What gearbox oil are you using in your 308/328? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

What gearbox oil are you using in your 308/328?

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by Mike328, Jan 27, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

?

What gearbox oil are you using in your 308/328?

1. Royal Purple 75W-90

2. Redline 75W-90 ** NS **

3. Redline 75W-90

4. Shell Spirax 75W-90

5. Mobil 1 75W-90

6. Castrol Hypoy/c 80W-90

7. Castrol Syntrax 75W-90

8. Swepco 201 80W-90

9. Agip Rotra LSX 75W-90

10. Valvoline Synthetic 75W-90

11. Chevron Supreme LS 80W-90

12. Other (specify below...)

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Spasso

Spasso F1 World Champ

Feb 16, 2003
    Land of Slugs & Moss
    Full Name:
    Han Solo
    I use the Redline now and like the way my transmission shifts. Much better, especially cold.

If I couldn't get Redline in my area I would go with the Royal Purple which is available at my local NAPA store (of all places) and for less than the Redline.

DJ

2. Mike328

Mike328 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 19, 2002
    Boulder, CO
    Full Name:
    Mike
    For the folks who use the Agip Rotra LSX 75W-90, could you chime in with your reasons? Yes, Ferrari was aligned with Agip back in the day. Yes, Lamborhini calls for it in the Diablo. Yes, it seems to be designed for limited slip differential applications. And of course, the weights are right.

I'm pretty sure the Redline stuff saw a usage spike because a few people tried it, it worked well, and they publicized it in previous threads.

As for the AGIP stuff, does it have other technical merit? Any shifting problems?

I'd be interested in hearing other arguments regarding Royal Purple. I'm worried that it, too, has seen a usage spike because it is a big sponsor of the other Ferrari discussion forum website.

I'm interested in a "consensus" on a gear oil only if it's based on technical merit and direct, shared experiences, as opposed to evagelism!

3. tele013

tele013 Formula Junior

Nov 19, 2003
    Malaga, Spain
    Full Name:
    jesus
    Both of them.
    Jesus.

4. ChrisfromRI

ChrisfromRI Karting

Jan 28, 2003
    Foster, RI
    Full Name:
    Chris F
    I thought both preference and availability were great too!

As far as the AGIP goes, I have nothing unusual to report. No chatter, no grinding, only a little stiff into second gear when it's cold out and the car is not warmed up yet.

Kind Regards, Chris

5. Glassman

Glassman F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

I've got Valvoline Synthetic in my car because it was the only thing available here. It shifts better than ever, however I was distressed when I finally got an E-mail back from Valvoline,stating that they do not make any lubricants that are recomended for a Ferrari!

6. Mike328

Mike328 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 19, 2002
    Boulder, CO
    Full Name:
    Mike
    As much as the Redline product is lauded, I really didn't notice any improvement in shifting between the Redline and what I had before (Chevron Supreme LS, if you can believe it). I did, however, definitely notice the limited slip differential chatter. It always occurs under brisk acceleration from a stop while making a 90 degree turn, especially right-hand turns.

This is worrisome, and I've decided to make the switch to a gear oil designed for limited slip applications.

Of course, it seems that the ideal properties for differentials (slippery) vs. syncros (not slippery!) seem to be in conflict, where any given gear oil represents a compromise of the two.

7. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    Mike P. -- no need to do a switch (although it's only 4 qts in your case) -- just add 4% of the Redline Friction Modifier to convert the Redline 75W-90NS into Redline 75W-90 (I'm still at 2%, which helped reduce the chatter a bunch, but will be going back to 4% too).

8. 4re gt4

4re gt4 Formula 3

Apr 23, 2002
    Roseburg, OR
    Full Name:
    Hans E. Hansen
    Next time you change fluid, it's easier to mix roughly 1 qt non-"NS" with 3 qts "NS" rather than fuss with additive. Or whatever proportion suits your car.

As a side note, someone posted some viscosity measurements here a while back. The "NS" is slightly thinner than the non-"NS". This would, in theory, help shifting.

9. Mike328

Mike328 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 19, 2002
    Boulder, CO
    Full Name:
    Mike
    So, at fifty votes exactly (a very large sample size!), Redline NS, AGIP, and Mobil 1 by far are the majority gear oils being used.

I'd be curious to see what people were using before they were using Redline, which in my opinion became commonplace as a result of several FerrariChat threads a year ago or so.

I had no idea the AGIP was as popular as it apparently is... Since I've got a 3rd gear syncro issue, I'm tempted to try ONE more gear oil before I throw in the towel and pull the transmission. I'm thinking it's going to be the AGIP stuff.

10. Dave Bendl

Dave Bendl Formula Junior

Dec 7, 2003
    Chicagoland
    Full Name:
    Dave Bendl
    I just made the switch to Red Line 75w-90NS. Won't know until spring if diff. chatter will be an issue.

An interesting alternate recommended by my local F-car dealer, is to use a GM packaged product formulated for Corvette posi rear ends. It's also used in other specific GM applications. Their shop uses it without adding additives, and indicates it helps with hard shifting in 308/328's.
    The GM P/N is 1052271 and is packaged in 23 oz containers. GM dealers want $7.39/container. GM dealers that I called had it in stock. The package shows it meets GL-4, not GL-5 specs.

None the less, I wanted to try the Red Line NS anyway. I have a lift, so if chatter becomes an issue I can easily add the LS additive an oz at a time if need be.

11. Mike328

Mike328 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 19, 2002
    Boulder, CO
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Doing a Google search on p/n "1052271" as Dave notes, I came up with the product.

