he would spend $200K on a car but only gave $100K to the school?" Where are his priorities? I have heard the scorn first hand about much less.

3. Resentment from friends, neighbors, acquaintances. Alot of people are struggling or at least in a pinch, esp right now. Real friends are real friends, but its the fringe people that would judge. People at school, my children friends/friends/parents.

4. The people who work for us at our house (Nannies, cleaners, landscapers, employees at work) are all great people I take care of well, but many are also short on money. I play off an image of down to earth and I predict negative ramifications (wanting more money) when/if they see a new Ferrari.

5. I would have to keep it a secret from many people (all my employees/work, childrens school, etc).

It sounds like I am concerned about other people. The truth yes and no. I am a very confident person who does not care what other think when I am doing something right. The area that I am very cautious of is character and reputation. I don't want to be too flashy.

I love the car. I love the art of driving. My passion and dream has always been to race cars. I would be buying the car just for me and to enjoy the thrill of driving. I would be very low key about it, downplay it, and not tell anyone about it and (until they found out). I am still worried about the negative feedback, negative image. I knew someone who owned a Lambo, he told me he felt like a ****** whenever he drove it-- he preferred the Aston Martin. I however prefer the Ferrari-- I like to drive.

My questions after this long monologue for Ferrari owners is this:
    1. What are the negative social ramifications with friends, family, neighbors?
    2. Your childrens perception (if you have younger kids)

BTW-- interesting how when I was a kid, I dreamed of owning a Ferrari and said I would buy one if I ever could, and loved flash. Then once I could afford it, I keep buying the same color Yukon XL every 2 yrs because I don't want people to know I bought a new car. Plus haven't bought the car I want because I don't want to flaunt.

Thanks!

3. cavallo95

cavallo95 Formula Junior

Jan 23, 2007
    chicago
    #53 cavallo95, Mar 4, 2011
    Im sorry , i dont agree with you , life is to short to worry about what other people may think, if you want something and can afford it go for it, that's nonsense.

4. Mr. V

Mr. V Formula 3

Oct 23, 2004
    Portland, Oregon
    Why deny yourself?

Why wear a shirt made of hair?

To the victor go the spoils.

Period.

5. Testacojones

Testacojones F1 Veteran

Nov 3, 2003
    Lecusay
    Get the car and if anyone gets strange about it then they were never worth of your concern.

6. toggie

toggie F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 30, 2003
    Virginia
    Full Name:
    Toggie (Ron)
    Here's a short video (probably a re-post) of driving an F40 LM on a track.
    This delivers a bit of the fun & excitement behind the wheel of a road car.
    (Note that the guy is not wearing a helmet, driver's suit, or gloves - kind of strange.
    Also, he isn't the best at hitting the apexes in the corners. But you get the idea anyways. :) )

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0YPabCzxMXM[/ame]

7. cavallo95

cavallo95 Formula Junior

Jan 23, 2007
    chicago
    #57 cavallo95, Mar 4, 2011
    You live in a rich neighborhood, have nannys , maids, landscapers, but you're worried about your immage, that's funny. You work hard for your money, who cares what they think, you're the boss.

8. venusone

venusone F1 Rookie

Mar 20, 2004
    Yes, Ferrari comes w/ benefits in all the above mentioned areas. No brag, just fact.

9. sidned

sidned Rookie

Jun 16, 2010
    Northampton, UK
    Full Name:
    Darren
    Real friends will be pleased for you. Anyone who resents you for doing well isn't your friend. As long as you don't look down your nose at people or come off as superior then most people will admire the car. You have a number of staff working for you so you are obviously pretty well off, but just enjoy the car. I don't have anyone working for me, live in a decent but not wealthy neighbourhood and have managed to save enough to buy a second hand 360. It's been a lifelong ambition of mine, and I couldn't care less what people think of me for having it. I don't need it, it is merely a toy that I can afford and I bought it because I want it, not because I need it.

Life is too short to worry about what everyone thinks. Buying a Ferrari will always provoke an opinion from someone. If you would prefer to go unnoticed then buy a car that everyone else owns. If you want a Ferrari, expect people to have opinions. Luckily most of the opinions I've had have been positive.

