What gearbox oil are you using in your 308/328? | Page 3 | FerrariChat

What gearbox oil are you using in your 308/328?

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by Mike328, Jan 27, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

?

What gearbox oil are you using in your 308/328?

1. Royal Purple 75W-90

2. Redline 75W-90 ** NS **

3. Redline 75W-90

4. Shell Spirax 75W-90

5. Mobil 1 75W-90

6. Castrol Hypoy/c 80W-90

7. Castrol Syntrax 75W-90

8. Swepco 201 80W-90

9. Agip Rotra LSX 75W-90

10. Valvoline Synthetic 75W-90

11. Chevron Supreme LS 80W-90

12. Other (specify below...)

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. yank05

yank05 Formula Junior

Nov 8, 2003
    New England
    Full Name:
    Anthony
    Hi,

Although I never had a problem with Redline 75W90 (with the additive), I just tried Royal Purple in my '77 308. The car shifts the same (like butter as far as Ferraris go), no chatter, and they claim their additive is non-corrosive.

Anthony

2. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Amsoil is good stuff! That's why!

I put in Royal Purple along with RP engine oil and their RP water treatment.

Life is good.

Had to buy it all at the local Ford dealer though! :(

3. bobwass

bobwass Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 26, 2003
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Bob Wass
    nice looking 328

4. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Thanks!!! :)

5. Spasso

Spasso F1 World Champ

Feb 16, 2003
    Land of Slugs & Moss
    Full Name:
    Han Solo
    I was shown the bearing cages in a 246 transaxle a few weeks ago. They are BRONZE. No brass syncros.

Now if I can just get a look at a 308 box..................

6. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    #56 BigTex, May 6, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  7. PeterS

PeterS Four Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 24, 2003
    Goodyear, AZ
    Full Name:
    PeterS
    ( I think a few of you are waiting for this post! )

I used none on my last drain and refill. I guess it would be a novel idea to use some this go-around!

8. jm3

jm3 F1 Rookie

Oct 3, 2002
    United States
    Full Name:
    JM3
    I can't tell you perfect this stuff is. No crunch, pops right into 2nd, even when cold. The limited slip works smooth also.

Peter S, if you show up on Saturday, I'll let you drive my car. Honest.

Jay

9. Spasso

Spasso F1 World Champ

Feb 16, 2003
    Land of Slugs & Moss
    Full Name:
    Han Solo
    ALAN!

...................er do you use limited slip additive with this one?

10. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Just watch those sharp turns, when cold!!!

11. Mike328

Mike328 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 19, 2002
    Boulder, CO
    Full Name:
    Mike
    It's been a year! Bumping this up so all of our new Ferrari owners can chime in...

12. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    Mike -- But it's been so long ago I need to change my vote ;)

Now using Royal Purple MaxGear 75W90

Was using Redline 75W90NS with 4.5% Redline friction modifier (which I believe is quasi-equivalent to Redline 75W90), but still had too much LSD chatter.

13. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    And Steve, how is the Royal Purple working out? Cold/warm shifting and the LSD?

Dave

14. Steve Magnusson

Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    Very well -- the Royal Purple completely eliminated all of the LSD chatter (and I was getting noticeable noise at every slow-speed 1st gear start when turning in either direction). This morning I did notice that my first (thoughtless) 1-2 upshift gave me just a hint of notchyness, but that was ~1 minute from a 45 deg F cold-start so no complaints so far.

The Redline was also very good from the shifting point of view so no complaints there either (but hard to enjoy after you've just let out a groan ;)). I can't really recall if the Redline also showed a little winter notchyness at 40~45 deg F cold starts or not. I really couldn't tell a shifting difference when running 0%, 2%, or 4.5% Friction Modifier, but perhaps if you're not having a shifting problem you won't.

15. AJS328

AJS328 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Apr 23, 2003
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Augustine Staino
    I wanted to post since I just changed the gear oil in my '87 328 GTS. On Steve M's recommendation I went with Royal Purple 75W90 Synthetic. HUGE IMPROVEMENT! It completely eliminated the rear diff chatter/grabbing that I was experiencing with the Redline 75W90 NS and the shifting has improved markedly too. In fact, the 1-2 shift is now the slickest I've felt so far in this car and this is the third different gear oil that I've tried. Anyway, I know that these cars are all different but my car likes the RP! Thank you Steve! :)

16. Steve Magnusson

Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    Glad that the Royal Purple is working well for you Gus, but I am a little surprised that you are reporting a better cold 1-2 upshift (but it seems there is just a lot a variablity in these issues car-to-car). Now that I've had a couple of winters experience with the Royal Purple, I would have to say that the Redline 75W90NS was/is a little better on the cold 1-2 upshift, but the LSD chatter was just terrible. Somehow though we must be the minority, because (with so many others using Redline NS) you and I are the only ones reporting an LSD chatter problem.

