What does it really feel like to own and drive a Ferrari? | Page 4 | FerrariChat

What does it really feel like to own and drive a Ferrari?

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by spearchew, Feb 24, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. CBS Fifty

CBS Fifty Rookie

Jun 4, 2008
    Out of control
    Good stuff. Atlas Shrugged should be required reading in East Oakland.....all schools for that matter.

2. Mr. V

Mr. V Formula 3

Oct 23, 2004
    Portland, Oregon
    You want required reading?

"The Stranger," by Albert Camus tops my list, followed by "A Confederacy of Dunces" by John Kennedy Toole.

3. f328nvl

f328nvl Formula Junior

Nov 10, 2004
    Herts
    Full Name:
    John
    1. Not really, kids love them, adults are generally unimpressed or mildly annoyed/interested depending on their preferences.
    2. Women are, in my experience, utterly indifferent, unless they have an IQ smaller than their bra size. Are you impressed by a £2k handbag or a pair of Jimmy Choos? Women are, I don't even recognise them.
    3. Yes, it did for me, but you buy another, then another marque then plan your next etc etc.. The car thing persists, the ferrari thing diminishes.
    4. No. You try harder to look after it, but it's a car, you can fix it at a large cost.
    5. Not really. I guess those who buy them (myself included) have a larger than average show-off gene, that may mitigate against any guilt. I'd never wear all that ferrari branded clothing, so as soon as you get out it could be anybody's.

But then I no longer have one, so I may be atypical for here.

4. LamboLover

LamboLover F1 Rookie

Jul 16, 2006
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Rick
    I'm sure he has the ability to teach his children that just because dad has bought himself something nice for his hard work doesn't mean they should expect any change in the way he has raised them.

5. darth550

darth550 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    Awesome, especially when you have to get somewhere and don't feel like walking...... :)

6. anucci

anucci Karting

Jan 13, 2007
    Stamford, CT
    I have the same issues and fears.
    I live in a neighborhood where many folks are struggling and I don't want to feel like a "show off".
    I am renting garage space from a collector in a nearby town and nobody but immediate family and very close friends know I have one.
    This may seem silly to some, but I don't others, who are acquaintances and not necessarily close friends resenting me or treating me any different.

7. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby

Trust me... if those same people you are worried about "resenting you" had a Ferrari, they'd be driving in front of your house everyday.

I suppose you hide your wife from single people too. They may be jealous they don't have someone so terrific.

Get out there and use what you've earned. Who knows what tomorrow brings.

Even in the Great Depression people bought Duesenbergs. I don't see movie stars riding around in 89 Taurus' to "feel the pain" of their adoring public.

Someone has to show this country that the world doesn't all shop at Family Dollar.

8. Mr. V

Mr. V Formula 3

Oct 23, 2004
    Portland, Oregon
    FYP

9. Jedi

Jedi Moderator
    Moderator Lifetime Rossa Owner

Mar 18, 2008
    Seattle Area
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Interesting to me that the OP hasn't been back in 2 weeks and has 2 posts..... all this typing, to
    answer his question..... 81 replies.... (excluding his 2 and my 1)

Just seems interesting to me. There have been lots of threads where the OP pops in for a post or
    two, launches a very lengthy discussion, only to never check back to see what the replies are.

:)

Jedi

10. DonJuan348

DonJuan348 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Aug 5, 2008
    Taxing Jersey
    I would like to chime in from a different angle also. I think your financial status could give a different perspective . Someone who would be considered wealthy may not value it as much. Its just another toy. Some one on the lower end may cherish it as his dream car.

Now, for the two post on not owning one. I'm a blue collar worker who lives in middle class neighborhood. I never want mi kids not to be ground. Someone who lives in a wealthy neighborhood and attends private school is not what I would consider ground. Its hard to be when you are surround by wealth and no one is struggling or is told no because the money is not there. Its not a snipe but mi perspective. Also, coming from another country 2549where there is third world type poverty and seeing it when visit relative there gives kids a different view. At 7 mi son is required to work for anything he ask for that is not a necessity including going to work with me when he has days off from school

I bought a dream and want mi kids to know that thorough hard work anything is possible. To mi group of friends I have a rich mans toy but in reality achieved a dream by working hard. Most of the neighbors and people who dont know me assume I do something illegal since I'm a minorty driving a Ferrari .Someone like me should not be driving a Ferrari. I go to cars shows especially if it is for a kids event and let kids know when they ask , what I do and that anything is possible.

