What happened to my Caymus? | FerrariChat

What happened to my Caymus?

Discussion in 'Drink, Smoke, and Fine Dining' started by UpNorth, May 19, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. UpNorth

UpNorth Formula 3
    Owner

Sep 30, 2006
    Quebec, Canada
    Full Name:
    Francois
    Is it me or what?
    I'm not talking about the Special Selection but the regular bottle.
    I have been a fan of this wine since the mid 90'.
    But since the 40th anniversary of the brand I have a problem.
    Wayyyy too much extraction!
    I opened with great anticipation a bottle of 2012 (40th anni.) to great displeasure...felt like drinking cough syrup!
    Fast forward and here I am at their place in Napa last year.
    I ask the guy who is in charge of the tasting room what happened since I didn't like it.
    He replies: "I didn't like it either."
    So tonight I opened a 2014 because I read that it is supposed to be a classic Caymus...bummer! Same syrup...
    Am I the only one? Can someboby give me an explanation? Is it me or what?
    And a 1 liter bottle instead of the regular 750 ml...why? Trying to win back customers with more stuff??

2. Steelton Keith

Steelton Keith F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 19, 2009
    Raleigh NC
    Full Name:
    Keith Hall
    Francois...your post is a coincidence. A friend opened a bottle of the 2012 regular bottling a couple of weeks ago at dinner. We did not decant it, just opened it about 90 minutes prior to dinner. First whiffs were really disappointing. I gave the wine a vigorous pour into the glasses- proper Christianhuttes. I kept looking for the signature depth and complexities, not there. Not an unpleasant wine, just totally unremarkable. Many Napa winemakers did very well with the 2012 vintage.

3. ggjjr

ggjjr Formula Junior

Nov 11, 2003
    Detroit
    Full Name:
    George
    It seems to me that many of the California Cabs that were once very, very good, have fallen in quality in the last few years. I wonder if they are using the grapes that used to be in these wines in the ultra-expensive ones. I have not been impressed with the $40-$125 Cabs in a while, with respect to their prices.

4. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    I wonder if it is drought related? Caymus is a good label. Surprising unless it is region wide.

2012 is pretty much when it started. Up north in the wine country gets hammered with water restrictions pretty early in drought years. Have to keep those LA swimming pools full and golf courses green don't you know.

Now they have 200% normal snow and a warm spring. Mud slides here we come.

5. Steelton Keith

Steelton Keith F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 19, 2009
    Raleigh NC
    Full Name:
    Keith Hall
    "Thirsty Vine, Excellent wine"

6. UpNorth

UpNorth Formula 3
    Owner

Sep 30, 2006
    Quebec, Canada
    Full Name:
    Francois
    Yes, usually but maybe too thirsty makes it turn into syrup...
    Brian is right when he says it is a good label...hopefully water coming their way (w/o mudslide!) will help in the next crop or I'm out!