10. itwizard

itwizard Karting

May 23, 2010
    And on the flip side, life is too short to alienate family members and friends who may be suffering over the next decade as inflation deteriorates their life savings and they have to live sparingly while they see you drive a car that could send their children through college.

I don't think it's an unwise consideration for the poster to take these things into account. Even if family and friends are supportive and care for him, one can't help but feel bad even believing that such a display of excess (I honestly don't think Ferraris depreciate fast enough to be true excess, but people perceive it as such) might have a negative effect on the psychology of those around him.

Life is short indeed, but that's as much reason to buy one as it is to not buy one.

11. itwizard

itwizard Karting

May 23, 2010
    I agree with all your points as considerable social concerns. If you truly love cars, you might want to consider fractional ownership and have the car managed by a local car club. They are scattered around the country, so you'd have to look, but there are a lot of social advantages to doing it this way.

Assuming you don't need to see the car in your garage every day, and assuming you don't want to use it as a daily driver (bringing the kids to school, etc.) you get the advantage of not having the car directly associated with you, but also the advantage of taking it out on special occasions, especially when you're going to areas that are more "vacation-ey" where it's more appropriate.

When people ask you can always say that a friend of yours let you borrow the car, which is arguably true if you're a fractional owner.

Your kids likely won't see it, nor be exposed to their friends at school commenting on the fact that their dad has a Ferrari.

I would say a greater concern would be friends and family versus neighbors. I would suspect that people in your neighborhood would also be well off, so I'm sure they would just take it as you being a "car guy" versus a show off. Depending on whether your family and friends are financially capable, it can be a strain, especially if they are struggling for whatever reason financially. With fractional ownership, however, that changes everything. The image is completely reversed, and you appear more as a car enthusiast who wants to enjoy his passion/hobby in a fiscally responsible way (which is absolutely true).

Something to consider.

12. itwizard

itwizard Karting

May 23, 2010
    In some ways, it's this very attitude that gives some people a negative feeling towards Ferrari owners. Yeah, sure "you're the boss, who cares about anybody else" is a way to live life. Realistically, anybody could live that way relative to someone else, however we all have a responsibility towards our peers, friends, and family. A boss has an even greater responsibility towards his employees and their well-being. Employees rely on their higher ups for their job security and livelihood. Each successive level brings a greater level of responsibility and accountability, and each successive level assigns more people's futures and their family's futures under your stewardship.

I think it's quite responsible for the poster to consider all of these things into account. Nanny's, maids, landscapers aside, a car is something you take with you when you leave your home, and something that has more exposure than your home. If more Ferrari owners took a more holistic view on the effect their decisions and purchases made on others, I think Ferrari ownership would be more often perceived as a celebration of passion and progress, than it would be of excess and superiority.

13. cavallo95

cavallo95 Formula Junior

Jan 23, 2007
    chicago
    He is not depriving anyone else of anything by bying a ferrari, it seems like hes taking care of all his obligations, with family friends and employees, hes being good to everyone else why not reward himself for it.

14. itwizard

itwizard Karting

May 23, 2010
    It's not the deprivation that's the problem, it's the knowledge and demonstration of disparity. There's a feeling of camaraderie and bonding when people suffer together, and a feeling of separation when there is disparity in quality of living. There's a reason why people who went to the same schools, struggled through exams and applications, and why people who go to war and sit in the same ditch as mortars go off around them become friends for life.

There's a real response to such things that's evident, and ignoring it permits you to buy cars, but does not prevent it from happening and creating negative sentiment.

That being said, you are absolutely right. Ignoring it isn't a bad thing if its effect isn't something that is a big deal to you. If you don't care about such things, that's perfectly fine, you really aren't doing any harm, however if it is something you care about then it needs to be taken into account. The poster seems like it's something that he cares about, simply advising him to "not care about it" is about as useful as telling him "stop wanting the F430 so much."

15. LamboLover

LamboLover F1 Rookie

Jul 16, 2006
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Rick
    So, whose problem is that? Certainly not his; they're not his children. If those people want to put their children through college, they can work for it like Kyle has.
    If he does as much as he claims to, he deserves every right to buy a Ferrari for himself. Other people having an issue with it are probably jealous & there is nothing stopping them from working for their own sports car. People from beyond the US have made the same achievements Kyle has & then some.

To let a sports car change your sudden perception of someone you've known for years says more about yourself than the new owner.

