what happened to 0446 & 0424 | FerrariChat

what happened to 0446 & 0424

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by tongascrew, Sep 30, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. tongascrew

tongascrew F1 Rookie

Jan 3, 2006
    tewksbury
    Full Name:
    george burgess
    0446 [#1] 735S sold or leased to Francois Piicard in 1954. Raced by Picard in 1954, raced by Paul Maret in 1955. Late 1955 returned to Ferrari by Picard and exchanged for 0556 500 Mondiale which was renumbered to 0446 for carnet reasons. This is now 0446 {#2]. Forza #31 states that 0446{#1] may have been rebuilt as a 750 from the 735, renumbered to 0502 and sold as new to Bill Doheney for Ernie McAfee to race in1955in America This puts this car in two places at the same time as 0446[#1]
    was being raced by Maret in Europe in 1955. So what happened to 0446[#1]? Was it renumbered to 0556 and if so did it have 500, 735 or 750 engine or was it just "never built"
    Now 0424 was also an exchaange for 0564 which was the #7th series II Mondiale. 0564 was renumbered at the factory to 0424 presumably for the same carnet reasons. So what happened to the original 0424? Lets hear from you Mondiale/Monza experts. tongascrew

2. Bryanp

Bryanp F1 Rookie

Aug 13, 2002
    Santa Fe, NM
    We have owned the series II 500 Mondial, 0556(0446)MD since 1960. The convention for the renumbered cars is to put the sequential number first (i.e., the s/n the car SHOULD have received) followed by the parenthetical of the telaio number the factory actually gave the car. I will post a more complete history later tonight. Through no fault of your own, you have repeated the incorrrect statement that 0556 was "re-numbered" to 0446. This error comes from barchetta.cc although they were informed of this error (and other regarding the cars' histories) many years ago. 0556(0446)MD has never worn any other number other than "0446" - there is no evidence of re-stamping. By virtue of timing, Picard traded the 735 Sport that originally wore 0446 as the 500 Mondial was being prepared at the factory. It was stamped "0446" and handed over to Picard in May 1955.

The theory you describe from Forza 31 involving 0502M is incorrect - I'll have to go back and check that issue. The 735S that was originally 0446 and subsequently 0556, still wears 0556 today, living in France. It has always had and still has a 735 motor. This car has no relation to the 750 Monza 0502M.

I have a picture of the 735S 0446(0556) together in the same race w/ the 500 Mondial 0556(0446)MD. The race is the 1955 GP of Venezuela (November 55); the 735S is driven by DeGraffenreid and the 500 Mondial is driven by Castellotti. It caused a whole lot of head-scratching to figure out that one when we first started our serious research into these cars 25 years ago! I'll have to post it later - it is not on this computer.

Regarding 0424/0564. You are correct that this is a carnet/tax-driven renumbering by the factory. The whereabouts of the original 0424 - a Pininfarina-bodied Series I 500 Mondial -are unknown.

3. Maximillian575GTC

Sep 28, 2006
    NAS/NCE/YYZ
    Full Name:
    Max
    I do know that there is a 500 Mondial in Southern Italy that is owned by the Marchese Luigi di Francia... His doesn't appear on any of the databases... Of the 30ish built how many are AWOL? I know that he's had it for quite some time... I don't think it has run in ages--the gentleman is in his 90's...

I'll be back south next week and will take some pictures for you to confirm. (no worries I'll try to get a picture with a chassis number in there)

Best,
    M

4. Bryanp

Bryanp F1 Rookie

Aug 13, 2002
    Santa Fe, NM
    that would be fantastic, Max. You are correct - there were about 20 Series I Mondials (both PF-bodied and Scaglietti-bodied) and, in our opinion, 8 Series II cars.

5. tongascrew

tongascrew F1 Rookie

Jan 3, 2006
    tewksbury
    Full Name:
    george burgess
    maximillion, Yes please. The more photos the better. Any info you can get about the history of this car would be great. Even if you can't get a picture if the ID plate just a statement of the sn number will do.We wi;ll lookforward to you efforts. tongascrew

6. tongascrew

tongascrew F1 Rookie

Jan 3, 2006
    tewksbury
    Full Name:
    george burgess
    Thanks for you info. I have a small copy of your photo from Venezuela 1955 but it is hard to tell which car is which. Can you help. Thanks tongascrew

7. Aardy

Aardy F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Feb 21, 2004
    France
    Full Name:
    Cyril TESTE
    His car was the number 8...

8. Bryanp

Bryanp F1 Rookie

Aug 13, 2002
    Santa Fe, NM
    #8 Bryanp, Oct 2, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    this is the photo - I have posted it before on F-chat. The #8 car is the S. II 500 Mondial 0556(0446)MD. The car immediately behind it is the 735S 0446(0556). Eugenio Castellotti is at the wheel of #8; it is the only picture we have of him driving the car. Harry Schell started the race in the car but was relieved by EC.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

9. Boudewijn

Boudewijn F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

May 15, 2003
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Boudewijn Berkhoff
    #9 Boudewijn, Oct 2, 2007
  10. ArtS

ArtS F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Central NJ
    Boudewijn,

That's cool! I haven't seen that picture before.

Regards,

Art S.

11. Bryanp

Bryanp F1 Rookie

Aug 13, 2002
    Santa Fe, NM
    thanks, Boudewijn, I'll pass that on. My guess is that a Ferrari mechanic is driving in that shot, only because of the tell-tale khaki overalls that the Ferrari crews wore in that period. You can also clearly see the SF shield that was put on only for this race. Before this race, it was a privateer car owned and raced by Picard and then by Munaron - not as a works car, so no shields. This shot shows the staging area before the race; we have this shot and others that I believe were taken from a hotel balcony. It's amazing how dark blue the car is in that shot. We were fortunate enough to find areas of original, non-UV damaged French Racing Blue behind the bezels of the gauges - so we have been able to come up w/ an exact color match and not have to depend on the few color photographs of the period. Rubirosa bought the car right after the GP and painted it dark blue in time for the '56 12 Hours of Sebring where he and Jim Pauley drove it to first in class (#33).