17. ClydeM

ClydeM F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Wayne, NJ
    Full Name:
    Clyde E. McMurdy
    I run Swepco. No LSD chatter. But 1-2 shift in when the car isn't warm is terrible. AGIP was better. I'll try purple shortly.

18. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    Steve,
    What I noticed was as the Redline 75w-90 NS broke in, the LSD chatter became less and less. On my 355 I never even had any LSD chatter from the start. I did have it in my 328GTS, but it went away. BUT, I also noticed that with time, the 2nd gear shifting problem returned too. Really noticed it after 1.5 years on my 355. Only 8k miles or so, but maybe a change was in order.

I presently have the Shell stuff in my 355, and it shifts excellently, even from cold, but time will tell how this holds up.

19. James in Denver

James in Denver Formula 3

May 23, 2006
    Centennial Colorado
    Full Name:
    James in Denver
    WOW! Resurrecting an old thread.

I just changed the gear oil from ??????? (dunno, PO did it) to Redline 75w90NS, there was IMMEDIATE improvement. I let my car warm up for 8 - 10 minutes before moving it to get it to op temp and even then, I'd have to skip 2nd and go to third. While I didnt really notice it when I got it, it was more difficult to shift, specifically downshifting.

It was like night and day when I changed to the Redline, it went into gear very easily, when cold and when I downshift, drastic improvement. I'm sold.

James in Denver

20. ducowti

ducowti Formula 3

Jan 27, 2008
    NY/SC
    Full Name:
    David
    Forgive my ignorance but I've got a couple questions on this gear oil bit:
    1. Is RedLine, to pick one, usually locally available (Walmart, NAPA, Autozone, etc)?
    2. How often should the gear oil be changed?

I just got my 328 and figure it's a good idea to change it since I know the PO didn't do it in 3 yrs.

Thanks for helping a noob out.

21. JohnnyS

JohnnyS F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 19, 2006
    Illinois
    Full Name:
    John
    I have not found RedLine in stores. Had to order mine over the Internet. I used 75W-90NS, but added syncro additive. Works well. I had the gear oil changed by a Ferrari dealer and they used a GM syncromesh oil that worked well also. I change mine every year.

22. AJS328

AJS328 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Apr 23, 2003
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Augustine Staino
    To be fair, I haven't tried the 1-2 shift from dead cold yet. My car was stationary for about a month so I let her run for about 10 minutes before I drove away. The shift was pretty good at first and excellent as the oil heated up. I will let you know today how it works from cold when I drive to work.

The rear diff chatter, on the other hand, was really bad with the Redline. In fact, I've tried the Redline 75w90 NS twice, on two different 328's, and the chatter was horrible on both. The Royal Purple has absolutely, positively, 100% eliminated it. Even if the gearbox doesn't shift as slick as with the RL, (which I believe it does) I am satisfied because the chatter bothered me infinitely more than having to wait a few minutes to use 2nd gear.

23. luckydynes

luckydynes F1 Rookie

Jan 25, 2004
    CA and OR
    Full Name:
    pit bull

One of my 308 gearboxes I rebuilt had the diff chatter with inexpensive gear oil . .. added some LSD friction modifier and it went away. I've changed the gearbox oil probably 4 or 5 times since the rebuild with the same oil and no chatter developed. No issues shifting 1-2 when cold . .. I do notice shift feel being a little heavier after 40 hrs on the oil which is when I change it with engine oil.

People have questioned why change the oil so frequently . . unlike most cars, the diff clutch mat'l gets into the shfit rods/synchros which I think makes it shift a bit heavier after 40 hrs . .. I can visually see a black film on the shift rods FWIW.

Sean

24. AJS328

AJS328 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Apr 23, 2003
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Augustine Staino
    Here is what I noticed when driving my car from cold this morning. The 1-2 shift from dead cold was somewhat reluctant but it did go into gear. With every shift it got better. After it warmed up it was super slick just like yesterday. I even noticed that the 4-5 shift on the highway is smoother than it was before. Again, there was zero rear diff chatter. I am very satisfied.

25. FandLcars

FandLcars F1 Rookie

Aug 6, 2006
    Tempe, Az
    Full Name:
    Rick Schumm
    For those wanting to buy Redline products, Jeggs has a full lineup and seemed to have about the best prices. Check their website. BTW- I'm not affiliated with them in any way.