Just my 2 cents.

16. Mr. V

Mr. V Formula 3

Oct 23, 2004
    Portland, Oregon
    Ah, but we in the USA live in a capitalistic society, whereby success is measured by the accumulation and control of capital by the individual.

There are societies which would seem to meet your criteria: North Korea comes to mind.

Damned few Ferraris there.

17. itwizard

itwizard Karting

May 23, 2010
    Could say the same about China, although I think they're selling more Ferrari's in China than the US for 2011.

That being said, do you happen to know how many Ferrari's are sold in North Korea per capita? I can't seem to find it, but I would imagine most of the government officials would have a few.

18. itwizard

itwizard Karting

May 23, 2010
    Well he also said he's worried about the effect the cars will have on his children too.

19. Mr. V

Mr. V Formula 3

Oct 23, 2004
    Portland, Oregon
    China is communist in name only.

Those guys are proof positive that ruthlessly implemented, capitalism can acquire great wealth for the individual.

20. DGS

DGS Six Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

May 27, 2003
    MidTN
    Full Name:
    DGS
    #70 DGS, Mar 5, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 5, 2011
    Here's a shocker: People are not all alike.

We hold ... that all men are *created* equal. That doesn't mean they're going to stay that way.

The belief that everyone must suffer what anyone suffers is a formula for universal misery -- dragging humanity down to the lowest point.

Think of it as living an example: showing that, if you work hard and plan intelligently, you can determine where your "fate" leads you.

Show people that, rather than whining about fate, you can make your own.
    (Provided that you're not expected to drag yourself down.)

Show people that working hard can get you the things you want.

First on the list of "wanted things", for most parents, is to provide for their families. Once that is accomplished, there's nothing wrong with doing something for yourself.

(Even while you're providing for your family, having a few things for yourself is healthy, too: it keeps you from resenting the other sacrifices you make for your family.)

But there's no constructive purpose in making yourself miserable for no reason but to share misery.

Would you toss your own family out into the street, because someone *else* got over his head on a mortgage?

Does having a home computer make you a "snob", compared to the nations that don't have computers in the homes?

Or is it okay to live a different lifestyle, as long as you keep the "less fortunate" far, far away?

All dragging yourself down does is make it "normal" to give up without trying.

It's time people raised the bar, to inspire people live up to their potential, rather than living *down* to the path of least effort.

My family wasn't rich. I don't consider myself rich. But I have high demands on a car, and a Ferrari meets those standards.

A while back, I was sitting in traffic next to a school bus. I was thinking: take note, kids: stay in school and work hard, and you too can drive a Ferrari. Drop out, and you'll wind up driving .... a school bus. ;)

21. HolyRoller

HolyRoller Formula Junior

Dec 19, 2008
    SE NC
    Full Name:
    Captain Slow
    Denial--it's not just an Egyptian river.

One Yukon after another, same color every time, because everybody would get mad at you for giving ONLY $100,000 to a school? No el comprehendo, amigo. You sound like a truly decent sort and you don't deserve to be treated like that. Maybe you need to change your friends, and then change your car.

22. itwizard

itwizard Karting

May 23, 2010
    It's not about what should be, what's fair, or what's reasonable. It's about what is. One could drive their brand new 458 Italia into East Oakland and shout out the window "I did well, be happy for me!" then park it on the sidewalk and stand outside swinging the keys on their finger, and I guarantee you that will end poorly.

Evidently doing the same thing in the parking lot of a company you work at will have more subtle and less violent results, but I'm sure you'll achieve some results nonetheless.

Fact of the matter is, although America is a capitalistic country by declaration, the culture in different areas of the country differ substantially. Pull up in a Ferrari at a parking lot in Los Angeles or Newport Beach, and you'll have women giving you smiles and guys giving you thumbs up. Do the same thing in San Francisco, and although you might get the occasional thumbs up, most people will usually avert their eyes and keep on moving.

23. PhilNotHill

PhilNotHill Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa
    People love Ferraris and they love my car. Can't think of a negative reaction although I am sure some people think it is a waste of money. Well, it is not a great investment. You must enjoy owning it. No other car has given me so much pleasure.