11. anucci

anucci Karting

Jan 13, 2007
    Stamford, CT
    I hear what you are saying, and honestly I do drive my car, just not in my neighborhood.
    And I am not sure they would resent me, maybe I just think they would.
    I have worked hard for many, many years and always lived below my means (still do).
    Been with the same company for 26 years and sacrificed my youth so that I could enjoy life when I was older.
    I have 4 other cars and just bought the 355.
    And I feel like if I go parading around my neighborhood with all of these cars, now including the F-car, it would really rub people the wrong way, even if in reality, they would care less.
    On the other hand, if I lived in a much more upscale neighborhood where AMs and Mercedes and P-cars were the norm, I would not feel so self-conscious.
    Man, I feel like I am talking to a shrink!

12. Tifosi15

Tifosi15 Formula 3

Jul 15, 2009
    Austin
    Full Name:
    Bryan
    There comes a point where you can't let people rule you. Owning a Ferrari is not a crime, and it shouldn't be viewed that way. I can understand your trepidation and I can imagine feeling the same way, but in America especially everyone has the opportunity to better themselves, bar none. If you earned your money in an upright and just way then don't feel sorry about enjoying the "fruits of your labor." You've earned it, don't let other peoples jealousy ruin it for you.

13. hotsauce

hotsauce Formula Junior

Jan 23, 2011
    around
    driving one is everything you had hoped it would be, it's raw, unique, and spine tingling.

Overall it's a very humbling experience.. a bucket list item at the top of every little boys list.

I would highly suggest to anyone wanting to check this one off to go rent one or do a few laps on a track. :D

14. DonJuan348

DonJuan348 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Aug 5, 2008
    Taxing Jersey
    So true you can I let other people dictate what you do . We work hard we are car enthusiasts since little boys and we bought are dream . drive it with and sense of accomplishment . many people talk about their dream we are driving our dreams

15. spearchew

spearchew Rookie

Feb 24, 2011
    I've read carefully all replies. Much obliged - my outlook on life has shifted slightly as result.

16. URWTDRM

URWTDRM Karting

May 17, 2006
    Granite Bay, CA
    Full Name:
    Jezus
    Great points!

17. Ky1e

Ky1e Formula 3

Mar 4, 2011
    FL
    The discussion has been interesting. Everyone is different. I believe the difference in responses may have to do with:

1. What area you live in.
    2. How connected you are to the community.
    3. Your age.
    4. Lastly personal style (least influential).

If you are in a metro area, there is more of an anonymous lifestyle. You don't know the people around you. So who cares what others think.

As stated we have 4 kids and are very involved in their school, sports, friends and their parents, hang with neighbors, own a local business, volunteer locally. Just happen to be in a phase of our life that is very busy and very connected to a lot of people locally -- it is very different than being single or living a young urban professional lifestyle.

Some responses may be coming from younger, single guys in LA, whereas others might be from middle aged family men from Indianapolis-- there will be a difference of opinions. Also the more responsibilities you have, the more responsible your are (in regards to your choices).

Neither is right or wrong, just different. I myself have seen myself go thru these diff stages.

Thx for the input. I'll believe in both sides -- you should consider the ramifications of your choices and care about how it affects others. You should also enjoy life and if your can responsibly afford a dream car and appreciate it-- then go for it.

18. maestro8

maestro8 Formula 3
    BANNED

Dec 2, 2009
    Nor Cal
    Full Name:
    Jason
    Is that a typo?

The Prius has a better drag coefficient than just about every production Ferrari. Just about every production car for that matter.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Automobile_drag_coefficient

This is about the only list where you'll see Ferrari beat by a Geo Metro, a Honda Civic, even a Ford Taurus! Hah!

19. ernie

ernie Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    So..............

When are you getting the 430? Keep us posted. ;)

20. vinuneuro

vinuneuro F1 Rookie

May 6, 2007
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Vig
    Downforce is at the expense of drag.