I found a few references to this product:

"SAE-80W-90 GL-5 gear lubricant (GM Part No. 1052271)"

"SAE 80W-90 Axle Lubricant GM P/N 1052271 (Canadian P/N 10950849) or equivalent"

"Fluid type — GM#1052271 petroleum based or GM#12346190 synthetic"

"My owner's manual states that you should use GM p/n 1052271 gear oil, with NO additional friction modifier fluid."

My research indicates this is a non-synthetic oil. So far, the consensus seems to be to use synthetic oils...

12. Mike328

Mike328 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 19, 2002
    Boulder, CO
    Full Name:
    Mike
    For folks who got their oil replaced at a Ferrari dealer shop or some other Ferrari authorized shop, can you chime in which gear oil you use?

My suspiscion is that any 308/328 that meanders into any Ferrari authorized (FNA-sponsored or whatever) mechanic is going to get the AGIP treatment?

13. MARQ

MARQ Formula 3

Feb 9, 2002
    East Coast US
    Full Name:
    Marq

Mike- Just had this done a couple o' weeks ago by Ferrari of Washington....they use Shell, according to the invoice at least('88 328).

14. Mike328

Mike328 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 19, 2002
    Boulder, CO
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Thanks for the info... Shell Spirax 75W-90, I suppose?

Of course, that's their F1 sponsor, right?

15. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    Mike, we had a neat "tech session" sponsored by Ferrari of Seattle last spring (2003). In it, they explained that Ferrari is very careful to make sure that the lubricants they use are in almost all cases (rare exceptions) will be backwards compatible with older Ferraris. So this means that you can use the current Shell lubricants at least back to the 308 series with no problems (according to them).

16. Mike328

Mike328 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 19, 2002
    Boulder, CO
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Yes, I'm resurrecting this thread :).

I thought I would post info regarding ordering the AGIP Rotra LSX 75w-90 gear oil.

I ordered from American AGIP [(800) 992-9243]. Total cost for a case of 12 individual liters came to $80.48 with UPS ground shipping.

I'm putting this oil in this weekend, will post back how it goes.

--Mike

17. Mike328

Mike328 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 19, 2002
    Boulder, CO
    Full Name:
    Mike
    CORRECTION:

That number for American AGIP should be (800) 922-9243.

18. peterp

peterp F1 Veteran

Aug 31, 2002
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Peter
    Mike - let us know how it works out. I have AGIP LSX that replaced Mobil 1. Shifting is much better -- don't know if it is a better oil or because the Mobil 1 was old (about 5k miles). Second gear is better, but still need to be careful when cold. Chatter is reduced from Mobil 1, but I have had it happen with the LSX. I went with Agip because of the factory recommendation and the debate over chatter issues with NS (I bought the NS and it is still sitting on my shelf).

19. f355spider

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    Well, I added enough Redline "friction modifier" to my Redline 75w-90NS to now make it 2% slip additive (regular Redline 75w-90NS is 4%, and too much for the synchros, according to Redline; which may be debatible, btw).

The results are that I cannot induce any chatter when starting out from a stop and making a 90 degree turn. As Steve Magnusson surmised, I wonder if the standard Redline 75w-90 with the 4% friction modifier would be fine, and that Redline is being overly cautious with this synchro concern of theirs?

Also, now that I have 3,000 miles on this gear oil, I am noticing the "cold 2nd gear" syndrome return. I just skip and shift to 3rd for a couple miles, just like before. :)

Dave

20. TOM B

TOM B Formula 3

Jul 24, 2003
    Orange County, NY
    Full Name:
    Thomas Buckley
    Dave,

Seeing your post reminded me that I wanted to share some information .

Having driven 20M miles in the last year , my Mondial is a kind of rolling laboratory for real-life verification of various concepts. Prior to having a major service done last February @ 60M miles I had been using Redline 75W90 (based upon Redline's recommendation 2.5 years earlier when I purchased the car) I'm assuming that at the dealership they went by the book and put in Shell gearbox oil. Then after the discussions on this board , and a NEW recommendation from Redline, I started using Redline 75W90 NS and have been using it for the last 6M miles.

I'm sorry, but I haven't noticed ANY change in my gearbox. The cold-second-gear-issue remains unchanged and i've never noticed any "chatter" from the limited slip. Conclusions ? Since i've got 1/2 case of the Redline 75W90 left, i'll be mixing it 50/50 with the Redline 75W90 NS until used up. After that-----? It depends on what is being discussed here at thet point. :)

Tom

21. f355spider

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    Tom,
    Try this: With the car fully warmed up, come up to a stop light/sign, and signal for a right turn. When clear, accellerate briskly, sufficient to almost induce rear wheel spin, and see if you get the "chatter" or vibration from the diff. You may....that is the only time those of us that have experienced this. You will not notice it in normal driving.

Or, as you say, all may be well. :)

I'll be changing my gear oil this summer and will use one of the following:
    Shell
    Agip
    Royal Purple
    Redline 50/50 blend...

These seem to be proven products with a bunch of satisfied users.

22. Auraraptor

Auraraptor F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    Redline NS, I dont hear any chatters..yet.

23. enjoythemusic

enjoythemusic F1 World Champ

Apr 20, 2002
    Worldwide
    Full Name:
    Steven
    Must be the only guy using Amsoil here :(

Have no problems either :)

Enjoy(ing) the Drive,

Steven R. Rochlin

24. Mike328

Mike328 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 19, 2002
    Boulder, CO
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Back up to the top, just for old times sake. The more data points, the better!

25. f355spider

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    Good timing. I had Redline 75w-90 NS with 2% slip additive, eliminated the chatter from the diff, but my synchros started crunching....so I dumped it out, and refilled with NS, but this time only 1%. Seems the best compromise...just tiny bit of chatter, but no crunching from the synchros...cold shifting is fine again.

I believe my car may just be extra sensitive to the synchro thing...(maybe they are worn?)

Dave