That being said, I did not take my Ferrari to the small town (5,000 pop.) where I owned my business. Considering the low income nature of the community and its surroundings, flaunting one's wealth is not good for one's business. Some think you are getting rich off of them. Not much of a problem in a bigger, more cosmopolitan city.

Living in Aspen is no problem. Porsches and Range Rovers are very common here. Astins and Bentleys are seen daily. Ferraris are still somewhat rare and cause attention usually in a good way. Some just don't think cars are important be they billionaires or not. And I mean some think a Prius is the right car buy.

That being said, I am concerned about your list of concerns. Can you really enjoy owning an Fcar with all these issues on your mind? I doubt if I could. But only you can answer that for yourself. Perhaps if you go to can enthusiast events and hang out with car people your anxiety will be lower and you could enjoy owning an Fcar more. ;)

Good luck.

24. itwizard

itwizard Karting

May 23, 2010
    #74 itwizard, Mar 5, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 5, 2011
    Mm let's see...

People do seem to be impressed in general. Mostly guys of all ages, anybody below the age of 12, and single women above the age of 35. There are also plenty of awkward moments where you get back to your car and there are some people posing in front of it to take a picture, so you wait for a moment so you don't get in their shot, and then once they step away you unlock the thing and dump your groceries or whatever in the passenger seat. They're usually embarrassed at first, but quickly recover with a "I love your car!"

So far I've only gotten positive responses, but then again I'm typically also a courteous driver. It probably magnifies whatever you do. If I let somebody in front of me, they seem extra grateful, and if I cut somebody off, they seem extra angry.

If by "young" you mean under 12, then yes, all children have the exact same response, they jump up and down and tell their parents to look:p Mixed response from the 21-35 crowd. Positive from the single women over 35 crowd (which can be odd because I'm on the younger side). Realistically, if you want to light up the eyes of young women, you typically have to be good looking and charming to start, then the car usually evokes a sigh of relief that you weren't lying when you said that you're employed. Mostly it's just a smirk at your nerve to ride around such a flamboyant car, but there's usually a hidden smile somewhere in there.

The thrill doesn't really wear off, although you eventually get used to the speed. *edit, one thing to note is that although you may get used to the speed of acceleration and the speed of deceleration via carbon ceramic brakes, nobody else on the road does. There's usually an awkward period of 3 or 4 days that pedestrians sort of step back onto the curb, or walk a little faster when you approach a crosswalk more quickly than they probably are used to, even though you don't feel like you were anywhere near close to using the potential of the car's stopping ability. And of course during that time everybody seems like horrible drivers because you wonder why they keep trying to change lanes into you as you zip out from behind them to pass as if they never checked their mirrors.

Repairing small things like paint, scuffs, and dings typically don't cost much more for a Ferrari than any other luxury car. It's when the engine or transmission starts giving trouble that you start worrying.

No feeling of guilt, although I roll up my windows when I pass by people asking for money at intersections.

In general, at the end of the day, the primary benefit of owning a Ferrari is the amazing experience the car provides you every time you start it up. The cost simply isn't worth it if only for those handful of times it has positive association with you owning it. That being said, although many here will put on their "mature caps" and admonish people for thinking Ferrari's are all about "swagger and status" I would be lying if I said I haven't rolled down the windows before, cranked up a Lil Wayne song on the radio, and felt pretty badass:)

25. DGS

DGS Six Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

May 27, 2003
    MidTN
    Full Name:
    DGS
    So everyone should drive in formation, because having a clue behind the wheel would upset all the other drivers?

Accepting that failure is "normal" is not a path to a solution. It's a path to more failure.

I refuse to make myself a failure, out of fear of annoying those who have given up without trying.

So will East Oakland, so long as vandalism and violence against success is considered acceptable.

Mostly, I get people asking whether they should buy a Nissan or a Honda econobox.

Ironically, I can't help them with that. I'd never look at either one. I despise FWD.

You really need to (re)read "Atlas Shrugged" and/or "We the Living".

What people call "egalitarianism" is most often just hiding in the middle of the herd.

I've parked the 328 next to a Prius, at work.
    Did the Prius owner get angry and vandalize the "gas guzzler" Ferrari?
    Nope.
    Next to a 328, a Prius looks like a panel truck. It doesn't take a physicist to figure out that a big, heavy hybrid with the aerodynamics of a brick wall isn't going to be very efficient, no matter what pushes it.