12. michael bayer

michael bayer Formula 3

Aug 4, 2004
    This is a terrific discussion, the very best part of FChat. Bravo all.

13. Bryanp

Bryanp F1 Rookie

Aug 13, 2002
    Santa Fe, NM
    Max - I'm bumping this thread back to the top to see if you had a chance to see/photograph the Mondial.

14. NürScud

NürScud F1 Veteran

Nov 3, 2012
  15. Admiral Goodwrench

Admiral Goodwrench Formula Junior

Mar 2, 2005
    Santa Fe, New Mexico
    Full Name:
    Robert Phillips
    I want to make certain that you know that this Series II 500 Mondial is 0564(0424)/MD and not the original 0424/MD (a Series I 500 Mondial). By using the label 0564(0424)/MD I indicate that it was 0564 in manufacturing sequence but stamped 0424 for various reasons.

Best regards,

16. NürScud

NürScud F1 Veteran

Nov 3, 2012
    I admit that this was unknown to me.

Thank you for the clarification.

:)

17. Admiral Goodwrench

Mar 2, 2005
    Santa Fe, New Mexico
    Full Name:
    Robert Phillips
    You are welcome. I do wonder where the original 0424/MD is now.

Best regards,

18. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    #18 Marcel Massini, Nov 13, 2015
    Well, the factory in April 2011 has certified the blue car 0564 MD as 0424.

Marcel Massini
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

19. Admiral Goodwrench

Mar 2, 2005
    Santa Fe, New Mexico
    Full Name:
    Robert Phillips
    Dear Marcel,

We should both now throw away our contrary files since the factory has spoken!

Best regards,

20. BIRA

BIRA Formula Junior

Jun 15, 2007
    Hi Robert and Marcel,
    There was a reason for that. The car is stamped as 424. This is the only number that can be read stamped ( as the number underneath while possibly visible with some advance technology,,) cannot be read with normal eyes.
    But the car was sold as 424MD when sold by Ferrari to Du Montant ( this is actually the interesting part of the story, as Ferrari kept the car in lieu of payment of the work and finally sold it with the approval of Dupont for the price of work plus the price of 20 years of storage!) there is an official invoice to that effect, so the factory accepted the evidence ( of the invoice) and recognized it was 424MD and therefore avoided to decide which number it was before,,,

Robert I don't know if you certified your car, but I am sure that certifying cars which have been re stamped is a complex process as the factory will hesitate to confirm they did so and ask for proof which is obviously very difficult to find and show.
    Incidentally and referring to another car in same sale, they are not the only ones, seem Mercedes has some difficulties to open its files for cars that seem to have been raced by the factory and then sold as new cars to other customers,,,for obvious reasons...if the story is correct.

21. BIRA

BIRA Formula Junior

Jun 15, 2007
    This is also why I am using, sorry Admiral to contradict you, the reverse number logic and always used 424 (564) because when you change identity(?!?) or gender ( for those who did) your official identity is indeed the new one...I am sure the VIN number on the UK car is 424 MD and I am sure it was the identification on the previous German brief ( paper).
    I think your car is registered, what is the VIN number for it?
    Thanks

22. NürScud

NürScud F1 Veteran

Nov 3, 2012
    Interesting.

Thank you again.

23. Admiral Goodwrench

Mar 2, 2005
    Santa Fe, New Mexico
    Full Name:
    Robert Phillips
    Dear Pierre,

We will be forever stuck in the legal fiction of our two cars. We both know that your (former) 500 Mondial Series II was built and delivered a year after the original serial 0424/MD was first used on a 500 Mondial Series I car. We also know that my car was built a year after the original serial 0446/MD was used on a 735 Sport.

The current crop of civil servants in the motor vehicle departments go simplistically by the stamping on the chassis, so the legal fiction continues as your car was registered as 0424/MD and mine is registered as 0446/MD. This bureaucratic process does nothing to change the fact that your car was built sequentially as 0564/MD and mine as 0556/MD. Hence over the past many years, at least in the historians nomenclature, the cars are generally known for example as 0556(0446)/MD which reads “0556 stamped as 0446.” Gerald Roush suggested this format many years ago to also simplify his automated sequencing by serial numbers in his file.

I am really surprised that the factory now acknowledges the fact that they have sold new cars a year apart with the same serial numbers. One would have thought that their legal department would have had second thoughts about such an admission as I suspect that it was an illegal act. One wonders what the factory will do some day when the original 0424/MD surfaces and applies for certification.

Best regards,

PS Sorry dinner in Monterey did not work out, perhaps at Cavallino in January?

Robert

24. kare

kare F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Nov 11, 2003
    I for one have very hard time understanding this numbering system. There are so many different cases of renumbered cars that trying to use a standardized way of describing them all makes things very difficult. Some of the cases are so hard to follow that we really don't need a secret code to make things more complicated. In some of the cases we don't even necessarily know the original serial number...

25. BBBBBBB

BBBBBBB Formula Junior

Jun 6, 2015
    Full Name:
    Ben
    #25 BBBBBBB, Nov 15, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2015
    Oh they did similar things still in the early 90ies, one of my 600 SEC Coupe was sold by them to me as 1995 model car according to the contract and their words, but as i later figured out is was built a couple of years earlier (1993)...

and yes my seller was not a small stealer-dealer, but the factory itself...

Ben