21. tempest411

tempest411 Formula Junior

Dec 3, 2010
    I haven't looked in on this thread in a while, but I see it has become more interesting than I thought it could. I'm definitely NOT rich, but I have '308' money-TR money if I was willing to be so reckless. I don't think I live too conservatively as I and my wife eat out darn near five times a week because we're so busy, and I have a couple favorite restaurants I like to frequent anyway. But I am very apprehensive at the prospect of buying a 308. I wonder what kind of karma it would bring me. I understand that the money I make and what I've saved could be put to better use through investments of some kind, but I don't know s**t about investing. I wonder what my family would think. They want me to buy a house and have kids...Buying a Ferrari is sort of the very opposite of having kids, at least in the eyes of non-car people. For us, it's probably the same;) I think I'd only buy a house because I would need the garage for the Ferrari, even though I think the worst Ferrari is a much better value than the finest house. I do have enough for both.

In the spirit of the original question, I don't want a (old) Ferrari for any other reason than I think it'd be rewarding to work on, with a lot of enjoyment to be had for the effort. That's it. Frankly I wish if I had one that no one even noticed or cared...

Rick

22. It seems to me that the OP changed his mindset as ferrari owning being the ultimate goal and happiness in life. And so am i... :)

23. mega2012

mega2012 Rookie

Mar 27, 2012
    Owning a Ferrari is one of my unfulfilled dream too. I would love to own a bright red colored, fully loaded model one day. But seeing the rising fuel prices and cost of the cars, the dream still seems a little distant.

Anyway, if you are going to buy a Ferrari, then make sure that you look for a high risk car insurance provider, because if these cars hit a pole or something, they can really burn a whole in your pocket.

24. Shorn355

Shorn355 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 13, 2011
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Scott
    A goal/ambition to own a Ferrari is not shallow my friend - it was a lifelong dream for me that kept me from making some really bad decisions and also kept my focused on my work and went from being a completely unrealistic dream to a goal and finally a reality. The ownership experience is even further enjoyed by learning and getting immersed in the history of the marque, the racing history etc. For me it is the culmination of a lot of hard work and sacrifice and every time I see, feel, smell, start, drive, clean or even pay the service bill I have to pinch myself that I own such an amazing car. I have owned Camaros, Corvettes, Shelby's and Porsche's and while all great cars they definitely do not have the soul or passion my Ferrari does. So to answer your questions:

Do you get a sense that people are impressed as you step in/out of your sports car?
    => Yes
    Do people generally responsd positively when they realise what you drive?
    => Yes generally - some jealously and some caddiness but mostly positive
    Do the eyes of young women light up...?
    => Usually yes but depends on the woman as to why - some see it as a demonstration of wealth (it is not) - some see it as an achieved goal for which I am passionate and some see it as me being a materialistic/selfish person. Frankly, I really don't care. But yes - women do love Ferraris - what I really like is when I meet one that knows more than I do about them and shares the passion which happens fairly frequently!Does the thrill of owning a world class car wear off in time?
    => It has not so far
    Is there an overriding fear that you might cause hugely expensive damage to your car with the smallest of errors?
    => I would say it is a concern but not an overriding fear. If I wanted a piece of art to stare at I could buy it, put it in an enclosure and it would be safe - not for me. I drive the car and enjoy it - insure the heck out of it and keep money put away for unforseen issues.
    Is there any underlying feeling of guilt that, by virtue of your ferrari, you are more fortunate than the vast, vast majority of those around you?
    => No - I earned my car and am proud of it. As a person I consider myself fortunate to have a great career, close-knit circle of trusted friends, beautiful woman who is exciting, fun and loyal and good health - for that I am fortunate. The car does not change this one way or another.

Pursue your goal my friend - Cheers

25. wazie7262

wazie7262 Formula 3

Feb 13, 2008
    Temecula, CA
    Full Name:
    Scott
    To the OP: Hey! Guess what?? You're going to die. Hopefully, not soon, but you ARE going to die. So do you wanna look back, on your death-bed, and lament the fact that you never bought that Ferrari because you were concerned about what others might've thought?

You can teach your kids "morals/values" and STILL have a Ferrari; they can see through dad what hard work allows for in one's life. And those neighbors and friends who truly like you will be happy for you, and will enjoy your giving them rides, or maybe even letting them drive it. One can be a gracious, grounded and sharing F-car owner. For those who look down on you for it...eff them.